5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic launch pad
This is an excellent introduction for anyone who's ever wanted to write fiction or poetry but was afraid to start. Its friendly tone, direct advice and focus on freewriting have an unnerving capacity to get you going and its short chapters also make it ideal for dipping into once you've finished. It's also exceedingly well-written; intriguing flashes of autobiography...
Published on 15 Nov 2006 by A reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money
I've written and published five novels and two works of non-fiction. I still enjoy reading what other people have to say about the art and the craft of writing, but this book really is the most self-indulgent, self-absorbed load of old tosh I've ever read on the subject. The author's attitude is a mixture of New Age flakiness and an unpleasantly dictatorial attitude...
Published on 2 Nov 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars the first time someone/thing taught me to be a real writer, 27 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I love this book, I have read it twice since I have bought it. I have always loved writing but never felt I was good enough until I read this book. She shows you how to write from your heart and soul, not everything has to be perfect when you write. No one ever told me about practicing my writing the way that Natalie explains it. her exercises for writing have helped me in more then just my writing it has helped me get to know my true self better!! I have already told several of my friends who are teacher to read this! And I will continue to recommend this book to anyone I know that enjoys to write, it is a book for not just for writers but for everyone.!

5.0 out of 5 stars wiz-DOM', 11 July 1997
Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down The Bones is

the best book I have read concerning creative

writing and freeing the preconceptions of

grammar, punctuation, and various other writing

constraints. Her voice rings through powerfully,

and she has a message that she delivers craftfully

through this book. This book is truly my one and

only reference for creative writing. If you don't

have this book already and you're a writer, or you

like to write, GET THIS BOOK IMMEDIATELY!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best "get up off your butt and write" books ever!, 25 April 1997
By A Customer
Writing Down The Bones is an essential book, not just for writers, but for any living, breathing person on the planet! Through simple and concise writing exercises Goldberg guides us to places within ourselves where our own unique creative voice flows freely. Writing Down The Bones is required reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 30 Aug 1996
By A Customer
Reading this book, I found different techniques to help my own students learn how to tap into themselves as sources for their writing. This book is an invaluable resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for writers of every kind, 19 Jun 1996
By A Customer
A deceivingly concise and revealing book. With simple advice
and exercises. If you want to devote your life to writing or
just want to give it a try this is the perfect road map.
Give this book, and yourself, a chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 14 Jun 2014
I LOVE this book!
Every page fizzes with enthusiasm for writing and passion for life, leaving you feeling that your soul has been nourished. Whether you are an aspiring writer, merely aspiring to aspire, or a long-time professional, there will be something within these pages to encourage you, help you raise your game and keep your writing spirit youthful.

This book is an utter pleasure to read and will stimulate you to new creative ways of spilling your writing onto the page.

Why not do what I did? Buy a copy for yourself and send one to your daughter! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars TIps for the budding writers, 24 July 2013
Any ordinary reader with ambitions of writing will fall in love with the tips here for grappling the task that may appear daunting at first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing Down The Bones, 6 Feb 2010
Writing Down The Bones Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer within

This book revolutionised my approach to writing!
Natalie Goldberg is a seasoned author and creative writing teacher based in New Mexico.

In short punchy chapters she encourages the writer with her unique Zen approach, to fully unleash the creative spirit within. Natalie offers unusual insights into the writing process and gives it the merit it deserves as a true art form. I highly recommend it for those who want their writing to stand out and to escape the formulaic concepts so prevalent in other writing books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for writers!, 4 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Read this book once and you'll recommend it to writers, new and accomplished. Natalie is amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring and well worth re-reading regularly, 10 Jan 1999
By A Customer
The author encourages us to notice the details in life and to celebrate everything which pleases us or makes an impression on us, as that is what makes writing lively and personal. Her book has also inspired me to carry on writing in my notebook even when I don't believe I'm a very good writer, as all writing practice is "composting" which could eventually result in some great ideas coming through. I am always dipping into this book and attempting to follow the author's suggestions. I have given copies to two other people who are keen amateur writers, and I usually take mine with me when I go away. All in all, I think this book offers hope to those who like writing but don't believe they're great writers or aren't even sure what they want to say. As the author says, if you care about what you're doing, it probably will be good. I have had a lot of fun as a result of reading this.

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer within (Pocket Classics)
Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer within (Pocket Classics) by Natalie Naimark-Goldberg (Paperback - 1 Mar 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01