on 1 January 2009
Firstly, I want to say that I have the first edition of Dr Sarah Buckley's book, and this is the second edition which is available on Amazon. I am hoping that my brief review on the first edition will be useful though I understand there are some differences between the editions.

Sarah has written a brillinat book which covers topics relevant both to pregnancy and the post-natal period. Chapters cover Epiduaral, Caesarean Section, use of other pain-relief drugs in pregnancy, lotus birth, co-sleeping, attachment parenting and breastfeeding.

As a Dr, Sarah looks at research and uses this evidence in her book. There are also personal stories of her own birth experiences at home, including breech birth, water birth and home birth.

A wonderful read for those who are already pro natural birth as well as those who are still undecided and want to know more about their options.

I work as a birth professional and I have found that my clients who hope to achieve a natural birth, or a home birth, just love this book and find it an excellent source of information.
on 12 June 2011
I bought this book after attending one of Dr Sarah Buckley's workshops covering natural birth and the importance of the ecstatic hormones. Sarah was engaging, inspiring and totally absorbing to listen to. She was open and giving of herself which is always a delight but she was never condescending and the information never felt like a lecture. I was so enthralled with her common sense approach to all things related to pregnancy, birth and the early postnatal period that I wanted to find out more. I only wish there were more practitioners around with her wisdom and knowledge. This would be a wonderful book for parents and professionals (I am a registered midwife with over 25 years experience but I still learnt a lot from Sarah). It provides the reader with a window into the world of birth as nature intended. Nothing short of inspirational!
on 17 March 2014
A truly beautiful book for any mother-to-be (or father!), who is feeling slightly swept up by the medicalisation of birth and wants to reclaim her natural empowerment for the birthing process! I've always thought I would have a natural birth, but when I became pregnant suddenly wanted to research more into 'why' I wanted to shy away from epidurals and other drugs and procedures that would distance me from the birthing experience and in turn my baby.

Sometimes this book I felt goes into too much scientific study and I did skim-read some parts where there was too much detail about studies against each drug, but I'm still giving it 5/5 as it really is a testament to the female body and how we are DESIGNED to birth naturally. Ofcourse, if emergency situations genuinely arise, then I am grateful for having a hospital nearby, but, a natural undisturbed birth is what I feel we should ALL be aiming for, for the best start we can give ourselves as parents, and our babies as new beings into this world.
on 28 June 2014
I wish I'd read this the first time I was pregnant. Invaluable. My only complain about the kindle version is that there are so many references (which is actually brilliant) that on the kindle touch it's hard not to accidentally hit a reference and end up at the back of the book when you're turning the page. I wished I'd bought the paperback!
on 7 October 2011
I was really looking forward to reading this book but it wasn't really what I was expecting in the end. I'm from an orthodox medical science background myself and am interested in having a natural birth, so I expected to be on the same wavelength as Dr Buckley but some of her ideas are a little extreme for me e.g. the lotus birth where the placenta is not disconnected from baby until it separates naturally. I guess there was more of a spiritual element to this book than what I was expecting. I also found her assessments of the standard tests and screens a little bit frightening, talking about infant mortality rates etc. I know she was quoting facts from research and studies but at 38 weeks pregnant, I guess I was hoping for inspiration from positive natural birth stories (which to be fair, she does provide when describing her own children's births) rather than being scared about what can go wrong if a birth becomes medicalised.
on 22 December 2009
I found this book to be very interesting reading, in fact I didn't put it down! I found the information and approaches to be convincing as most appear based on scientific evidence and being a nurse myself, I can relate to someone trained in the medical profession questioning medical interventions being done 'just because they always have been done' and looking for gentler alternatives. I would highly recommend this book.
on 5 November 2013
Personally most of the information in here is not new as I've already read articles that cover similar topics from writers such as Chris Kresser or from antenatal courses. It does collate all the information with detailed supporting studies all together in one handy book. Topics covered include ultrasounds, epidurals, c-sections, placenta delivery, and breast feeding supported by stories from Sarah's own experiences. I chose this book over Ina May's Guide to Childbirth because it covered post-natal topics. However, it doesn't cover practical tips on labour pain management and HOW to have a gentle birth. It focuses more on what you should avoid and provides recommended reading for the how-to's. So I'm now considering reading Ina May after all.
on 4 March 2014
This book will hopefully dispel all the negative stories you will hear surrounding childbirth as a first time mom to be. Written in easily accessible language with clear descriptions of all the elements of childbirth from pain relief to breast feeding, this is one of the best books I have come across in the run up to the birth of my first child.
It takes a very natural approach to childbirth - sometimes a bit overly so for some (I don't think I'll be having a lotus birth, for example) , but if you are hoping to achieve a natural childbirth with minimal intervention in the form of drugs etc, then this is your bible. Buckley's own accounts of the birth of her children are also a delight to read and will fill you with positivity.
on 27 February 2014
Good info, book ok overall, but she doesn't really talk about unassisted birth. Her ''natural'' births were all with interventions. Kinda disappointing.
on 11 August 2015
I simply loved this book! If you plan to have a natural birth this is a must have! The writer uses a simple language to explain how our body works so that you can gain more confidence as a mom who wants to know as much info as possible when it comes to giving birth without blindly relaying on doctors and midwives. I feel so much more educated and ready to give birth now. I suggest to start reading it as early as possible as it also helps with creating a birth plan adn gatehring questions for your midwife.