4.0 out of 5 stars Intuitive, revealing, helpful!, 4 Jun 2010
This review is from: To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop (Paperback)
A great read, covers the root causes of over-shopping, from social pressures to psychological compulsions, also offers helpful tips & advice on living within one's means and overcoming urges to shop for shopping's sake.

Would recommend to anyone who doesn't seem to know wher their bank balance goes every month.

Also purchasing the book brought about one of life's ironic moments when, having just completed the purchase, I was presented by an advert offering me the chance to take an Amazon credit card(!) at only 16.9% interest. You can but smile :)

5.0 out of 5 stars On the road to recovery?, 28 Oct 2009
Amber (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
Yep I confess I have a shopping problem and this book has delped me get my life sorted. I have seen a rapid and major turn around in my finances. If its time you took a reality check, I recommend this book.

Yes it can be very american in places but it translates well. We overshop to fill up a need and we need to address that need before we end up in a mountain of debt. Slightly outdated now the credit crunch as hit but the woman doesn't claim to be psychic. The author does talk alot of sense though.

There is also a handy detachable card to put in your purse/wallet etc. Really cannot recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely life-changing., 11 Nov 2013
Rowan "Rowan" (Builth Wells Powys) - See all my reviews
I was in a 30+ year trap of 'binge buying' - the buzz of buying (way beyond my means) and the equal buzz of returning goods for refund. It was always 'there' in my psyche - a fix for lonely, desperate moments as a child in a dysfunctional family. I realised it was actually wrong, an illness, uncontrolled at 50 years old, 5 years following my Mum's death. As the years crept by, without realising it - I turned into a secret online clothes buyer who used to get a taxi home at lunchtimes to hide the expensive purchases landing on the doorstep from my worried husband. I'd hoard and hoard the beautiful, elegant and wildly expensive clothes from him and from myself. Debt wasnt the word for it - I was drowning in bills. I googled binge buying and landed on this wonderful book. The very act of choosing it helped me to own up and shout it out inside - I am a binge buyer and I NEED help! This book IS the help I needed. I'm not going to say anymore except if you find yourself online at 3am in the mornings with your credit card to hand and dreams in your head of changing your life via fancy gorgeous outfits which you order with glee, dread arriving and gibber with nerves until your refund arrives - this is for you. Me, I'm halfway to being 'cured' - I feel such pride, self worth and strength - from everything within this wonderful book by a very kind, supportive, honest, intelligent author. Thank you April! x

5.0 out of 5 stars Only works if you really want to change., 16 Jan 2014
My shopping habit had reduced by the time I was only half way through the book. You have to do the exercises for it to work, you have to be ready for and committed to change and you have to be ready to face up to the real reason you over-shop (which might be upsetting for some). If you shop too much and can't afford therapy as well read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful, 24 July 2013
I am amongst the world's worst spendaholics and this book has been a great help in understandingwhy and how I can learn to control it.

To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop
To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop by April Lane Benson (Paperback - 1 Jan 2009)
11.12