5.0 out of 5 stars Understand this wonderful play like never before!
Published 16 months ago by Dero

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty book, but just gives me headache reading it
Im not going to talk about the storyline, I havent finished reading it but I heard it's one of the best comedies.

Im going to talk about the publisher and how they stamp this book.
This is the 1st time I bought a book from this publisher and i am sooooo dissapointed.

Published 21 months ago by mamma di giuseppe

5.0 out of 5 stars Understand this wonderful play like never before!, 30 July 2013
Dero (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Fear: Midsummer Night Dream (Sparknotes No Fear Shakespeare) (Paperback)
Having studied this play many years ago at O Level, all I can say is that I wish this book had existed then. The "translation" is printed directly opposite the original text and makes straight reading of the play very easy indeed - no more turning to the back of the book for notes, or constantly referring to footnotes. Of course, if you're studying the play in depth you'll need much more guidance on Shakespeare's subtleties, double meanings, use of prose v poetry etc. etc. However, you'll still get enjoyment and understanding from this book, giving you a solid platform on which to build. Use it alongside (say) the RSC's excellent complete works and you'll soon find yourself appreciating and understanding the Bard's language like never before.

Some may find the translation too American here and there, but "A Midsummer Night's Dreamt" is a wonderful and beautiful work and anything that makes it more accessible to a wider public gets my vote.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect job!, 15 May 2013
Used this in a half term topic with primary children - they loved performing and understanding the translated text but having the Shakespeare alongside to dip into was perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars happy, 24 Mar 2014
It was Good condition and it was useful for why I needed it, happy with it overall and would use them again

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 14 July 2013
Perfect way to breakdown Shakespeare text and get a quick understanding of what you will be teaching, or for the kids too. Great price and well put together. Def recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 14 Jun 2013
Book came early. Good condition. An easy and simple read. Great for an overall summary. Even though you can get information online, it is easier to have it in book form!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comment on No Fear Midsummer Night Dream, 5 April 2013
I wanted a book to retrace my studies of years ago, and it was exactly what I was looking for.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty book, but just gives me headache reading it, 6 Feb 2013

Im going to talk about the publisher and how they stamp this book.

I have to admit I cant enjoy Shakespeare works without translation so I always buy the "No Fear Shakespeare" edition, but when I found this book "William Shakespeare in plain and simple english" I thought this edition might be better than the "No Fear Shakespeare" but I was wrong.

In No Fear Shakespeare books, they put the classic english on the left page, and the modern one on the right page while this book put both languages in one page...they translate one line at a time, so it's like this:
But yet you draw not iron, for my heart (classic english)
One that must not attract iron because my heart (modern english, written in italic)
Is true as steel: leave you your power to draw,
Is pure, like steel. Stop pulling me to you

But they wrote it so poorly, that even the book is big and you can write a full sentence in one line, they chose not to finish the sentence in one line...so instead of writing:
I could wear a straw colored beard, or an orange-red one,
or a darker red beard, or one as yellow as the French coin called a crown.

They wrote it like this:
I could wear a straw colored
beard, or an orange-red one, or a darker red
beard, or one as yellow as the French coin called a crown.

and dont forget they mix it with the classic english... so it became:
I will discharge it in either your straw-colour
I could wear a straw colored
beard, your orange-tawny beard, your purple-in-grain
beard, or an orange-red one, or a darker red
beard, your French-crown-colour beard, your
beard, or one as yellow as the French coin called a crown.
perfect yellow.

Dear oh dear, it only gives me headache...that's why i havent (and probably will never) finish this book....
I think i will just give it to someone and buy myself the No Fear Shakespeare edition again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 28 Oct 2014
bought to help son with gcse exam

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Oct 2014
as described. Timely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplifies matters, 19 Nov 2014
Adele Winston (Barnet, UK) - See all my reviews
Very helpful

No Fear: Midsummer Night Dream (Sparknotes No Fear Shakespeare)
No Fear: Midsummer Night Dream (Sparknotes No Fear Shakespeare) by John (ed) Crowther (Paperback - 18 Nov 2004)