on 29 September 2006
Any review of a language-learning tool should, I think, be prefaced with a brief description of the context in which it is being used. I'm self-teaching (via Alif Baa alone) supported by monthly half-day sessions with a native Arabic-speaking tutor (a PhD student at a local university). We review what I've covered and go through further examples.

Alif Baa comprises 10 units with 2 supporting DVDs. The DVDs are absolutely excellent and very professionally produced. The first 7 units take you through the alphabet, learning pronunciation, learning to write, how to use the various long and short vowels, shedda and sukkun. The remaining 3 units take you through the number system, further grammatical elements of the language plus some cultural aspects and calligraphy.

How much time have I spent? Well, I'm personally pretty serious about learning the language after several holidays to Arabic-speaking countries and have, to date, spent over 200 hours on the first 7 units. Some of them I've done twice because they were quite difficult. In particular, I found units 4 and 5 of the book to be the hardest. Here you learn the so-called emphatic consonants plus the tricky `ayn' and `ghayn' sounds. But don't give up !!! If you don't get it, do it again until you `just about' get it. Further examples later in the book will reinforce your understanding and things do become clearer.

The DVDs contain video footage of a professional calligrapher showing you how to write the letters. The book also takes time and effort to show you how printed forms of letters vary from real handwriting. But, for me, really makes this book such a superb learning tool is the rich range of interactive exercises. Throughout the book you will be referred to the DVDs to perform listening exercises, dictation (listen and write), learn vocabulary, writing exercises (joining letters), view street signs, video footage of everyday scenes and so forth. You can also write directly in the book --- it is a workbook, not a textbook. It makes learning Arabic a completely active, not passive, activity.

How can you monitor your progress? Easy, buy the accompanying answer book but resist the temptation to cheat. Do the exercises because they are absolutely the key to success. Believe me.

Learning Arabic won't happen by osmosis: it takes effort, dedication, practise and perseverance. If you're serious about learning the language then this book/DVD combination will give you an absolutely rock-solid foundation on which to build further studies. For me, I feel a real sense of achievement as the once indecipherable Arabic squiggles slowly take form to become letters, words and sounds.

This book is only the start of a long journey but if you stick with it and complete Alif Baa with DVDs you'll be off to a great start.
on 25 April 2007
I cannot talk highly enough about this series! I have been trying to learn Arabic independently over the last 6 months, in which time I have bought numerous books and dvds to help me. None of these compare to this one: the book is clearly layed out with exercises that are simple to understand and increase in difficulty as you progress through each step. The DVD puts Linguaphone's to shame: it has a menu that makes navigation easy, a variation of teaching techniques for all learners and the sound is of a good quality. I would highly recommend this to anyone trying to learn Arabic independently or with tuition. Al-kitaab fii ta allum al-arabiyya follows this book in the series and is equally as excellently written.
on 13 November 2005
This is an amasingly well done teaching programme,especially where pronunciation is concerned. The video part with the alaphabet pronunciation is excellent and the different dialogues and pronunciation drills are great. I am going through several methods to learn Arabic and this is not only the most precise but the most effective I have come across. A fantastic tool for any beginers and especially if you have no Arabic speaker around to help.
on 23 March 2007
Salaam!

I used this book last semester in Arabic 101. While my instructor was insanely awesome in his teaching methods, this book proved to be a great tool throughout the term. As one of the reviewers described below, it gives complete and thorough instruction for beginners of the Arabic language. The CD's were great to use and really proved immeasurably useful when it came to pronunciation.

As someone who has used this book, I highly recommend it for educators, students, self-teachers, etc.
on 27 July 2009
One month ago I was scared by all those strange signs, dots and "snakes" the arabic alphabet was composed of.
Now I can easily write every word, and I'm able to recognize, under dictation, 80% of short vowels and "strange consonants" like ayn, ghayn and haa, the hamza, the long vowels that become consonants... I studied 1-2 hours per day, I watched the beautiful DVD, I also tried to learn some calligraphy...
Absolutely the best way to begin studying Arabic! I've already purchased "Al Kitaab" and I'm looking forward to following on! It's incredible, but with this method it really seems (!) easy !!!
on 15 December 2012
Item in good conditions (only a few notes here and there) and dispatched on time.

This book really meets the expectations of any English speaking person willing to learn Arabic. Though it's not suitable for all areas (it's mainly the Arabic spoken in Egypt), its structure supported by audio and video gives a good clear base to learn how to read and write. Of course, Arabic learning cannot only be achieved through this book (the following volumes of this series are very good).
on 8 January 2010
A quite excellent introduction to the Arabic language and its script. Simple, easy to follow lessons that takes the reader step by step through the perceived minefield .
The approach is user-friendly and, unlike so many other similar products, is down-to-earth and treats the reader as an individual.
I recommend this product without hesitation.
on 11 March 2011
Personally I rate this book as being highly overpriced, and of very little use to anyone taking structured Arabic lessons. If you are attempting to self teach then perhaps this book would be helpful but otherwise give it a miss. As an Arabic student at university I was told to buy it when I began my course which I Immediately regretted due to the minimal amount of use I got out of it and the high price I had paid for it. Most arabic grammar books(such as "Arabic: an essential grammar" by Faruk abu-chacra) discuss the letters and their various written forms in a much more succinct way. There are of course severe limits on attempting to learn sounds from the written page and no book can teach it past a certain point. I also personally dislike the whole series having worked through books 1 and 2 before finally being allowed to drop them due to the bizarre and incoherent way they introduce grammar points, the ridiculous choice of vocab items to be taught, texts that don't match the level of the accompanying lessons and finally the writers conviction that really all students of arabic should really be learning Egyptian dialect rather than classical. However the limited number of alternative books really does not leave the student of Arabic a whole lot of choice
on 24 November 2013
I ordered this book for my 14 year old daughter and my 7 year old son who are very committed to learn Arabic. The book arrived quite late 4 weeks after ordering but I did not mind that. When I opened the book though, I saw it scribbled all over inside with a pen and could not find a single DVD. That was extremely disappointing as the the book is practically useless without DVDs. They were the main reason I ordered the book in the first place. Very disappointing indeed!!!
on 17 December 2014
I'm looking forward to using it in my Arabic course next term.