5.0 out of 5 stars I Just Love Books on Ancient Rome, 6 Jun. 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I guess I am a bit of a sucker for novels on Ancient Rome so I was delighted when I found what was for me a new author who writes on that particular subject. This is the first book in the Gladiators of the Empire series. It is not the best book I have ever read, but then I did not expect it to be.

The book is a fictional look at life through the eyes of a gladiator. The awe of being in such a magnificent building as the Flavian amphitheatre, or as it is better know the Colosseum. The fear and excitement of fighting another human being with real weapons after the weeks and weeks of training that have gone on in gladiatorial school.

The book held my interest from beginning to end and what more can one ask for. I know that the author has written another book that I am looking forward to reading and I hope that he comes up with many more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting...., 14 Oct. 2008
H. T. Davies - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sand of the Arena (Gladiators of the Empire Novel) (Paperback)
Quite well written and certainly readable and entertaining, if a bit far-fetched. The idea of a kung-fu type character wondering the streets of Gloucester in AD 63 is hard to swallow but just about plausible given the theories of what happened to Crassus' hapless army.

The basic plot is classic for just about every gladiator novel I've ever read (except for the Shakespearian twist at the beginning)- slave fights to top while finding inner strengths. If you don't know anything about Rome and gladiators there are worse places to start and if you do you can skip some of the sections explaining gladiatorial styles etc.

A bit OTT but great mindless reading for a summer's afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars WRITING STYLE GROWS UP AS DOES THE GLADIATOR, 12 Sept. 2011
a rollicking good read this book
my main reading matirial of late has been ancient roman novels, but his one tends to stand out from the crowd for maybe the wrong reasons , but the book is most enjoyable
If you can Imagine mathew reilly rewriting simon scarrow then your half way there to the style this has been written in

I must admit at first I thought the writing was rather Harry Potter and the Ludus was some kind of Hogwarts , but as the main charactor grows up so does the writing style, indeed as the fight action hots up so does the adult content
I admit we have the appearence of the kung fu master in the city of bath seems a bit unreal , but who knows !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, 2 April 2010
Not had a chance to read this book yet but it arrived on time and in excellent condition.

Sand of the Arena (Gladiators of the Empire Novel)
Sand of the Arena (Gladiators of the Empire Novel) by James Duffy (Paperback - 25 Oct. 2006)