5.0 out of 5 stars A feisty little number
Understanding Sun Tzu on the Art of War explores the meaning of Sun Tzu's philosophies through the use of high impact case examples, in strategic cases through psychological experimentations, and the world at large through politics and conflict bouncing on War itself. Apparently the Art of war is one of the greatest and oldest military strategy books.

The book...
Published on 12 Sept. 2009 by Ms. Ana Pf Goncalves

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on 9 Mar. 2011 by Low brow

5.0 out of 5 stars A feisty little number, 12 Sept. 2009
Ms. Ana Pf Goncalves (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of War (Mass Market Paperback)

The book relates to everything as a whole, so you can find ease to relate to your own life situations as it seeks to establish the conflict already present within us. The main purpose of the book is to enable us to understand our own conflicts, and reduce it's impacts on ourselfs, and each other through 13 chapters(Strategic Assessments, Doing Battle, Planning a Siege, Formation, Force, Emptiness and Fullness, Armed Struggle, Adaptations, Maneuvering Armies, Terrain, Nine Grounds, Fire Attack and On the use of spies) which gives one strength when dealing with such forces.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 9 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Art of War (Mass Market Paperback)
I am disappointed as I bought this for a present I thought it was the complete texts and discover that it is the penny pulp version. I think Amazon need to ensure that all books that are similar are kept together. The cover is identical to the full texts version. Which is unacceptable, books should be logged together by author and with physical details size and page numbers to facilitate choice.

The quality of the book received is quite poor although the content remains a timeless masterpiece of mankinds weaknesses and strengths.

Do not buy this book if you prefer the full text vext version by Cleary
The Art of War

3.0 out of 5 stars The oriental wisdom is this book's worth but its presentation could be improved., 6 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Art of War (Mass Market Paperback)
This is not the easiest book to read. It was on my third attempt before I could complete it. It is not like a novel or factual book which the logic and reasoning flows and develop. Rather this is a book which collects or collates general abstract principles without anchoring context. From one principle to the next is disjointed. It is rather difficult to retain what you have read and then move on. Therefore you could travel along the book for a while, and then unable to recall what you have read. feeling then that you are totally lost.

On the third time I persevered. I made notes, I copied out the lines to help me remember. I guess this also slowed down my reading pace and gave me time to digest what I had read. In this way, I retained more before I moved on to the next. I pushed on even through I did not remember and tried to see what happened. The truth was that I would think about what I had read and if I found my memory a little hazy, I returned to the book and flipped back to where my thoughts travelled.

The introduction by the translator is actually quite lengthy (65 pages). It is not very well written because it does not engage the reader and the structure is not clear. It requires secondary processing to grasp what it is trying to say, or to distill the points that are beneficial or applicable to me. The body main is also not very helpful in its setup. The book is divided into themes. The layout is first to state Master Sun's principles, followed by the interpretations of some famous general and warriors in Chinese history. Therefore all the paragraphs are disjointed and not really related to each other. Once you get used to the format, however, it could be interesting. The commentaries are insightful at places, as wise as the Master Sun's original advice.

You may ask, if it is worth such an effort to read the book. Having finished the book, I think it does provide a different angle to view things. Perhaps it is because the philosophy is so different from the Western philosophy that we feel disoriented in the book at first. But the whole point of reading the book is to be challenged by another philosophy to enrich or broaden our own thinking. To this extent I think it is worth the effort. After reading the book, I find myself going back and flip through it to refresh myself what it has said.

Its view on conflicts and in turn the way to handle them is very different from, for example, what Ender's Game advocates. While I was uneasy of the latter, I find more peace in the philosophy embodied in this little booklet. It does challenge us with different possibilities and in turn offers us a choice of what action to take. How relevant it is in leadership and management I don't know. Its relevance to today's warfare is not direct either simply because modern warfare is carried out on many more media and battlegrounds are not restricted by the physical terrains. Yet the general principles still apply, and it is a framework of situation assessment.

Is there another way of presenting the Art of War which is more coherent and in turn easier to read? I bet there must be. Therefore compare different versions before you settle on one.

3.0 out of 5 stars good book but not special, 18 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Art of War (Mass Market Paperback)
contains great strategic advice, but is very repetitive even seeing some of the same advice but simply reworded in completely different chapters.

the introduction is also very long, the book is around 170 pages, and the introduction is around 60 of which it is also very repetitive.

Feels to dragged on for me but has some great strategic points and principles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 19 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Art of War (Mass Market Paperback)
Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" is a great book.
This ancient classic was written over 2,500 years ago by the legendary Chinese general Sun Tzu, being a
a timeless masterpiece of interaction of power and politics this book teaches many good lessons to anyone who will ever have to command a group of people, in the workplace, in school, or on the battlefield.
The Art of War is an ageless book that teaches human nature and how to deal with difficult situations in life and business.
The lessons learned in this book can be allied to relationship, friendship, career and make you a more complete person in general. I I recommend this book to be read by all those who wants to succeed in anything they do, It is not just about lessons in war but can be used and applied for everyday life.
"The Art of War" is a must read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reduced to 1 cd with poor narration., 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Art of War (Audio CD)
The art of war is a master piece. It has been reduced to fit on one cd. The narration seems to be produced for children to understand. Disappointing ! Only got 3 stars because it was a cd and worked. And was delivered on time!,,,

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says in the description, 14 July 2010
This review is from: The Art of War (Audio CD)
It's pretty much as the description in the product overview which is precisely what I wanted; a decent translation with a bit of interpretation. Although the reader's voice is a bit dry.

The Art of War
The Art of War by Sun Tzu (Mass Market Paperback - 7 Feb. 2005)