5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
This book was added to my wishlist the second I knew of it's publication. It didn't let me down.

Published on 10 Jan. 2008 by Beadscott

3.0 out of 5 stars An eyeful of a book
This book deals primarily with jewellery made with Swarovski crystals. Laura McCabe has an enviable reputation in the beading world and her designs are often lush, unexpected and exotic. Her offerings here are no exception.

Published on 23 May 2011 by Z. Herbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 10 Jan. 2008
Beadscott (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creating Crystal Jewelry with Swarovski: 65 Sparkling Designs with Crystal Beads and Stones (Paperback)

Experienced beaders will find plenty to inspire them and push their limits and beginners/intermediates will find lots of challenges, although I would suggest they gain some experience in the basic stitches before tackling the projects. That said, maybe all beaders ought to get this book to see just what can be acheived in beading.

The book focuses on bezeling (surrounding a bead/stone, in this case with smaller beads) specifically using a well known brand of crystal beads. There is a comprehensive guide to the beads and techniques used, together with bead sizes and counts required to bezel specific gems.

The diagrams are exceptionally clear, instructions comprehensive and pictures beautiful and bountiful. There are 20 projects stated, but with variations suggested, the sky's the limit.

Even though it is only January, I doubt there will be any book released this year to top this as my favourite. Because I've given a few other books five stars already, I would really like to give this six, or seven, or eight...!

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous, 3 Jan. 2009
Amazing and beautiful bling. The instructions are very clear, and although the end pieces are stunningly complex they were not so hard to create as a first glance might suggest.

however, finding some of the unusual and essential beads used in the UK (vintage rivolis and size 15 czech charlottes) was impossible so be prepared to shop on line across the world for supplies...

3.0 out of 5 stars An eyeful of a book, 23 May 2011
Z. Herbert "solaan" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

The book opens with a history of the Swarovski company and the crystals they produce. Seed beads, crystal and the various tools needed are dealt with over Chapters Two and Three. Ms McCabe gives instructions for four basic bead-threading/stitching techniques, shows how to make a bead bezel to support a cabochon or crystal and various ways of making beaded clasps or closures for necklaces and bracelets. She shows different ways one can embellish beaded chains or surrounds.

There are twenty projects to make: necklaces, rings, bracelets, brooches and earrings, each with large, clear diagrams and full-colour photographs of the finished pieces. Many are spectacular. Ms McCabe suggests how long each project might take to complete, the average being between ten to twelve hours and offers us different colour combinations that give a different 'look' to the same pattern.

I liked the initial impact of the jewellery although some of the pieces look over-elaborate to me, almost using crystals for their own sake rather than as a means to an end. A bit, how many can I pack into this piece? I thought to try a necklace but when I looked more closely at the list of materials for the Crystal Burst Necklace I saw it calls for around ten gross of Swarovski crystals - that's almost fifteen hundred pieces - as well as eleven rivolis and various seed beads. Ten gross is a lot of crystals.

A glance at the other necklaces showed substantial numbers of crystals needed; the Crystal Dahlia necklace, lovely as it is, takes twelve gross pieces, which, if one adds the rivolis needed as well, is beyond my budget. I wonder about the weight of such crystal-heavy pieces. Having never held so many in my hand, I can't say how they would feel as a necklace. I made a beaded headdress many years ago, sumptuous and grand; it was too heavy to wear and gave me a blinding headache after half an hour. I would be nervous of a repeat performance with some of Ms McCabe's pieces. Maybe I'll have to content myself with a pair of earrings or a simple ring.

It is a lovely book to look at, beautifully produced and a fine example of what can be achieved when money and time are freely available.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful beadwork, 13 Feb. 2009
K. Hammond (cleveland, uk) - See all my reviews
I have dozens of beading books and this is the one I keep coming back to, once you have learned the bezelling technique (easier than you would imagine), you can make the most spectacular 'bling' jewellery - definately a book to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 16 Mar. 2009
Being an intermediate level beader, I was hoping for a book that was not too difficult, but that challenged me enough to stay interested. I was not disappointed.
This book is packed with the most beautiful crystal jewellery. It looks really complicated, but actually isnt that tricky. With a basic knowledge of peyote stitch, you can be making these lovely items in no time. There are many variations on the colour schemes, and so any level beader should find something of interest in this book.
My only problem with this book is knowing which project to tackle first....

2.0 out of 5 stars 65 designs? Hardly, 8 July 2010
The book is really helpful, you can learn how to make this kind of jewellery, that's fine. But it says 65 sparkling designs - actually there are like 18 of them, the rest is just color variations on any given real design, that's why I give just 2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creating Crysta Jewelry with Swarovski: 65 Sparkling Designs with Crystal Beads and Stones, 2 July 2009
I had seen the work of Laura McCabe before but to find a book containing her work was a real treat. Being a self taught bead artist, I often find it tedious to follow instructions however I found the instructions clear and concise and very easy to follow. The book was wonderfully colourful and beautifully photographed and it was lovely to see the various options of each style aswell as the additional description of the material used for each one. I have already adapted the bracelet design and made one as a present for someone and it looks fantastic. I'm so pleased I found this book. My imagination has certainly been sparked and I am now onto a pair of earrings for my best friends birthday. This would also make an excellent present for anyone who loves beading and already has some knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Book, 4 April 2009
The instructions are clear and easy to follow for all the projects I've tried. A truly lovely book to have and a must for all crystal fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice book, not many patterns, 13 Nov. 2013
A really well explained book, my only issue is that it focuses a lot on the same thing, mainly how to bezel a crystal. All of the jewellery looks amazing and its a great way of getting colour combination ideas, but there isn't much in the way of different designs or patterns to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 28 Oct. 2009
A truly amazing book and so inspiring. It would make a lovely gift for a beader who likes a little bit of sparkle.