5.0 out of 5 stars The finest book on Greece

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Very good
Published 3 months ago by Susannah Hutchinson

5.0 out of 5 stars The finest book on Greece, 16 Jan 2012
This review is from: Flight of Ikaros: Travels in Greece During the Civil War (Paperback)
I have read the Flight of Ikaros three times. After the second I felt I had to learn more about the author. My search led to American Ikaros, the biography of Kevin Andrews. The Flight of Ikaros is Kevin's best book, one of the best travel books written and certainly the best book about Greece. Revealing little of himself, Kevin takes us through the spectacular landscape of war torn Greece, introduces us to a series of vivid characters and explores the Greek continuum in which he delighted. A wonderful book, we should be grateful for this new edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars absorbing book about Greece in the aftermath of war, 23 Nov 2012
MRLM (London England) - See all my reviews
Got this book on a recommendation as we visited the Mani this summer. The first couple of chapters are somewhat self-conscious in style but Kevin Andrews' depth of knowledge of Greece and passion take over. Excellent portraits of people and of Greece dealing with the social fissures of this period and some unforgettable stories - while the author stands back. Patrick Leigh Fermor's book on the Mani is better known but this one has far more profundity and humility.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 28 Aug 2014
Very good

Flight of Ikaros: Travels in Greece During the Civil War
Flight of Ikaros: Travels in Greece During the Civil War by Kevin Andrews (Paperback - 1 Oct 2010)