5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic launch pad
This is an excellent introduction for anyone who's ever wanted to write fiction or poetry but was afraid to start. Its friendly tone, direct advice and focus on freewriting have an unnerving capacity to get you going and its short chapters also make it ideal for dipping into once you've finished. It's also exceedingly well-written; intriguing flashes of autobiography...
Published on 15 Nov 2006 by A reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money
I've written and published five novels and two works of non-fiction. I still enjoy reading what other people have to say about the art and the craft of writing, but this book really is the most self-indulgent, self-absorbed load of old tosh I've ever read on the subject. The author's attitude is a mixture of New Age flakiness and an unpleasantly dictatorial attitude...
Published on 2 Nov 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I stopped counting how many copies I'd purchased after ten, 30 July 1998
By A Customer
The only other book I buy and give as a gift more often is The Road Less Traveled. This is truly an amazing book. Insightful, entertaining, personal, challenging. If you've ever wanted to write, with Natalie's book in hand, you'll have no more excuses. Put the pen to paper and simply begin.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't own this book, here's why you should!, 3 Mar 1998
By A Customer
This book is such an increidible resource for writers that I own two copies- one that I always keep in my bookbag and one that stays at home. It is simply the best inspiration out there. Whenever I'm stuck, I pick a chapter at random, read it and let it guide me back to my notebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for creative writers, 9 Mar 1997
By A Customer
I highly recommend the book for writers both young and old.

1.0 out of 5 stars guaranteed to spread misconceptions, 28 Jan 1998
By A Customer
"Writing Down the Bones" is filled with a bunch of vague, generalized "writing exercises" which are of no help to serious craftsmen. The book is guaranteed to spread misconceptions as to the nature of Zen Buddhism. Worse, it is guaranteed to spread misconceptions as to the nature of writing and will lead the reader to believe that discipline and order have no place in writing. As Richard Wilbur said, "The strength of the genie comes from its being imprisoned in the bottle."

5.0 out of 5 stars Obvious "ten" for creative writing or even personal musings., 29 Oct 1997
By A Customer
Question for Ms Goldberg: I've gone through hundreds of ink cartridges to write pounds of scribbled text. Most of it is plain old junky practice writing which was the initial objective. But reading back through these rambling, Shaeffer-inked creations, I've found nuggets of inspiration. I mine my own gold to form short stories, essays and even the family Christmas letter. Your advice has allowed me to become a dedicated writer, but there is just one thing: When I spoke with Tobias Wolff at a recent book signing - his, not mine - he said that writing longhand definitely puts me into the minority. I know that using my computer would save a lot of time in transcribing, but it just doesn't seem to let the juices flow. The machinery interrupts my writing process, which ends up being a thinking and editing session. Natalie, why is this so? I guess I'll have to read it again to find out why, but that will be with pleasure. I remember gold on every page. It's simply the best book out there, teaching how writing can be as timeless and basic as meditation and prayer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for motivating a beginning writer!, 13 Jan 1996
By A Customer
I am so thankful to the person who recommended "Writing Down the Bones" to me. It is my writing bible!

1.0 out of 5 stars superficial, 14 July 2000
By A Customer
This book did nothing for me. Perhaps because I read it AFTER reading Dorothea Brande's "Becoming a writer" which is so much better! When I read Brande's book I knew I was going to become a writer; she's the on ewho made me blieve in the creative intelligence inside me that finally carred e through. Now my book is on the market (No, I won't tell you it's name!) and doeíng very well not only in England but in several other countries. I everything to Dorothwea Brande.

4.0 out of 5 stars satisfied customer, 24 July 2009
this book arrived in good condition and in good time.
would buy from this seller again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa52d4f60)

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer within (Pocket Classics)
Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer within (Pocket Classics) by Natalie Naimark-Goldberg (Paperback - 1 Mar 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01