Format: Paperback|Change

How delightful. As a beader I thought this looked like a bit of a challenge and it proved correct. A wonderful book and an absolute joy. I found making some of the boxes a bit tricky but a lot of fun and if you are patient and persist you will produce a little gem of a box. Quite, Quite beautiful.
on 24 June 2009
I stumbled upon this book as I was looking for knitting books (the author has a book on bead knitted bags as well) and was immediately intrigued. I decided to give it a try even though I had limited experience with beads and no experience with the peyote stitch. I've just finished my first box and I am thrilled. The box came together quite well and I'm excited to start my next one. I found the word maps to be easy to follow, the illustratons helpful and the finished product brilliant. The author's website address is provided and it's a good idea to go there for her errata sheet that provides corrections to a few errors in the word patterns. All in all a gem of a book that provides patterns to make the 12 boxes as well as guidance for creating boxes with your own your designs.
on 9 November 2009
This attractive soft-cover book gives clear instructions for making small,self-supporting,beadwork boxes, ie. they are not worked over any foundation material. The colour illustrations and working diagrams are excellent. The designs come in many shapes and styles, including triangular and hexagonal. The wide pages allow the book to remain open reasonably well, but as with all instruction books that get handled a lot, a spiral binding and stiffer cover would have been more practical. For beadworkers looking for inspirational ways of moving on, this book does the trick.
on 31 March 2009
This book is excellent. Explains very well how to make the boxes... you don't have to have done beading before, but probably helps as I had already done a little. The only thing is it takes ages to make one... but they are beautiful at the end.
on 11 September 2012
I bought the kindle version of this book and as such I am rating this version not just the content. This is the first time I have purchased a beading book on the kindle and I did wonder how well the diagrams would work on it. As my kindle is in black and white only some of the pattern designs are a little tricky to read. Full word maps of the patterns are given though. However, it is worth noting that the kindle version is in full colour on the PC reading app so if you prefer a visual picture rather than the word map, you may end up reading this book more on your PC than the kindle when following the patterns or viewing the photos. The box construction diagrams are easy enough to read on the kindle although the wording that goes with the diagram does not usually appear on the same page as the diagram itself, even on 2 page view on the PC app. You can see what I mean by downloading the free sample version or clicking on the 'look inside' option. If you compare with the 'look inside' on the print book the layout is much easier to follow in the print version as the diagrams appear alongside the relavent text. There is an active table of contents and active page links in the index- very useful!

The content of this book is fanastic and a must for anyone interested in beaded contruction. Julia gives detailed instructions for several box designs as well as patterns to apply to these models. She has further patterns you can purchase on her website but you do need the book to tell you how to construct them. Blank graphs are also provided in the book and can be printed from her website so you can design your own patterns to be applied to the different shapes. The different shaped boxes are triangle, hexagon, pentagon, square and oblong variations. The "12 miniture boxes" mentioned in the subtitle refer to the 12 patterns (3 each of tri, hex, pent and squ). The box construction instructions give you all the techniques you need to design many more of your own.

I would not recommend this book to the beginner beadweaver, it is more appropriate to those wishing to expand their beadweaving knowledge. Full stitch instructions are provided but you should really be comfortable working in flat and tubular peyote stitch before attempting projects in this book.

(Book errata can be found on Julia's website, although as far as I can tell the errors have been corrected in the kindle edition- I have not checked them all though so it may be worth downloading just incase)

Book content 5 stars
Kindle version 3.5 stars
VINE VOICEon 6 March 2011
I am new to beading and have looked at this book. I love the designs. When I am more proficient I shall have a go. The designs would make lovely gifts
on 30 December 2012
I love Peote bead work and these little boxes are a treat, tried with larger beads to get the hang of things, now ready to start with the Delica beads
on 14 May 2009
An instruction manual that is not only inspiring in its ideas, but clear in its presentation - I could not wait to get started on the projects! Only snag . . . the delica beads required are not easy to source locally, and mail order is both expensive and colour representation poor - be warned the American colour codes in the book are not the same as ours! However, it is worth getting around this problem
on 14 April 2014
I love beading and beading boxes is a little different from doing jewellery. I bought the book on kindle which I wouldn't recommend as you need to keep flipping back and forth through the book for instructions. The book itself is well written and very clear, the patterns being easy to read. I would definitely recommend this book if you like beading, the boxes take quite a while to make but are lovely when finished.
on 17 July 2013
I found this book by chance , I typed bead boxes in as in"storage" and this book popped up, it look quite interesting so I bought it . Hadn't chance to do any of the boxes yet as I don't have the right type of beads. It's a shame books like this don't provide some of the materials to produce one of the projects as you can get a bit deflated when you don't have the right stuff for it.