5.0 out of 5 stars Having a baby? This is essential Reading
Firstly, I want to say that I have the first edition of Dr Sarah Buckley's book, and this is the second edition which is available on Amazon. I am hoping that my brief review on the first edition will be useful though I understand there are some differences between the editions.

Published on 1 Jan. 2009 by Wolfwoman

2.0 out of 5 stars Read Ina May Gaskin's book instead
Published 4 days ago by Robert Illes

5.0 out of 5 stars Having a baby? This is essential Reading, 1 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: A Doctor's Guide to Natural Childbirth and Gentle Early Parenting Choices (Paperback)

Sarah has written a brillinat book which covers topics relevant both to pregnancy and the post-natal period. Chapters cover Epiduaral, Caesarean Section, use of other pain-relief drugs in pregnancy, lotus birth, co-sleeping, attachment parenting and breastfeeding.

As a Dr, Sarah looks at research and uses this evidence in her book. There are also personal stories of her own birth experiences at home, including breech birth, water birth and home birth.

A wonderful read for those who are already pro natural birth as well as those who are still undecided and want to know more about their options.

I work as a birth professional and I have found that my clients who hope to achieve a natural birth, or a home birth, just love this book and find it an excellent source of information.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book!, 12 Jun. 2011
I bought this book after attending one of Dr Sarah Buckley's workshops covering natural birth and the importance of the ecstatic hormones. Sarah was engaging, inspiring and totally absorbing to listen to. She was open and giving of herself which is always a delight but she was never condescending and the information never felt like a lecture. I was so enthralled with her common sense approach to all things related to pregnancy, birth and the early postnatal period that I wanted to find out more. I only wish there were more practitioners around with her wisdom and knowledge. This would be a wonderful book for parents and professionals (I am a registered midwife with over 25 years experience but I still learnt a lot from Sarah). It provides the reader with a window into the world of birth as nature intended. Nothing short of inspirational!

2.0 out of 5 stars Read Ina May Gaskin's book instead, 23 Feb. 2015
This was the second birthing book I read; the first was Ina May Gaskin's guide to Childbirth, so I was already familiar with things like Pitocin and prostaglandins etc. I didn't like the book because it felt like a hippie take on child birth, but disguised as being written by a doctor. It was probably my fault for not looking closely and seeing that she was a GP as opposed to an obstetrician, but it seriously reads like an 'alternative' view on childbirth rather than a truly scientific, medical based approach. Which is what I was after. Everything from her wording (she constantly refers to her husband as her 'beloved', while nothing wrong with that, it's all very emotional speak) to what she advocates is very alternative and I don't think necessarily backed up by science. There's one bit for example, where she writes about lotus birth and leaving the umbilical cord to fall off by itself, but there's no mention of the risk that blood may run in reverse (from baby into placenta) if you leave the cord uncut for too long. Don't get me wrong, I am 8 months pregnant and very much going for a drug-free birth (no epi, no Piton etc if I can help it), but this book is all too emotional and alternative and feels biased. I rolled my eyes a few times at the phrasing. It's also a slightly boring read! Given she presents herself as being from a medical background, I think she really dismissed a lot of medical recommendations so I think it would've been more accurate if she just marketed the book as her own personal view on childbirth. I think Ina May's book is much more helpful for those wanting a natural birth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and informative perspective on pregnancy and childbirth., 8 Jan. 2012
Ms. Victoria Reid "Dog Lover" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this out of interest while I was pregnant as I wanted to be able to make informed decisions. As the author is a doctor, this gives the educated reader an opportunity to explore the views of a very credible voice. The book is easy to read and you can dip in and out of it. In places I personally found it a bit too alternative for me but I did value and follow some of the views, particularly feeling empowered and minimising medical intervention. Definitely worth a read during pregnancy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit disappointed, 7 Oct. 2011
I was really looking forward to reading this book but it wasn't really what I was expecting in the end. I'm from an orthodox medical science background myself and am interested in having a natural birth, so I expected to be on the same wavelength as Dr Buckley but some of her ideas are a little extreme for me e.g. the lotus birth where the placenta is not disconnected from baby until it separates naturally. I guess there was more of a spiritual element to this book than what I was expecting. I also found her assessments of the standard tests and screens a little bit frightening, talking about infant mortality rates etc. I know she was quoting facts from research and studies but at 38 weeks pregnant, I guess I was hoping for inspiration from positive natural birth stories (which to be fair, she does provide when describing her own children's births) rather than being scared about what can go wrong if a birth becomes medicalised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought, 22 Dec. 2009
Steph (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be very interesting reading, in fact I didn't put it down! I found the information and approaches to be convincing as most appear based on scientific evidence and being a nurse myself, I can relate to someone trained in the medical profession questioning medical interventions being done 'just because they always have been done' and looking for gentler alternatives. I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read for all moms to be, 4 Mar. 2014
This book will hopefully dispel all the negative stories you will hear surrounding childbirth as a first time mom to be. Written in easily accessible language with clear descriptions of all the elements of childbirth from pain relief to breast feeding, this is one of the best books I have come across in the run up to the birth of my first child.
It takes a very natural approach to childbirth - sometimes a bit overly so for some (I don't think I'll be having a lotus birth, for example) , but if you are hoping to achieve a natural childbirth with minimal intervention in the form of drugs etc, then this is your bible. Buckley's own accounts of the birth of her children are also a delight to read and will fill you with positivity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok book, 27 Feb. 2014
Svetlana (Stockholm, Sweden) - See all my reviews
Good info, book ok overall, but she doesn't really talk about unassisted birth. Her ''natural'' births were all with interventions. Kinda disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 11 July 2011
This book is so informative, includes lots of scientific studies to back its claims but still manages to be totally accessible. I found it extremely useful when writing my birth preferences. I especially like the way that she deals with possible birth complications (which do occur even if we are perfectly designed to birth our babies naturally) so that the baby can be treated in the gentlest way possible, even in less-than-ideal circumstances.
I recommend it without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable advice and ideas., 28 Jun. 2014
I wish I'd read this the first time I was pregnant. Invaluable. My only complain about the kindle version is that there are so many references (which is actually brilliant) that on the kindle touch it's hard not to accidentally hit a reference and end up at the back of the book when you're turning the page. I wished I'd bought the paperback!