5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful in its simplicity ...
I am a strong advocate of using natural methods to get my body in balance including being in harmony with food and eating. Like most people out there, I am susceptible to the constant bombardment of messages about food - what to eat, how to eat, when to eat, how many calories I should take in and in what form, don't eat dairy products, sugar is poison, eat more salad,...
Published on 23 Aug. 2009 by Red

2.0 out of 5 stars I appreciate the author's efforts but the section where she tells you to hide tempting foods and to use healthier dupes to "pret
This book is ok. I appreciate the author's efforts but the section where she tells you to hide tempting foods and to use healthier dupes to "pretend" its the fattening chocolatey foods you love is not good advice at all. The idea should be to eat whatever you want but learn to trust yourself and tune in to what it tastes like so you find you don't actually love...
Published 28 days ago by Luke Dillon Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars rediscover eating!, 17 July 2013
After years of dieting on and off, trying to shift 2 pounds, 4 pounds or even a stone, I had not realised how confused I had become around food. My head had become so full of thinking about food, I wasn't able to enjoy food.

This is simply a wonderful book! I am eating about half of what I did before, not because I am trying to cut back, or using will power, but because I can finally feel when I am hungry, what I might like to eat, and when I feel I should stop eating. I had no idea that I could feel actual joy when eating.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read...:), 5 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Mindful Eating: Free Yourself from Overeating and Other Unhealthy Relationships with Food (Paperback)
Really worthwhile reading. While I am not overweight, this helped me to understand why I get those days when my eating is totally out of control and my appetite is insatiable. I love the Buddhist element too :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooooo helpful, 27 May 2014
The ideas in this book have radically helped me alter my eating habits. It is practical, insightful and robust written with a heart of compassion with years of experience. As someone who needs help with managing her eating, I often here Bays voice reminding me of the bigger issues at play. Highly, highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, 21 Sept. 2013
Mindfulness is taking over my mind! Great Stuff! Amazon says that 12 more words are required. Is this enough? Now!

5.0 out of 5 stars simply written and accessible, 8 Oct. 2013
This is a delightful book which I have re-ordered for a friend as it offers simple and thought provoking guidelines for reassessing and changing the relationships with food and eating

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising, 9 Sept. 2013
I. Darren (Fi) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Healthy eating need not be synonymous with boring eating. Food is a thing to enjoy visually and all our senses can devour what we are eating or drinking so why, so often when it is time to think about our expanding waistline and take a bit of a health kick, do we often sacrifice our other senses too?

Mindful eating has been one of the key tenants held by Miraval Resort & Spa in Tucson, Arizona (USA) where this resort seeks to make guests relax, refocus and maybe get all of the senses (tummy included) back in trim. The resort's chefs have tried to invigorate the senses whilst not starving them of gastronomic stimuli and judging by this book (the reviewer has not visited the resort) it looks like they have got a good thing going. Through this book you are able to make your own healthy, tasty and appealing dishes at home. If you've been a guest at the resort maybe you can relive some good memories at the same time!
The book begins with the usual introductions and encouraging words before a fairly typical brief overview about kitchen equipment, product sourcing, safety and the like. Same old, same old to a jaded reviewer but the reader might find the odd nugget or two and enjoy a look behind the scenes.
Onto the recipes. These are split between the resort's "Cactus Flower Restaurant & Coyote Moon" for everything except drinks and smoothies as they fall into Palm Court's bailiwick. Nibbles, dips and snacks, along with cocktails in turn belong to The Brave Bill Lounge and The Oasis. To be honest, a guest might appreciate and understand this differentiation and need to segment. The average reader probably won't. It just feels divisive and gets in the way.
It is said that a picture can be worth a thousand words. Our response: yum, yum, yum, yum and yum! The colour photography makes the dishes appear to come out of the book (or screen - this review has been made using a digital copy of the book so this reviewer has faced the torture of having luxurious food literally hanging in front of his mouth!). Looking at the pictures alone takes your mind of any niggles that might have formed.
There are a number of recipes that, were it not for the photographs, might have remained in relative obscurity. The Breakfast Parfait, for example, is a simple dish but it just looks so yummy and tasty (and this, from a reviewer who often prefers the "Full English" or similar heavier breakfast). Not all dishes feature their own photograph, which is a shame, as even a passport-sized little picture would be better than nothing. Whatever your culinary preferences and prejudices you may be pleasantly surprised by the range and selection of the recipes. Each recipe is, itself, well laid-out with step-by-step instructions, the occasional hint or scene-setter intermingled in for good measure. As you would expect there is full nutritional information to boot. Sadly no "at a glance" typical preparation and cooking time that we tend to obsess about at YUM as it can make a difference to the browsing, aspiring cook who is stuck for an idea or two.
At the end things grind to a halt suddenly. One minute you are indulging on the various recipes and then, boof, you are straight at the admittedly excellent, comprehensive index. The book has a great way of luring you in and encouraging you to read on when you should be thinking about cooking something. Maybe there is a hidden, subliminal relaxation message being perpetuated through the printed word...
So, in conclusion, despite the niggles and slight irritations this is a good little book. The price seems a little high, but maybe the physical book has a presence or aura that we could not determine with this digital review example. You don't mind paying a few dollars more for a quality hardback book that could be a coffee-table favourite. At half the price it might be a no-brainer sight-unseen, so at this price level unless there are any price promotions you may wish to check it out at a bookstore first. It is a good, worthy tome that yielded some good recipes and inspired thoughts to boot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 3 Dec. 2013
Mr. Sheik Farook Jauforally (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
WELL RECOMMENDED
Excellent book to read. Was recommended by a doctor and am well pleased with it. Good ideas about losing weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars good reading, makes you pay attention to what is ..., 6 Sept. 2014
Interesting perspective, good reading, makes you pay attention to what is happening inside you and around you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug. 2014
it has changed the way I think and act about food

5.0 out of 5 stars Self help, 21 Aug. 2014
Doesn't work, for me,found hard to understand