5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, a cook's cookbook.
Published on 1 Mar 2009 by Axeros

3.0 out of 5 stars About time
Like many people I was re-ordering this volume, having owned a copy many years ago - and it was what got me into baking. However, it really is about time that this iconic book had English and/ or metric measurements, or at the least a conversion table.
Published 18 months ago by M. Paine

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, a cook's cookbook., 1 Mar 2009
I've had this book for 15 years now. It taught me how to make bread - this of all the books I tried back then was the one that did it. The style is clear, and its approach eminently practical. For muffins it's great too. One of the things I like best is the series of "something missing" recipes, where the E.E.Brown shows how to get around various missing ingredients. These recipes have saved me on many occasions. Long gone are the days when I didn't know how to bake myself a loaf of bread or a tray of muffins. And of all the books in our kitchen, this one still sees regular use - along with Larousse ...

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books ever, 6 July 2011
Although I knew how to make bread before I bought this book, I can say with certainty that Edward Epse's excellent advice has taken my baking skills onto a whole new level. There are so many wonderful recipes in here including Swedish rye bread (with orange peel and caraway seeds - yum!), oat bread, rosemary foccacia, unyeasted Tibetan barley bread and muffins, cakes, pastries and many more. Bread making is something I find to be very therapeutic and to have a delicious loaf at the end of it is a great bonus. It is much easier than many people would think (seriously, you really don't need a bread maker - use your hands to feel the beautiful texture of just-risen dough) and this book is all you need to explore baking for the rest of your life. As if all the practical and down-to-earth instruction on kneading and proving wasn't enough, Epse adds little nuggets of Zen wisdom and poetry in amongst it all to keep your kitchen a calm place. There really aren't enough books in existence like this one. It's a gem.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great introduction to baking bread, 28 April 1998
By A Customer
This is a great basic how-to book, explaining the process of baking bread clearly and simply. The illustrations are very helpful, and the recipes are wonderful -- my favorite is the Swedish Summer Rye. As with all well-loved cookbooks, my copy is battered and stained. If you want to learn to bake bread, this is the place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars More of a "cooking book" than a "cook book"., 7 Aug 1998
By A Customer
My ex-husband has "my" copy of the original 1970 version of *The Tassajara Bread Book*, so a few years ago I just had to run out and get the "Revised & Updated Edition" published in 1986. More than merely a book of recipes, it is a truly bonny bread book with marvelously detailed instructions and diagrams as was the original, but I must say Edward Brown's recipe for Tibetan Barley Bread alone is worth the price of this book.
*The Tassajara Bread Book* is more of a "cooking book" than a "cook book". Janet@netcom.com says *The Tassajara Bread Book* is "a great introduction to baking bread" because "this is a great basic how-to book". As with bread itself, "basic" is simply some flour mixed with enough water to form a dough; anything else we do to it merely makes it "civilized". I do not know how "civilized" Janet's baking is, nor do I know how much time she has just for bre! ad making, but for those of us who lead hectic lives always on the go but still want to minimize the amount of preprocessed and junk foods we eat *The Tassajara Bread Book* is top drawer.
My only dissatisfaction is that Edward Brown's *The Tassajara Cooking Book*, an excellent companion to this one, seems to be out-of-print at this time. Of course, my ex-husband has "my" copy of the original 1970 version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bread book, 21 Oct 2013
For me this is such a classic....a must have. Tons of different kinds of bread.....lots of ideas for creative baking....especially for the winter when staying at home and baking is a wonderful, warm and cosy activity!

3.0 out of 5 stars About time, 11 Jun 2013
M. Paine "Martin Paine" (West Wales) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tassajara Bread Book, 30 Dec 2012
I bought this when I started to make bread on a regular basis. My neighbour and good friend had a copy of the original. Was very pleased with the book and have used it a lot. So far I've had great results from the flat breads as well as normal loaf shapes.

5.0 out of 5 stars tassajara bread book, 14 Feb 2012
A bread book from the 1960's written by an American buddhist. In my opinion the best bread recipes ever. It is abit time consuming but good results everytime. The mix is sloppy and needs courage to believe that it will work, but it does!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Breadbook, 29 Aug 2011
A. Morris "Apple" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tassajara Bread Book (Paperback)
I am so happy to have found this book, great recipes and techniques! Recommended to those who want to improve their breadmaking

4.0 out of 5 stars This book demystifies the glorious act of bread-baking!, 24 Jan 1999
By A Customer
It seems as if there are those who would be happier if bread making remained shrouded in mystery! This book makes the very therapeutic and giving experience of making bread... an act of joy.

The Tassajara Bread Book
The Tassajara Bread Book by Edward Espe Brown (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2009)
Used & New from: £34.23