Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 September 2007
For the most part this book follows on from where the CCNA coursebooks leave you. It is accurate and the "do I know this already" sections really can assist drill down time into areas of concern.

The book does not cover all aspects of the areas touched apon and only seeks to push one closer to the BCMSN exam. For a more indepth analysis of Cisco LAN concepts see the Cisco website.
on 11 March 2009
Having read this book, mastered the content and sat the exam, i can honestly say this alone is not enough to pass it. I would say it covers around 70% of the exam imo. Even then there were things which appeared on the exam which i never saw in ANY of my study material. You def need extra resources for voip/ wireless / switch security. i used this book, the lab portfolio, cbt nuggets, chris bryant material, self study guide and cisco docs.

Tip: take the pro level exams serious, there a new beast if you havent sat them before like me.
on 18 November 2008
I agree with all other reviewers here. I sat the BCMSN today (and failed!) and noted plenty of questions testing detail that is not covered by this book. The technical level is frequently too basic, and I found myself looking to other sources to clarify some of the things that were actually covered. I'll be looking elsewhere this week to find the ones that aren't in here.

I'd advise giving this one a wide berth............
on 26 July 2009
In my view, this is a good quality Study Guide. It lacks waffle, and, moves along at a good pace. The 'Do I Know this Already?' tests at the beginning of each chapter help you focus your efforts on weak areas, and, the written review questions at the end of each chapter really test your understanding of the topic.

Several reviewers have stated that the book did not cover all exam requirements, in my opinion, this is not the case. I do not recall getting an exam question that was not covered somewhere in the book.

In summary, I would recommend this Study Guide, however, I would warn the uninitiated that the CCNP exams are demanding, so make sure you know your stuff. Good Luck!
on 23 May 2008
Having recently passed this exam, this book was my main study material. The book lacks enough detail regarding the wireless topic, which I was aware of beforehand and so used the cisco website to try and get a little more info. It is poorly written in places and can make contradictory statements. The STP and redundancy chapters were very good. All negative comments aside, this will get you 85 percent of the way there
on 26 November 2008
This book isn't too bad, I've not tried any other BCMSN books, but it was enough to get by through the exam first time. L2 stuff isn't my favourite subject anyway, but the wireless side was pretty indepth. Cisco books aren't designed to be fun and are proper text book stuff so it's not as entertaining as some books, but does it need to be?
on 29 November 2009
I fully recommend this book before taking the exam the cd that comes with the book is great for practising the questions along with the labs testlets and drag and drop questions.
The book is structured in such a way that you are not going over subjects you know already it helps you gauge the knowledge you already have and talors the book to the subjects you require
an absolute buy before taking the exam
on 4 October 2009
Great content and explanations of the technology.
Don't be fooled though into thinking that you can pass the Cisco BCMSN exam just by thoroughly reading and understanding it's content and getting the included practice exam 100% correct. You do need to have command line hands on experience, and practice with a 3rd party exam practice product to have a realistic chance of passing with a good mark.
on 26 January 2008
This book misses key exam material which is included in the new BCMSN exam. Rather naively I waited until this book was released before I attempted the BCMSN exam (nice of Cisco to upgrade the exam without any available literature). Taking the exam was a disaster, apart from a lack of preparation on my own part I remember 9-10 questions coming up which are definitely not covered in this book. The new material in the revamped exam is dealt with patchily and with little depth, 30 pages on voice (of 600) when probably 11 questions of the 57 in the exam were voice related, likewise for the redundancy and wireless material. I should have guessed given the CD they ship with the book belongs to the old exam. To those taking the exam the pass mark was 804 (of 1000)
- I scraped a disappointing 720.
on 10 February 2009
This book is a must for those budding network engineers who, like myself, are studying to upgrade their CCNA to CCNP. The book is concise, well written, has excellent Q&A sections and chapter summaries and is an all around great exam preparation tool. Definitely one of the better books out there!!!