My first 'shot' at a so-called 'Cozy Mystery' if you'll excuse the pun, and I have to say that it had me hooked. For a coffee-lover like me, this book was just the ticket to curl up with on a cold winters day- I'm glad I already have the rest of the series to trawl through, because I can't wait to read the others.

The book centers around 'Village Blend,' an old...
Published on 27 Dec. 2009 by Nicola F (Nic)

3.0 out of 5 stars I so wanted to like this...
Published on 17 May 2013 by Meeshy

4.0 out of 5 stars A truly 'Cosi' mystery- Clare Cosi that is. Oh, and I'll have a moccachino please., 27 Dec. 2009
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The book centers around 'Village Blend,' an old popular coffee store in New York and Clare Cosi, a former manageress who returns to work there, lured by the temptation of Blue Mountain Jamaican coffee from her former mother-in-law and the promise of a rent-free apartment above the store. Well, who could resist?

Clare, along with her cat Java, dutifully returns to work to find that Annabel, one of her trusted barristas, appears to have fallen down the stairs under suspicious circumstances one morning. Fallen... or was she pushed? Thrown headlong into investigating the mystery with her annoying ex-husband Matteo- Clare is determined to discover the truth- and prevent any damaging lawsuits that come their way in the meantime.

I have to say that this book isn't just a mystery book, just like Clare isn't your typical chicklit heroine- it's quirky and fun and filled with deliciously fun facts and information about coffee that will simply have you drooling. If like me, coffee is your beverage of choice and you enjoy a non-too-taxing novel then you have to check this one out.

3.0 out of 5 stars I so wanted to like this..., 17 May 2013
Meeshy (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
I found this book recommended on the blog of another writer I admire, and I love series, and quirky detective type stuff. But sadly this was flawed. The idea was OK and the plot wasn't bad. But the characters were terribly cliched, the coffee thing was beyond annoying, it was far too invasive. You got the impression the main character showered in coffee, sprinkled it on her pizza and drove a coffee coloured car. Tea drinkers were disapproved of and those who drink decaff downright insulted. That is me by the way, some people cannot tolerate caffiene for medical reasons, it's not exactly good for you, nor is it great to insult your readers perhaps? But the thing that really put me off was the terrible Mills and Boon type sugary sickly romancey stuff running through the whole thing. I won't be buying any others from this series, and this one is off to the charity shop!

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you go out and buy a coffee!, 24 Nov. 2008
I really enjoyed this first book in the Coffeehouse Mysteries series.

It was amusing in parts, and had loads of really interesting information about coffee (how to make it, how to tell good coffee from bad etc.) which was why i had to go out to Cafe Nero to get myself a cup of their new Amaretto Latte to drink while reading!

I would definately recommend this book to cosy mystery readers, i didn't guess the culprit until the very end (although i wasn't really trying to figure it out i was enjoying it too much!).

5.0 out of 5 stars One for coffee addicts :), 2 Mar. 2011
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Clare Cosi has abandoned the New Jersey suburbs in favour of returning to her old job managing the Village Blend in New York city. But Clare has barely moved herself and cat Java in before she discovers her assistant manager Anabelle unconcious at the back of the store surrounded by coffee grounds. The police seem convinced that Anabelle had a tragic and nasty fall, but Clare's gut tells her otherwise and soon she is on the hunt for an attempted murderer.

I've read this book a couple of times now, most recently because I have the next seven waiting to be read (Through the Grinder, Latte Trouble, Murder Most Frothy, Decaffeinated Corpse, French Pressed, Espresso Shot and Holiday Grind) and I still love it as much as I did the first time I read it.

The book is really well plotted, managing to set up Clare as a well-rounded protagonist, the mystery and the tension between Clare and her ex-husband Matteo perfectly without suffering from first-book-in-a-series-itis. The mystery is particularly well written, full of twists and turns but still logical and with an ending I didn't see coming.

One thing that really stands out to me about the book is the prologue from the killer's (or in this case attempted killer's) point of view leading up to the murder. It's something I haven't seen in other cozy mysteries, and a quick glance through the other Coffeehouse Mysteries shows it's a recurrent technique in these books. I think it's a great, albeit creepy, way to begin the book and sucks the reader straight in.

I really like Clare as a main character and having her ex-husband working with her allows for some great snarky comments and tense interactions. Clare's ex-mother-in-law Madame, the owner of the Blend, is incredible and I really hope she features more in future books because she's so wily and determined. The almost mandatory police character role is filled by Lieutenant Quinn, although he manages to avoid being a cookie cutter character and isn't automatically set up as a love interest. There is, however, potential for a future romance.

The coffee focus of the book is strong (no pun intended), but as a coffee lover I adored this aspect. If you aren't a coffee fan, I'd recommend giving this series a miss. The book is packed with coffee making tips and trivia, not to mention delicious sounding drinks and food, and even has a section at the end featuring recipes for The Village Blend's Caffe Canella, The Village Blend's Raspberry-Mocha Bocci, Clare's Cappuccino Walnut Cheesecake, Black Russian and a Screaming Orgasm.

All in all, this is a great cozy read and I'm looking forward to reading the next book Through the Grinder.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 9/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 10/10

Overall: 49/50

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 7 April 2015
I found this book a little tedious. The coffee theme is massively over done and got boring very quickly. The author is also very derogatory of anyone how dares drink tea or, gasp, decaf - despite the fact there are a lot of people out there who can't tolerate large amounts of caffeine and have no choice but to drink decaf or low caffeine alternatives. I also found the main character annoying, and there was nothing about her that I liked. She seemed to drool over every man she saw, let her ex walk all over her and was generally just irritating. In the end I didn't even bother finishing the story, and I will not be bothering with any of the other books in this series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a very promising start, 22 May 2008
Nimuje (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
I really wanted to like this book and I do enjoy cozy mysteries in general but this one didn't deliver.

It's clearly been written to a formula (divorcee starts a new - or in this case, old - life, meets handsome detective who's married of course, has trouble with husband/daughter etc and stumbles upon a crime which the police are reluctant to see ... etc etc).

Some coffee-making tips would have been nice if only they had been a bit more subtle, not on every single page. The whole coffee theme was stretched too far - even the cat was named Java and if the main character has a cocktail, guess what it'll be? Coffee liqueur, naturally. She bakes a cake with - yup, coffee in it, and so on.

Also, with a mystery this light a bit of humour would have been nice. I'll give the rest of this series a miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 29 Mar. 2013
I started out by reading the 5th coffeehouse mystery and enjoyed it so much that i have had to purchase all of the series so far, totally loving the relationship between Clare her ex Matt and Mike the detective, just finished reading Holiday Buzz and now i can't wait for the next in the series which is not due out till later on in the year boo hoo!! :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Read for Coffee Lovers, 21 Jan. 2014
I liked this, more for the data on coffee and how to store and make different blends, brews, and grinds, than for the characters and -plots, which were fun and light, but not great literature -- but who wants to read great literature all the time? Nice, light, fun to read
novels are a necessary genre and this series fits the bill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, 1 Aug. 2013
Mrs. E. J. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
This book was recommended to me as I've read most of the Agatha Raisin books. Its was very easy to read and I was engrossed in it very quickly. I was surprised at who had done it. Have purchased most of the series for my kindle now and can't wait to read them

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 9 April 2013
1. It is a really good read.
2. I like that you can gradually grow with the Claire Character as she learns to be a detective.
3. Anyone who likes a good book with a good twist at the end.

On What Grounds: A Coffeehouse Mystery (Wheeler Cozy Mystery)
Used & New from: £22.86