5.0 out of 5 stars Best. Cookbook. Ever!
Fantastic book, every recipe is delicious. This and her blog are fast becoming our only source of recipes! Can't wait to get her other book Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen.
Published on 16 Sep 2008 by Gareth

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't hit the mark
Published on 24 April 2012 by C. TYSON

5.0 out of 5 stars Best. Cookbook. Ever!, 16 Sep 2008
Gareth (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Natural Cooking: Five Delicious Ways to Incorporate Whole and Natural Ingredients (Paperback)
The only problem is sometimes it's difficult to find some of the more exotic ingredients which appear to be available on every street corner in San Francisco - but that's what Google's for.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't hit the mark, 24 April 2012
C. TYSON (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I love Heidi's blog 101 Cookbooks so had quite high hopes for this book but it just didn't seem to strike a note with me. It feels incredibly "American" in style and flavours thus not universal enough. The recipes seem like simple snacks rather than anything hearty you could serve as a main meal. I flicked through the whole thing and honestly only found one recipe that I thought I "might" make. I honestly wanted to like this book, I really did. But it left me feeling terribly uninspired and so back to Amazon it went.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb cookbook, 2 May 2007
If you are already a fan of food blog 101 Cookbooks - and even if you've never come across Heidi Swanson's high quality writing, ideas and images before - Super Natural Cooking is a new cookbook worth having on your kitchen shelves. I've already been inspired to try out some of the more esoteric - to me, at least - grains and foodstuffs that she covers in the cookbook, with plenty of recipes for natural foods like quinoa, millet and amaranth. This is a book which definitely broadens your cooking horizons.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something completely different, 18 July 2011
I love how she makes it so simple to cook and live healthier. The food tastes great and is really easy to make. Heidi understands that it is difficult to make sudden switches in your lifestyle and eases you into it. She states how much healthier you can live by making small changes in your eating pattern, and it really is! Not once she is pedantic, that's what I love about her! Photographs are great, recipes simple but tasty and simple tips to live healther.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to wholefood cooking, 24 Feb 2013
Giltar (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Have followed Heidi Swanson's excellent blog 101cookbooks for several months now and that prompted me to buy this book. I've used it for three weeks and it's already helping me use more wholegrains in my cooking. Her writing is clear and informative and I especially like the chapter 'Cook by Color' which as well as the recipes has also given me some general ideas about how to be more creative in my own cooking.

The author is a vegetarian but I'm not and still find the book useful. The emphasis here is relatively narrow but detailed so if you want a more general vegetarian cookbook go for Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's 'River Cottage Veg Every Day' Hugh covers a wider range of ingredients and more recipes but with less detail on wholegrains.

You have to convert the US measures to metric and some ingredients are hard to find in the UK or expensive if bought online. Also the nature of certain ingredients means it's likely to be a more useful book for confident rather than novice cooks. For those reasons I give it 4 stars but well worth buying if you're a regular cook who wants to incorporate more wholefoods into your meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 20 Jan 2013
Great book, unusual, healthy and tasty dishes. Recipes easy to follow though require a bit of effort, but are worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 7 Jun 2011
L. Officer - See all my reviews
I really like this book and am pleased I purchased it.

The recipes are an interesting fusion of styles we don't see so often in UK, the food I supposed feels a bit like the fare from the Leon restaurants but with more of an Japanese take maybe. There are a lot of combinations that feel innovative, it seems silly but I had never thought to put rice into a brothy soup (as shown on the front cover)! The focus on wholesome ingredients is really inspiring and I really like the way it considers how to substitute flours etc for the ingredients on hand. Having been familiar with the kind of food Heidi writes about on her blog I think this book is exactly what I hoped for.

The book looks lovely, brilliant photos that give a good idea of how the recipe will turn out. Everything looks wonderful!

Some of the ingredients are unfamiliar to a UK reader (what is crema?!) but it's easy to try and find something that will sub. in. This is a great book that focusses on proper healthy food from real ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diana's review, 17 Nov 2009
Arrived as new - Very good book - I just love Heidi's recipes and advice about food

2.0 out of 5 stars Not vegan, 23 Jun 2014
Bit disappointed, the book is quite boring and I assumed it would be vegan and it isn't. If you are into whole foods and health, don't buy this book as it recommends disease causing ingredients.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideas book, 13 Jan 2013
I follow Heidi's blog & I adore her method of cooking. Her book is an insight of an alternative way of substituting the basic cooking ingredients we are accoustomed to in the kitchen. She outlines ideas & peppers her book with suggestions which gives the reader free reign & creativity over the recipes. She understands that some of the ingredients might be difficult to find, so she suggests alternatives.

It is a book which has recipes that I would use. I also find the factual element of the sweeteners, flours, fats to use very helpful in making an informative decision about healthy cooking.

Keep up the great work.