on 12 January 2010
This is a really great book on kendo. Although it introduces all the basic moves (strikes, foootwork etc.) it is much more than that. The authors special connection to his Japanese sensei - and his status as hatamoto in the senseis clan/family - gives him a unique insight into the history, philosophy and traditions surrounding the art of the sword. I am no expert in the art of Kendo, but I am sure this book will ispire both the novice and the advanced practitioner.
on 25 November 2012
I have only been training Kendo for 8-9 months. The book gave me very good insight about Kendo, how it came to be in the form it is today, the essence of Kata and why Kata is not just a set of choreography.

The book also gives some example of real match situations, how one can spot an opening etc.

However, I strongly recommend that the book be read along side training under a teacher. The pictures only made sense to me since I have been practicing at a dojo and my teacher has been explaining these things as well.
on 2 September 2015
I am no expert on Kendo, I have been to two classes in my life and didn’t get immediately hooked. I know basic amounts about it and having been in the martial arts for over 25 years, I thought maybe I should red up a little bit about it.

After reading this book I’m thinking maybe I should go back down to the local class and have a look at taking it up again. The book presents not just basic techniques like many books out there but an inspiring insight into the history and the philosophy regarding Kendo. Definitely a good ne for all people doing Japanese martial arts as the teachings in this book will cross over into whatever you’re doing.
on 27 February 2014
I particularly like the dialogues with the Japanese sensei. I also find the diagrams and explanations very useful. An excellent book for starters.
on 28 May 2010
This is a good comprehensive guide to the art of kendo well put together and easy to digest
on 18 January 2015