5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding... really modivated me to sit., 31 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I loved that the book is really written from a Western perspective. Allows the reluctant mediator (like me) to approach the topic from many different angles. This book helped moditvate me to meditate more regularly. Explains the paradox of meditation (i.e. the goal is to give up the goal) better than any book I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent... highly motivating... very promising, 7 April 1999
By A Customer
I am one of those people who wish it was easier to sit for an hour a day. I am one of those who is struggling to motivate myself to pursue what I have come to believe is an essential part of my life. This book is one that constantly makes my efforts and my struggles easier and keeps me motivated. I just wish I could do justice to this author's efforts in sharing what he has had the good furtune to have gained. I have given my copy of this book away on a few occasions just to replace it with yet another copy soon after. If you are a meditation enthusiast, make sure this book is on your bookshelf, if not right next to you, always.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 19 Mar 1998
By A Customer
Larry is an extremely experienced and mature mediation teacher. He understands meditation to be a whole life activity, a way to understand being a human -- the way to make sense out of our lives. This book is the result of many years of teaching students how to develop a Buddhist practice which is almost non-sectarian in it's simplicity. Finally his teachings are in book form, long overdue. Now more students can benifit from his wisdom.

5.0 out of 5 stars An indepth look into the Anapanasati sutra, 25 April 1998
By A Customer
A must read for anyone who wants to take their meditation practice further. Larry explains indepth how to use the breath to be in the moment. Humor and real life stories help convey this wonderful technique. Whether a bigger, like me, or a meditator of many years, you will benefit by reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one's a keeper, 2 July 1998
By A Customer
This book is wonderful. Rosenberg's approach to meditation and Buddhism comes without the baggage of superstition and folklore that attach themselves to some books on these topics. Rosenberg offers not only basic instruction, but a path for advancing one's practice through the various contemplative steps beyond that, using the anapanasati sutra. I also love the fact that his background is from the East Coast of the U.S., and Jewish. I get a little tired of the condescending attitude toward Westerners from some of the more traditional Eastern authors and teachers. Rosenberg doesn't have a built-in cultural bias toward the East, and is clearly an experienced, dedicated and wise teacher with a sense of humor. I'm usually too cheap to buy the hard-back version of any book (sorry, Amazon), but this one's hard-back, and I'm glad for it because it's a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deepening practice, 18 Aug 2008
Rex (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This book has become a close friend as it takes me deeper and deeper into understanding who and what we are. A must have for any meditator as it guides you on an amazing journey. I baulked at the later stages of the journey, but now after some time and reflection I am able to continue again. Larry Rosenberg is a wonderful, humourous and compassionate writer who can inspire you on your own journey. Read and enjoy, practice the sutra and you may find much more than you imagine.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation (Shambhala Classics) (Paperback)
I have read quite a few buddhism books now, but this is the one where I felt I related to the writer the most and was the book that had the biggest impression on me since I read the Power of Now a few years ago. Larry's writing style really struck a cord with me, I found it approachable, engaging and quite funny at times. Having done a Goenka course it was really good to read something that didn't feel cultish in any way and where the mediation technique principally was just about being with the breathing, letting go and seeing things come and go.

After reading this book, I read a few of the books recommended on Larry's Cambridge Insight Mediation website. For me particularly good ones were "what the buddha taught" and "a still forest pool".

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath by Breath Inspired title ,inspired writing, 16 Feb 2013
I found this book excellent, having attended a vippasana 10 day retreat I was looking to continue learning ,this book is easy to read and deep in knowledge, having read it once I will soon be picking it up again ,it is a book I will refer to often, the best of the three I bought on insight meditation .

9.95