5.0 out of 5 stars Application of energetics to your daiIy I-Ching hexagrams
Published on 7 Oct 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Not at all user-friendly!!
Published on 25 Mar 2003 by Mme F. Carlyle Price

5.0 out of 5 stars Application of energetics to your daiIy I-Ching hexagrams, 7 Oct 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Taoist "I Ching" (Paperback)
The Taoist I Ching, translated by Thomas Cleary, was written by Liu I-Ming in the eighteenth century. It is an application of Taoist energetics to the 64 hexagrams and 384 lines of the I Ching. When used as a tool for self-cultivation, this work can aid the practitioner in an immediate understanding of the requirements that given energy formations place on one's daily life.
If you are a serious student of the I Ching, seeking insight into the subtle operation of yin and yang, this text can aid in your search for understanding by illuminating a pathway through a given situation to balance and harmony. It is less of a divination oracle than many I Ching texts, but is one of the most applicable to engaged daily cultivation.
The Taoist I Ching may seem a little wierd to use at first (it's definately different!) but has proven to be wholly rewarding in my life. Use it in conjunction with another translation - look for the commonality between the two - and gain the understanding that Master Liu encrypted within the pages.
Ancestor Lu, the immortal Lu T'ung Pin, wrote of the I Ching in the ninth century " The shallow may take the I Ching to be a book of divination, but the profound consider it the secret of the celestial mechanism." Liu I-Ming's "Taoist I Ching" is most certainly a rendering of Ancestor Lu's vision. Thomas Cleary's gifted translation of this work must certainly echo his virtue all the way to the Subtle Origin.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine tool for the art of inner alchemy., 29 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Taoist "I Ching" (Paperback)
This poetic, enigmatic rendering has the capacity to illuminate the difference between the human mind and the mind of Tao for the reader in situations of daily life, and offers profound Taoist methods for self awareness. I have used this book for five years and feel more than any other, this book has altered my life. For any who wish to use the Book of Changes as a guide for living with the aid of the wisdom of the Tao, I reccomend this translation of the I Ching.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not at all user-friendly!!, 25 Mar 2003
This review is from: The Taoist "I Ching" (Paperback)
There is a marvellous quotation that states " a book is no less scholarly for being readable, nor more informative for being dull." This book provides an excellent example of the above! Doubtless it is an extraordinarily researched and historically accurate translation of this complex and detailed science, but it is hard going, "heavy" and it needs the tenacity and determination of a truly dedicated disciple to even begin to scratch the surface. If you really need an excellent reference book in which to delve for research then perhaps this may well be suitable. If however, you would prefer a no-nonsense, readable, thought-provoking tome, which will not leave you more confused than when you started it - this book is not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A spiritual handbook, 18 Oct 2010
C. P. Willmot (DURHAM , England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Taoist "I Ching" (Shambhala Classics) (Paperback)
When I first started looking at the I Ching I bought this but didn't take to it. I was too new to it and not in a position to understand its true value. Pearls before swine, perhaps.

If you want to use the I Ching for help with normal day-to-day concerns it is hard to better the enlightened guidance of I Ching: Walking Your Path, Creating Your Future, or I Ching: The Classic Chinese Oracle of Change if you fancy something closer to the raw Chinese.

However, after living with the I Ching for a year or two I began to appreciate its structure and purpose. (It is not primarily a book of divination.) My guess is it was a handbook for training the young nobles of ancient China in the art of wise government. The same principles apply to anyone who understands that the intangibles of life are where its value lies, and wish to live wisely.

Lui-I-Ming is an excellent teacher. Woven though his commentary are instruction in Taoist principles such as the blending of yin and yang. He offers practical guidance how to nurture true yang and transmute the artificial (human-manufactured) thought life we develop as children into the genuine (Tao/Spirit gifted) open mindfulness that reflects the calm, clear Way of heaven and the stable, peaceful Way of earth.

In fifty years of reading I have found three books that have genuine, priceless value. This is one. Try using the oracle to select "daily notes" from Thomas Cleary's translation. If it speaks to you, you'll at least be intrigued. As a famous Jew once remarked, "Whoever has ears let them hear".

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so accessible, but potentially very useful and wonderful, 27 Nov 2012
Ram Lee (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Taoist "I Ching" (Shambhala Classics) (Paperback)
This is an intriguing book. It offers commentaries on the I Ching from the perspective of the Taoist inner teachings (inner alchemy: `Neidan') as practiced in the School of Complete Reality (`Quanzhen' School). The commentaries were written by Liu I-ming in 1796.

When you are familiar with Taoism yet new to the Taoist tradition of inner alchemy it is better to start with a book like`Vitality, energy, spirit', also translated by Thomas Cleary.
When you have become familiar with several writings from the tradition of inner alchemy, this book is a very useful addition. It further develops your understanding, and supposedly also your practice.

Having read it three times in a period of about three years, each time it offers fresh insights and inspiration.
When the meaning of the basic hexagrams, Heaven and Earth (yang and yin), dawns on you and unfolds, realizing they refer to realities that are ultimately sane and helpful, and how their mutual natural-uncontrived interaction is a hard-to-find entrance into an endless practice, which neither ignores difficulties nor unsuspected possibilities, this is graceful and welcome, of course!
Basically, it (like all Taoist practice) is about reversing the direction that human beings generally take in their conscious lives. It maintains that conditioned living is not desirable, not natural, not necessary, and that a more unconditioned way of living is desirable, natural and possible. As it says in a quote: "Using life to the full means to get to the end of conditioned life; achieving one's aim means to achieve the primordial life."
The teaching inherent in this book can be a proper antidote to habitual self-centeredness and can help to access a trans-personal reservoir of untamed energy which brings new unimagined meaning to words like life, aliveness, naturalness and sanity.
It is also considerate about `what when celestial energies have started to be available for the individual?' Because, here it is easy to step into inconspicuous pitfalls, and lose again what has been experienced.

All in all, this is a very intelligent, psychological-subtle presentation of a philosophy and a practice, that have the aim and potential to bring back humans to simple natural living.

The Taoist "I Ching" (Shambhala Classics)
The Taoist "I Ching" (Shambhala Classics) by Liu I-ming (Paperback - 3 May 2005)