5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic launch pad
This is an excellent introduction for anyone who's ever wanted to write fiction or poetry but was afraid to start. Its friendly tone, direct advice and focus on freewriting have an unnerving capacity to get you going and its short chapters also make it ideal for dipping into once you've finished. It's also exceedingly well-written; intriguing flashes of autobiography...
Published on 15 Nov 2006 by A reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money
I've written and published five novels and two works of non-fiction. I still enjoy reading what other people have to say about the art and the craft of writing, but this book really is the most self-indulgent, self-absorbed load of old tosh I've ever read on the subject. The author's attitude is a mixture of New Age flakiness and an unpleasantly dictatorial attitude...
Published on 2 Nov 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book you will ever need to get you writing., 10 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This book doesn't tell you how to become a writer, nor how to write. That's because it lets you know, if you are open to it, that you already are a writer. So all you have to do is write. It empowers - both your writing, and your life. I have had my copy for 6 years and refer to it again and again. It never gets old.

5.0 out of 5 stars I carry only two books with me this one and my journal., 22 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Wherever I go, I carry two books with me. My writing journal and Writing Down the Bones. Natalie Goldberg has something for everyone in this book, from the amateur to professional writer. My writing has improved dramatically since I picked up this book. Before, I was too mechanical about writing. I would sit down with a pen and write about a certain topic. But now, with Goldberg's help, I write whatever strikes me and I just let the pen flow across the pages of my journal. I wish I would have found this book ten years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for everyone, 22 July 1997
By A Customer
This book is excellent in the way that if you follow the instructions in the book, you can not only improve your writing, but also your life. Natalie Goldberg taught you how to establish a habit of trusting your inner self, your intuition, which let you have more confidence in your own thinking, and more acceptance to your own self. This in turn promote your self esteem. Through practising writing the way Natalie told, you may transform the habit of intergrating your real thought and actions to your daily life. It is wonderful that a writing guidance book can have such psychotherapy effect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Natalie My Guru, 2 May 2005
By A Customer
Warm, witty, fun, and above all, one of the best books on the market for new and not so new writers. Follow Natalie's advice and you won't go wrong - you will fly. A much loved book, one I revisit frequently. It's rather like being with a cherished friend and the writing exercises work. Buy it, you won't have any regrets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Become one with the page, 10 Mar 2001
Follow the advice that Ms Goldberg gives and let yourself become one with the page. There is no paper, no hand, no pen, no block. There is the void, the silence, and the act of creation and when you stop, there is your novel, complete and perfect before you on the page. Well, alright, perhaps not perfect but this marriage of Zen and common sense, beautifully written and blazingly clear, is a wonderful manual for any writer.Indeed for anyone that takes a moment to look at the world around them, anyone who does more than simply move unthinkingly through their life like a robot, this book is a rare delight. Once read thoroughly, it can be used randomly as an antidote to writer's block. Open almost any page and begin reading to feel the log jam in your cortex start to shift and jostle. Your fingers flex, your eye sparkles. The words tumble over themselves as ideas outpace your hand and your writing becomes a hellish scrawl. Buy a computer and take a speed typing course.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you own one writing book..., 2 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This is the one book that I would recommend to aspiring writers. After re-reading several times, I felt so much better about my own writing that I had nearly tripled my good output! This is a fantastic book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars the first time someone/thing taught me to be a real writer, 27 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I love this book, I have read it twice since I have bought it. I have always loved writing but never felt I was good enough until I read this book. She shows you how to write from your heart and soul, not everything has to be perfect when you write. No one ever told me about practicing my writing the way that Natalie explains it. her exercises for writing have helped me in more then just my writing it has helped me get to know my true self better!! I have already told several of my friends who are teacher to read this! And I will continue to recommend this book to anyone I know that enjoys to write, it is a book for not just for writers but for everyone.!

5.0 out of 5 stars wiz-DOM', 11 July 1997
Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down The Bones is

the best book I have read concerning creative

writing and freeing the preconceptions of

grammar, punctuation, and various other writing

constraints. Her voice rings through powerfully,

and she has a message that she delivers craftfully

through this book. This book is truly my one and

only reference for creative writing. If you don't

have this book already and you're a writer, or you

like to write, GET THIS BOOK IMMEDIATELY!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A true helping hand, 11 Aug 2014
I purchased this audio book for a close friend who has gone from being an active and successful business woman to a blind and severely disabled woman trying to find sense to her life. Within a few short week of listening to Natalie Goldberg's advice and personal experience of writing, my friend has started to produce a short story and become motivated about writing. That is good enough for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rain drops trickle down leaves in different ways., 9 Mar 1999
By A Customer
"Writing Down the Bones" taught me to stay awhile and look at life then write about it.
Natalie Golberg's book also showed me how to sit and write in a cafe observing life over a cappuccino, or two.
More importantly, Natalie conveys her excitement with life and writing in this book so that I can carry it around with me, re-reading it when the words stop flowing.

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer within (Pocket Classics)
Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer within (Pocket Classics) by Natalie Naimark-Goldberg (Paperback - 1 Mar 2006)
Usually dispatched within 7 to 10 days