5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Version of a Wonderful Text, 7 Feb 2010
This review is from: Dhammapada: A New Translation of the Buddhist Classic with Annotations (Paperback)
The Dhammapada is one of the most widely read Buddhist texts in the West and is probably one of the most frequently translated. It is often considered, along with works like the Baghavad Gita and the Tao Te Ching to be a classic of world religious literature and as such, of interest to many who would not consider themselves Buddhist.

This version, by Gil Fronsdal, who has trained within both the Soto Zen and the insight meditation tradition of Theravada Buddhism for many years and has a Ph.D. in Buddhist studies from Stanford, is my translation of choice.

The highly respected translator of Buddhist texts Carl Bielefeldt, of Stanford University, (who is thus qualified to comment on the quality of this translation) has said "A fine new translation of an ancient classic. Fronsdal's balance of fidelity to the text and sensitivity to its spirit is perfect. A book to be treasured." and Bhante Gunaratana, of the Bhavana Society has said "I have read many Dhammapada translations in several languages, but never have I come across such a crisp, precise, and lucid translation as this."

This particular translation is also available in audio book form, which is most welcome The Dhammapada: Teachings of the Buddha - Book and Audio-CD Set and as a Kindle edition The Dhammapada: A New Translation of the Buddhist Classic with Annotations which for some reason, at the time of writing, is not available in the formats box above. It also won't come up if you search under 'Gil Fronsdal' in the Kindle Store.

Highly recommended both for those interested in Buddhism and those interested in world religious literature. For those who are interested, I also recommend another fine version translated by Eknath Easwaran The Dhammapada (Classics of Indian Spirituality).

5.0 out of 5 stars Dhammapada, 14 Dec 2011
Not only is this an excellent translation, well supported in its notes, it also arrived within two days of placing the order. I cannot say much about its content - I'm only capable of saying that, for me, it's a very important text which has been beautifully rendered. Thank you, Gil Fronsdal for your work and thank you also, The Speaking Tree for such a prompt and reasonably priced service.

5.0 out of 5 stars All that we are arises from all that we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become., 29 Jan 2010
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I am not a Buddhist, yet I recognise good wisdom when I see it. This gives me a new perspective on my actual beliefs, and enhances them.

This work was recommended to me by a self improvement guru, and the Dhammapada proves that real wisdom is timeless. Dating back 2,500 years, it compares with other classic works I have read such as Tao Te Ching: An Illustrated Journey, Bhagavad Gita, and, of course the Bible, and more recent works such as The Prophet.

When I was reading quotations on wisdom, I was very impressed by the wisdom of Buddha. There are some common themes running through these works.

Naturally, I don't agree with everything, the passionless existence, but I understand where he is coming from. I prefer the idea of attachment to the Christian concept of sin.

Some quotes:

The way is in the heart, not in the sky.

You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

Hate does not conquer hate. Only love can conquer hate, that is a universal law.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.

A wise man, recognising the world is but an illusion, does not act as if it is real, so he escapes the suffering.

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

I own several versions of the Dhammapada, and not all my quotes are taken from this particular translation. Also check out the Easwaran version, which also contains stories and from the Life of the Buddha, and a chapter by chapter commentary. Hope this was useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have yet to read all of it but so far ..., 9 Dec 2014
Have yet to read all of it but so far very interesting to read the translations of such an ancient practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Thanks, 10 Oct 2014
Can't fault this service. Brilliant! Thanks.

Dhammapada: A New Translation of the Buddhist Classic with Annotations