5.0 out of 5 stars The best game I've ever played!
Published 8 months ago by King Chimps

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointed
Published 2 months ago by Andreas Moeller

5.0 out of 5 stars The best game I've ever played!, 6 April 2014
This review is from: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Core Set (Toy)
Let me start by saying that I am a monster GOT fan and a strategy board game geek to boot so this game was the perfect gift for me. This is a living card game, which means there are new cards that get published which add to the variety of gameplay with new characters and rules, keeping it fresh for years to come, but everything you need to start with comes in this box and indeed you must have this box to play any of the other expansions sets.

This core box includes four of the six main Houses (Baratheon, Lannister, Stark and Targaryen) and the board itself which is only used for three or more players and just adds another dimension to what is effectively a card game. It's no exaggeration to say that the design and concept of this game is genius. The aim is to collect 15 power token via 3 principal means of engagement - Military attack, intrigue or power attacks. As in the books, there are many paths to victory and this is reflected by the three means of obtaining tokens. This game is exceptionally amazing because unlike many board/card games its also just as much fun two player.

The characters have traits and strengths that reflect their characters in the book, for instance Little Finger is devious and earns you gold, whereas the Stark armies are pure military might and Arya is elusive! Finding the balance is the key to victory. There are also various event, location and item cards that are great fun, turning a seemingly total victory to a crushing defeat in the flip of a card! I've heard gasps of horror when the ambush card is played! The blend of tactics and luck is perfect in this core box set.

This game can be enjoyed on many levels that develop as you appreciate the complexities of the game. Straight out the box, you can pick one of the four House decks and get stuck in. The different strengths of the Houses soon become apparent and it's a blast to play. Any fan of GOT will not fail to love the beautiful artwork and lore of these cards, you can tell they are made with love. There are also neutral cards, such as the Night's Watch, who any House can play, so even if you choose the Starks the bulk of your deck may be comprised of neutral cards if you so choose, adding an element of surprise.

The only cards you need to separate are the plot cards which should (unless House specific) be set aside so players can choose the plots in turn before they start. The plot cards dictate unique terms of play for each round as well as determining the amount of gold you get each round and who goes first (important!). The plot cards you choose and the order you play them is up to you and are fundamental in any victorious strategy. After players simultaneously flip their plot cards the action begins in turn. You can only make one type of attack each round, and once a character has been engaged (knelt) he/she cannot be used again that phase - even to defend! So if you use Ned Stark to attack your mum and lop Joffrey's head off, you can't use Ned as a defender should your sister send dragons your way on her turn! There are token penalties should you not be able to offer any resistance but this game is not about simply killing character cards who are more or less powerful than you. Tactics are central. Taking risks at the right time, second guessing your foes, holding back key event cards for when you'll need them the most. You can have up to three of any one card in your deck, which must be a minimum of 60 cards, increasing the chances of bringing it into your hand when you need it, but duplicate cards only serve as 'body guards' and not clones of the same characters in play - so the blend of your deck is vital.

In truth it will take many months to fully master the rules of this game, but that's half the fun! Learning the nuances of this game together is great fun in itself, and once you've mastered them you'll realise the true potential of this game as it becomes a true test of skill when you customise your own decks and play on the strengths of your House and the weakness of your foes. This game gets uber geeky for those that want it to but for casual players it's also great fun. Diplomacy, betrayal, shock, laughter, tactics with a splash of randomness! So go ahead, invest in your pleasure now! This game can also be played with up to six players if you buy two more expansion packs for Greyjoy and Martell which add a totally new angle!

There is also a good video online on how to play this game!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Core Set (Toy)
The game is really good to play but you need to buy the Greyjoy and Martell expansions if you want the complete experience with all the houses

5.0 out of 5 stars A Card Game of Thrones, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Core Set (Toy)
I gave this Item a 5* review due to the engaging gameplay experience and the brilliant card designs.

I found the gameplay and general premise of this game rather easy to pick up, which is contrary to some opinions that the game is over convoluted, I found that after investing a short time reading the instructions we were ready to play and we hit the ground running, there may of been a few brief pauses whilst we consulted the rules, but it did not detract from this enthralling game - infact I for one find the intricacies the thing that make this game so appealing.

I would recommend this game to people who enjoy games of strategy but who also enjoy sudden turns of fortune to keep them guessing. This game is also a must for people who like me crave more from the world of A Song of Ice and Fire by GRRM, with its extracts from the books and all of the characters we know and love on top knotch quality (illustrated) card deseigns.

We will be playing this time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Core Set (Toy)
If you enjoyed the Pokemon card game as a kid, you'll love this - it's the adult equivalent and awesome to play. The rulebook is quite big though and even now my friends and I have to consult forums, or Google the cards to find out what they mean. I think they are made that way so you can argue, discuss and come to your own conclusions sometimes. My favourite deck is Lannister, because of all the money, but I've still yet to win my first game because my friends betray me as they enjoy seeing me enraged and get mad.

If you like Game of Thrones and you like playing games you probably already have this. Just a warning also, some of the booster packs contain awesome cards so if you're playing anyone with a custom deck, you won't stand a chance.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointed, 18 Oct 2014
This review is from: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Core Set (Toy)
I am a huge Game of Thrones fan and therefore I wanted to buy this game. I read several reviews on Amazon which promised an amazing game. The reviews on Boardgamegeek which I usually trust went in a different direction but hey, it is still Game of Thrones. What possibly can go wrong? Well... First of the game comes in a huge promising box but after opening it this game could have fit into a very small box instead. A bunch of cards (nice drawings!), an unnecessary cardboard sheet (no point in having it really. All the informations are on the cards and I can set to piles of tokens by myself), some cardboard tokens and instructions. Well... Who cares about first impressions, right? I got a couple of friends together on a games night and off we went. We all read the rules in the days before so we could dive in straight away. There are a lot of things to consider and whoever reviewed this to be a straightforward game to start playing immediately is either a genius, doesnt play the rules right or has got no idea what he is talking about. It is indeed a complex game and very often we had to default back to the rule "the guy with the initiative is always right" to just skip endless discussions. We played for about 4 hours and switched to "Citadels" instead. The same concept but a lot more fun. This game isnt cheap so we gave it another fresh start a week later and it was a huge drag to play. I guess we are playing it more like total cutthroats and therefore no power is coming into the game. We were having about 11 powers between all four players after another three hours. No chance of anybody winning at all. I went to our local games cafe and had a go with several players there. Same outcome. If you apply all the rules and really play against each other you cant really finish the game in a decent amount of time. This game will pick up dust nicely in my gaming box and most likely will never be touched again. There is nothing new about the game idea and the biggest selling point is indeed on the label.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid game, perfect for GOT/SOIAF fans, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Core Set (Toy)
I got this Living Card Game as a Christmas and "it was love at first sight".

The Core set box includes 4 decks for each of the most important houses in Westeros (the place where most of Song of Ice and Fire stories take place): Baratheon, Lannister, Stark and Targaryen.

Each of these houses should use its strenghts in order to succeed the different challenges (military, intrigue and power/political). As you need to change the strategy depending on the decks, rivals and games the fun could last for ages.

Additionally, the art in most of the cards is really gorgeous so it's a perfect way to improve the experience of reading the books and/or watching the Game of Thrones TV series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice complicated game, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Core Set (Toy)
The game is very fun, it takes a little beat to become confident with the rules, but it is very enjoyable.
Maybe it would be better with few less rules and/or a few less exceptions: there are so many things to remember that takes a couple of matches to get into it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too complicated, 28 Nov 2014
This review is from: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Core Set (Toy)
Far too complicated for the average gamer. It's been sitting on my shelf as every attempt to play it has failed miserably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Core Set (Toy)
great game make sure you know someone who would be willing to play though and there are lots of fiddly parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, and being Game of Thrones, even better!, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Core Set (Toy)
Bought for my Fiance and she absolutely loves it. We have played countless times though we are now looking to expand this set with more card decks as it can get a bit limited with this core set.

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game Core Set