5.0 out of 5 stars Amigurumi Knits
Published on 26 Jun 2011 by S. Dodson

3.0 out of 5 stars Really cute knits - shame about the pattern errors.
There are some fantastic patterns in this book ranging from the simple to the more complex. I've already made the snail and bits of hermit crab and sea star (adapting them for various uses including Christmas decorations!).
Published on 19 Dec 2010 by Narapoia

3.0 out of 5 stars Really cute knits - shame about the pattern errors., 19 Dec 2010
This review is from: Amigurumi Knits: Patterns for 20 Cute Mini Knits (Paperback)
The instructions are reasonably clear for the most part, but could do with clearer pictures and more photos of the more complicated directions. This is essentially engineering in wool, and it can be tricky to get your head round exactly what is intended. Pictures of the completed items from other angles would have been useful, for example so that you can clearly see whether the base of the snail is in stocking stitch or reverse stocking stitch so you can work out where the instructions are taking you.
The errors are irritating, however. The last 2 rows of the base of the snail are missing, for example, and this is NOT covered in the errata on the publisher's website. Indeed one of the corrections published is in itself incorrect! Perhaps people writing scathing criticisms of other peoples reviews should check their facts first.
I've tried to contact the author via Ravelry but no response to date and her Etsy shop no longer seems to be in operation.

3.0 out of 5 stars promising but many mistakes, 13 Dec 2010
J. Walker - See all my reviews
Half good half bad here -

Many of the patterns here are worthwhile and really inventive, the design and ingenuity is very impressive and if you get to the end, the results are enchanting. Most of the instructions are very well presented and the whole book has a nice friendly feel and lots of information.

However, there are genuine mistakes throughout, and many more places where the instructions are ambiguous or misleading. I'm glad I own it, but my copy is stuffed full of my own notes and corrections on almost every page and this is certainly NOT a book for beginners. I found many of these patterns utterly infuriating, but I have certainly learned alot and improved my knitting through working with this book, at least partly because of the necessity to unravel and work around all the flaws. I wish I could give this a better rating because I love most everything included here and how it's put together, but the mistakes are just too many and too significant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amigurumi Knits, 26 Jun 2011
S. Dodson "Sandra" (Tring) - See all my reviews
I have never had so much fun from a book before. These patterns are easier if you have the set of skills required for knitting any Elizabeth Zimmerman sweater, but the instructions are provided and well worth sticking with. The results are breathtaking and addictive. I knitted the snail yesterday. It starts off all in a line on the needles, you increase, decrease a bit and when you cast off, it curls into a beautiful shell shape all on its own, genious. I now believe nobody has a complete life without a knitted octopus, they are beautiful. If you only buy one knitted toy book, especially for boys ( and I have loads, books not boys), make it this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars cute!, 7 Feb 2011
Alex Breen - See all my reviews
This is such a cute book! Before I bought this book I hadn't knitted in the round before but it had such clear instructions and really nice pictures to help you along I found it no problem to learn. All of the designs are really cute too and I can't wait to make them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 22 April 2010
This book is wonderful. I bought it when I was not a very experienced knitter and I learnt quite a lot by just knitting the patterns in it - starting with the earthworm. Skills/techniques learned included short-row shaping, Kitchener stitch and left- and right-leaning increases. Clear, accessible and well illustrated instructions and truly inspiring ideas! I have now made four earthworms, the octopus, the snail, the kraken and the ant (as well as a couple of other patterns not in the book which I bought from Ravelry)

As you can see, I completely disagree with the reviewer who gave it one star. These days any errata can be found online with minimum effort. I'd give this book six if I could.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great knitting book, 13 Oct 2009
I bought this book as have been looking everywhere for a knitting book for these small creatures as all I have found so far are crochet.
I am very pleased so far, it is very descriptive, instructions are very easy to understand.
One wordof warning for all you average knitters, these are all knitted either on 3/4 double pointed kneedles or 2 round kneedles. So a bit fiddly but worth it in the end.
I would recommend this book to your average or experienced knitter.

1.0 out of 5 stars umm, 30 July 2011
great ideas but depends on you being able to use four needles, so my 14 year old is not able to make use of the book

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!, 28 Jan 2012
Ms. E. C. Hayden (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic book and I really think it is underrated on here. I'd only ever knitted half a cardigan and half a scarf before getting bored with them and giving this a go. I did find it was a sharp learning curve to start with but I would say that once you've done one you can pretty much do all of them. People have criticised this book for not having enough instructions and pictures whereas I have not found a problem in terms of pictures: when I need more demonstrations I'll go online to YouTube and watch videos on the stitches, it's much easier.
So far I have knitted the aubergine, tomato, ant, black devil anglerfish, octopus and starfish and haven't found any problems with the patterns. Everyone comments on how cute they are! If I do come across anything I will go onto ravelry and find out the problem. The only things that have gone wrong for me was when I messed up myself or wasn't familiar with the stitch. I would definitely recommend this book to others as a great book with lovely cute patterns in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun projects with a bit of a challange, 27 Aug 2014
I've knitted three of the animals from this book already,the jellyfish,the octopus and the spider,I found the patterns clear and well explained,I'd never worked from a chart before or used two of the increases but everything is explained so clearly I got on and did it! These are fun projects,challenging for a fairly new knitter but an ideal way to learn.

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of mistakes, 9 Jan 2010
S. Dent (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
I was so looking forward to knitting all the patterns, however, it is full of mistakes. Having looked on other review sites since receiving the book, i have seen many similar reveiws. When i took the book into my local wool shop, the owner said ''oh no, you haven't bought that book have you?''. I have made the starfish, however, had to correct many mistakes along the way and won't be knitting any more.

Amigurumi Knits: Patterns for 20 Cute Mini Knits
Amigurumi Knits: Patterns for 20 Cute Mini Knits by Hansi Singh (Paperback - 24 April 2009)