5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 13 May 2014
Moravia is such an overlooked author, maybe it was all the paperbacks from the seventies with their saucy looking covers that put English readers off!?

In this book the narrator has obsessive, paranoid thoughts that his wife hates him and is unfaithful to him. In a way this book feels like a play in a book form as there are only a handful of characters and it has a claustrophobic feel. Even though the narrator is obsessive because the style of writing is quite matter of fact you don't notice as a reader that you are being taken on a dark journey. This is a complete contrast to the sunny Med settings. By the end of the book, I felt like I had read a horror story. Not surprising to find that this book is also published elsewhere as 'a ghost at noon'. (Some of Moravia's books ended up having several different titles).

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsessively Depressed, 21 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Contempt (NYRB) (Paperback)
I've often found in my life that I accidentally find just the book I need to read when I need to read it. I've often purchased books because I felt inexplicably drawn to them in the moment. The picture on this book nagged at something in the back of my mind. At a time of depression in my personal life, I feel better having read Moravia's Contempt, proving that "misery does love company." I found characters more obsessed with their depression than am I. And I became more obsessed with them, than with my own depression, at least for a little while. If you play songs that make you cry when are already feeling terrible, you'll love this book.

Contempt (New York Review Books Classics)
Contempt (New York Review Books Classics) by Alberto Moravia (Paperback - 9 Jan 1999)
8.99