Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 June 2012
I have had trouble on and off for 3 years with my right rotator cuff.

Since purchasing this book a few weeks ago, the progress made has been stunning. I have much improved mobility and reduced discomfort in the shoulder joints.

One key strength of this book is that it is based on research undertaken by the author, who is an orthopedic surgeon.

I would recommend also reading How to Treat Your Rotator Cuff by Jim Johnson, which is similarly based on extensive research.

Do be aware that the main exercise recommended by Dr Kirsch requires the installation or purchase of hanging equipment or use of gym equipment for pull-ups and chins.
on 15 June 2013
I have been doing the hanging only and about three times a day for thirty seconds using a door frame chin up bar with feet on the ground.

I have had massive relief. It is painful to do but this stimulates the bone spurs to move. I was a rugby player and suffered grade 2 impingement in both arms for many years. I played as a prop forward where the forces on the shoulders are massive and cause the bone to thicken.

It will not heal the thin cartilage in the shoulder but the main source of pain was the impingement.

I was told I would need a major operation in a few years. Now they say I am fine.
on 22 January 2014
At the time of writing I note that the book has five stars. I am absolutely stunned at how this is possible.
There is so much wrong with this book that it is flattery to even call it a "book".
It spends nearly 100 pages telling you one single thing - that if you have shoulder pain then you should hang from a branch/metal bar for as long as you can and build this up over time because this stretches and strengthens the supporting muscles.
And why should we do this? Because the author came up with the huge revelation that we descended from creatures who would hang from trees, so we should be continue to do so. Rather spurious as an argument, but even if it were true, I seriously begrudged paying such a high price for a book which repeats itself constantly. And I don't mean that it reinforces the message by clarifying it and supporting it. The message is abundantly clear already and has nothing to support it (i.e. no scientific evidence to back up the claims). When I say "repeats itself" I literally mean that the majority of the book has been copied and pasted several times, by the author's own admission he repeats things that he feels "are important" but it is just the same picture of a shoulder with the same caption on most pages, and the same dialogue in every chapter. He also admits that he avoided going down the route of science (i.e. conducting strict experiments and looking to get his work published by peer review publications) because he wanted to get it straight to the reader (as if he's trying to say that peer reviewed, properly tested papers would not be picked up by every professional worth their salt across the land ...). He also says that he will avoid confusing us with too much scientific terminology.
He takes up long parts of the book to include various "My story"s, supposedly from healed clients of his who tell us all about how their shoulder used to stop them from doing this and that and now they're cured. There is even an (unintentionally) hilarious bit in there that has been written by a guest contributor who explains that this hanging-from-a-bar method will be good for your sleep, because a sore shoulder stops us from sleeping on our side, hence can lead to sleep apnea.
I could go on and on, but trust me, even if the hanging-from-a-bar method does have any use, you don't need to buy the book I have already told you what to do, and if he really believed that his method works then he would pursue getting it properly studied and published for the world to see and for us all to cure ourselves. It has been written purely to make money from people who are in too much pain to be picky and will try anything for relief. He should be ashamed of himself for his terrible attempt at writing, and for his shameful attempt to squeeze money out of the infirm.
on 6 February 2013
This makes so much sense. My problem resolved so i am keeping it in case i have shoulder pain in the future.It worked for me.
I should have hung from door frame because curtain pole broke . he he ,my pain was really bad so i was not thinking straight.
I am grateful for this book because now i understand how the shoulder works. I will use this method again
on 3 June 2015
Amazing book! Day 7 and I'm already seeing MASSIVE differences in both of my injured shoulders. Those who like think should check out The Genius Of Flexibility by Bob Cooley, the Ido Portal method and anything by Paul Chek.
on 17 July 2013
I had suffered from shoulder pain in my left shoulder for coming up to a year. Gradually worsening so I could no longer do press ups, pulls ups, sit for even a short length of time at a PC, lift weights above my head. I was about to see my GP when I discovered this book. I'm no medical expert but what was written about shoulders their anatomy and their problems made sense. I gave the exercises a go. The problem wasn't cured immediately (the book doesn't claim they will be) but you feel the benefit immediately. Now after about 3 months the pain is almost gone, I can now do push ups and pull ups and I would say my shoulder feels almost back to normal. Yes you do need a bar to do the exercises from, ideally one where you can hang full length - I use a chin up bar which is not ideal - but do not let that put you off. This book is literally amazing. Now I just need Mr Kirsch to find a cure for knee pain!
on 18 January 2015
A cheap simple solution to shoulder problems. Worth trying if you have sore or frozen shoulders. Nothing to lose !
on 1 October 2014