Buyer Beware. This book is not a reprint of "How to Wrap Five Eggs" as the title would imply, but is a reprint of the later book "How to Wrap Five More Eggs".
Published on 7 Dec 2009 by E. C. S. Sanchez

3.0 out of 5 stars Damned with faint praise...
First of all, let me caution - as others have - about the disparity in editions. But I knew what I was buying. My previous copy of this book had been loaned and not returned. Having been several dozen times bitten before it dawned on me to become twice shy, these days I provide the address of the local public library for people who want to borrow books!

Even...
Published on 25 Aug 2011 by Pickwick

4.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware.This book is actually a reprint of How to Wrap Five More Eggs, 7 Dec 2009
This review is from: How to Wrap Five Eggs: Traditional Japanese Packaging (Paperback)
Seemingly the original `How to Wrap Five Eggs' was a striking hardbound book first published in English by Weatherhill and Harper and Rowe in 1967, with a foreword by George Nelson. This book is not a reprint of the 1967 book, but a reprint of How to Wrap Five More Eggs, first published in 1975 in connection with a Japan Society exhibit on traditional Japanese packaging, which contained much of the material from the 1967 book. The first edition of "How to Wrap Five More Eggs" seemingly has some colour pictures, and this reprint has elegant black and white photos. Both the 1967 book and the 1975 book are difficult to obtain, and this inexpensive version is definitely worth buying for those who are interested in Japanese culture.

3.0 out of 5 stars Damned with faint praise..., 25 Aug 2011

Even though I'd been disappointed with my first (and more expensive) purchase of this title, I missed it enough not to hesitate to replace it at a now much lower price.

So why again buy a book I'd already been disappointed with? Because it remains such a nice book overall. The annoyance lies in the fact it could have been so much nicer. The appeal of this book revolves around its illustrations - these are attractive - in colour they might have been gorgeous. Who on earth ever decided to produce a book like this in monochrome?

That all said I do recommend this book - but only if you can find it at a substantial discount - a tenner would be my limit. It is NOT worth the premium prices asked by so many vendors. It's a coffee table book rather than a learned tome, but my second copy will be in my small bedside bookcase for quite a while.

And the publishers really do need to get the nonsense about relative editions sorted out. I'm happy to assume it's carelessness - many might take it for dishonesty.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Wrap Five Eggs, 4 Feb 2009
Just as I remember it the first time I read it. Glad its still in print!

How to Wrap Five Eggs: Traditional Japanese Packaging
How to Wrap Five Eggs: Traditional Japanese Packaging by Hideyuki Oka (Paperback - 21 Nov 2008)