5.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten ways - Alan Hirsch
Published on 2 May 2010 by N. Blows

3.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten Ways
An interesting read, and it puts across some challenging concepts. I had heard about SOUTH MELBOURNE CHURCH long before I heard about ALAN HIRSCH's book. Whilst interesting, my reaction to it was that Alan makes his case in a way and style that is perhaps more complex than Jesus ever intended His Church to be.
Read it by all means but you should try to keep the...
Published 19 months ago by D. G. Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten ways - Alan Hirsch, 2 May 2010
N. Blows (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church (Paperback)
A very challenging book - made me think over many important issues. I started by thinking that this was just another 'alternative church' book - but it is so much more. Allan has done his research - his reflections on the effects of Constantine becoming a Christian were very helpful to me - causing me to value again the Biblical model of the church that is given to us in the book of The Acts of the Apostles.

Similarly his insights into the effects of Greek thinking on our approach to learning, as set against the Hebrew method of ' acting our way into new ways of thinking' made me look again at the ways in which Jesus instructed those who wanted to follow him - so that they didin't just rest with the theory. Made me want to read the book of James all over again.

I didin't agree with all of the book - I thought that he is rather confused about how the Ephesians 4 ministries related to the church as a whole at one point - but that did not detract for me in the overall scheme of things.

All in all a very good read - well worth buying and reading twice!

Norman Blows

4.0 out of 5 stars For those tired of 'church' this will give you great hope., 3 Oct 2011
Expressing my discontent with the established church systems with their deadness and often with the church members subject to the control exercised by many pastors and church leaders this book is utterly refreshing in its account of seeking to be a "missional church", one that is true to the original call of seeing lives transformed through Jesus, making Him known and then communities of believers built. It is exciting, challenging, tells the truth 'warts and all', but is an essential read for tired and worn out pastors and leaders offering a very real way forward - if you have the courage; as well as refreshing to those concerned with the current malaise of many Western churches. A dangerous book to read if you are content in your rut.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 18 April 2012
Subversive & challenging, undermines our desire for comfort & security in the Christian life. A must read for anyone serious about following Jesus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nuggets of Gold, 6 Feb 2009
T. Chapman "Tim" (Grasse, France) - See all my reviews
An excellent book... probably heading rapidly towards a cult book... not and easy read but underneath the layers of creative grammar and vocabulary lies a vision for the church of the 21st century that could just be the right one.

5.0 out of 5 stars playing catch up, 21 Jan 2014
The Lord nudged me in the direction of this guy called Alan Hirsch. When you read something that interprets a lot of unspoken angst about matters of the kingdom, you know you've come to a good place. Good writing, intelligent teaching. I recommend for anyone seeking to see a generation discipled.

5.0 out of 5 stars What church should be!, 2 Mar 2013
This is an excellent book for all who are interested in what the church of Jesus Christ should really be and not what it is now!

5.0 out of 5 stars true to the gospel, 17 Feb 2013
True to the gospel in my opinion a very refreshing view of how we overcomplicate the gospel. Made me wonder if theologians have become the new Pharisees in their attempt to truly understand and interpret.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten Ways, 11 Sep 2012
D. G. Marshall (U.K.) - See all my reviews
Read it by all means but you should try to keep the implementation of the concepts and ideas as simple as possible.

ARRAY(0xaa251c48)

The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church by Alan Hirsch (Paperback - 1 April 2009)
9.09