on 17 February 2016
I had all this author's books and think his methods are simple but really effective - they certainly made a positive impact on my family. I first bought and read Steve Bidduplh's books over 30 years ago when my boys were small and raised 3 wonderful sons using his positive direction. The first two books are also excellent and I'd really recommend anyone raising children to read them as they are easy to read, understand and implement. What's not to like? People used to compliment me on how well my boys behaved, they would remarks at how loving, kind and gentle they were and ask what my "secret" was... There was no "secret" just the wonderfully, warm, honest and effective common sense that these books give you - it's a simple as that.

By the way my eldest son was quite a handful before I came across these book when he was 6 years old. I struggled with knowing quite how to help him and he was wrongfully diagnosed with ADHD and Petit Mal seizures. The first 2 books written by Steve Biddulph literally changed my life overnight and from that time onwards my son's behaviour improved enormously as did my relationship with him. While the Health Visitor/GP and even a specialist had been quite useless in helping me to "reach" him these books did the job and did it spectacularly well. Years later (at 16 years old) he was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, which (now more than 30 years ago) was simply just not recognised then as it is today, but these books were all we needed... Today my son is a very highly paid and sought after IT consultant (AS people are often gifted in IT) and I'm so thankful that I was able to receive the direction he needed at the time he needed it.

I truly believe these books work for all children - my other 2 sons did not have AS and were also of quite different personalities to my eldest, yet they definitely benefited from these methods. This, I believe, shows that no matter what type of personality, ability or demands your child has, you can - and will - succeed if you follow these well tried and tested methods.

In fact I have just bought this copy of "Raising Boys" for my eldest son (now 32) and his wife who have a daughter and son of a year old. I've also given them my own copies of "Raising Happy Children" and its sequel. What better recommendation of a book can you ask for?
on 25 October 2012
A brilliant book and I would say required reading for any parent of a boy. It is a great book to dip in and out of as your child/grandchild/nephew or whatever reaches different stages. My little boy is 4 and hopefully it will continue to give me much needed information and ideas.
A must for any parent.
on 23 April 2013
Good book, I haven't finished reading it, but I have already learned some things I wasn't aware of before. It gives a good overview and comparison of differences or no differences in certain ages of the genders which is very helpful.
on 1 September 2014
interesting, makes you think more about your actions towards boys, and your ideas of what boys are and should be like
on 17 December 2010
This book is ok... certainly not ground-breaking, and not as analytical of the research as I would have expected for the price - very 'sound-bitey' (?aka american). It's the kind of book you might give to new and relatively niave parents - and in this circumstance, this is a very good book.
However, I find some of the author's personal views quite disconserting, e.g.
"A dad who is close to his daughter is so good for her, because he becomes the yardstick by which he measures boys. If she knows from you that she is interesting, intelligent and worthwhile, boys have to measure up to this - which eliminates 80 percent of them right off the bat! This has to be a good investment!"
Really???
Surely the author's attitude to boys is up for speculation here...
It creates an all-american stereo-type in my head of 'daddy's girls'; all too perfect and prissy to be tarnished by the hormonal drive of grubby little boys who after all are all 'slugs & snails' and there's nothing you can do about that, no matter how much we improve their lot.
Don't get me wrong, I agree entirely with the main ethos of this book, but I would have liked more science and less anecdotal musing.
on 9 November 2013
Provided a short and insightful commentary on what boys need at different stages of their lives. Quick and easy to read as well
on 13 August 2014
Fabulous read , made me really understand raising boys .
on 29 November 2010
Bought for my son for his children, only wish I had had a copy when he was in his teens.
on 20 March 2015