5.0 out of 5 stars a necessary and eye opening read
Published on 5 Jan 2008 by Mrs. Z. C. Dawe

2.0 out of 5 stars ok
Interesting in some areas, but poor ending. Milton Greene could have finished it off with at least a bit of history after Korea!!
Published 8 months ago by Miss E Richmond

5.0 out of 5 stars a necessary and eye opening read, 5 Jan 2008
Mrs. Z. C. Dawe "vou.org.uk" (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Story (Hardcover)
There is nothing quite like having someone tell you their story. I was suprised by how 'good' this book is - if it can be rated in such a way. It reads as though Marilyn is talking to you. Thus, not perfectly presented, but this is the charm. She talks of topics which she obviously felt were of importance to her; and puts the record straight at times, as it were. It was a joy to read as well as emotional; to understand Marilyn as the person behind the image and her struggles. The photographs add an incredible visual aid also.

4.0 out of 5 stars At last an edition that is superbly presented, 13 July 2007
F. A. Penney "Fraser Penney" (Edinburgh, Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Story (Hardcover)
Written at the height of her fame for a series of magazine articles in the
mid-50's with the help of Ben Hecht, this is a new version of the book
originally published over a decade after her death in 1974. It's Marilyn's
autobiography & poignantly recounts her childhood as an unwanted orphan, her
early adolescence, her rise in the film industry from bit player to
celebrity, and her marriage to Joe DiMaggio.
This edition has a new forward by Joshua Greene & it's beautifully
illustrated with his fathers photographs.
When I saw it I couldn't help but think that had this been published in the
1950's then it's just how Marilyn & Milton would have wished it to be like.
It's obvious Joshua has put a great deal of thought into the way the book
has been designed & compared to the original book, which had no pictures
inside at all this one is quite the opposite with pictures on every other
page. It's beautiful & reading it you can almost hear Marilyn's voice in
your head telling the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The true facts from Marilyn herself, 25 Mar 2008
Sarah Chaffer "S.M.Chaffer" (Leeds, W.Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Story (Hardcover)
I have read plenty of books about Marilyn, telling us all of her problems, with very little to back it up. With this book, you know your getting the truth, its straight from Marilyn herself. She wasn't just the 'dumb blonde' that 20th Century Fox wanted to show her as. She was an intelligent and sensitive person, and this book shows her in the best light. It makes her seem more human and less of a goddess, a more accessible and understandable character. By far the best book on Marilyn, because its BY Marilyn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 May 2007
Mrs. J. Heath (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Story (Hardcover)
A book written by a special lady and a beautiful person which comes though in the book written in her own words.

This book will carry you through Marilyn's childhood in poverty to her rise in fame and is illustrated with rare and lovely photos. I would recommend this book to anyone especially if you want to learn more about Marylin Monroe as a person which I feel shines through. I shall treasure my copy and certainly read it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and bittersweet - just like her life., 14 April 2011
This review is from: My Story (Hardcover)
I'd read this some time ago, along with other books on Marilyn, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Unlike biographies, the subject she dictated the direction of its contents by speaking about what she felt was important at the time. I'm not sure where N Brant got the idea that this isn't Marilyn's work, and certainly those who have read some of her magazine interviews or have watched the programme aired recently which used the recordings made by her psychiatrist will no doubt pick up on some of her mannerisms. She's all sweet and coy (Norma Jean) and then lets loose that full-on sex symbol persona (Marilyn) and dazzles everyone.

Probably one of the few screen sirens who was loved by women as well as men, and whose presence could light up the screen simply by lifting her head and smiling...this work gives an all too brief insight into one of the most unforgettable screen actresses of the 20th Century.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Story, 31 Jan 2009
This review is from: My Story (Hardcover)
I purchased this book for my 20 year old daughter, who just couldn't put it down, Infact, she didn't want it to end. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marilyn, in her own words..., 8 April 2008
Kate Willard "Realtor" (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Story (Hardcover)
Lately I have been on a Marilyn Monroe reading Jag (I do recommend "Misfits Country" about the making of the classic movie "The Misfits") that was brought on by watching most of her films. This book offers unique insights as it is Marilyn in her own words. She covers everything from her early childhood, to her rise to stardom, and her rocky marriage to Joltin Joe DiMaggio. There are nuggets here that explain much about how she went from Norma Jean to Marilyn Monroe, and some interesting foresight as to her demise. The books only weakness is that it is way to short, there is so much more I wanted to hear Marilyn talk about....

5.0 out of 5 stars A very sad read..even 50 years after her death., 19 Nov 2010
This review is from: My Story (Hardcover)
This is heartfelt, emotional and seemingly honest account from Marilyn about her memories from early childhood and thoughts on life as she was living it at the time. She comes across as intelligent, witty and self-deprecating and when reading it I felt almost as if I was invading her privacy. The photos are breathtaking, as you would expect, and the writer references them cleverly in the introduction, giving them a context which is sometimes surprising.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous book By Marilyn Monroe., 25 Jan 2009
G. Griffiths "G.G." (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Story (Hardcover)
This book is written by Marilyn herself. This autobiography starts from the life of when she was a little girl going up to when she was in a relationship with Joe Di Maggio. I have to say this book is an absolute gem to read and like many people have said, I wish continued for longer. Marilyn expreses her feelings and her wishes that makes me feel for her. This book now contains photos of Marilyn Monroe as the first edition didn't.
A must have for anyone out there who adore Marilyn Monroe.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 5 star life story..., 25 Feb 2009
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Story (Hardcover)
I have read many books on the life and loves of Marilyn Monroe, but this was by far the most moving. In terms of factual life story bits and pieces, it's very short (as most things unfinished tend to be...)and I would recommend a biography such as Wolfe's or Spotto's, both of which give an excellent insight and are driven from slightly different angles.
However, if you want to hear the words of the woman herself, this is the book for you. With just 185 pages, there is not nearly enough of her but what is here is tender, poignant and funny. Peppered with wonderful photo's throughout (a lot of which Id never seen), you'll pick it up and not put it down until you've finished. The ending is abrupt and the postscript is sad - a bit like her life.
Highly recommended.

My Story
My Story by Marilyn Monroe (Hardcover - 28 Oct 2006)