5.0 out of 5 stars My Second Favourite Book on Spirituality, 25 Oct 2010
T. Young "Truth" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essence of the Upanishads (Wisdom of India) (Paperback)
I have been reading a lot on Hinduism for a while now and bought this book mainly due to his version of the The Bhagavad Gita where he was able to explain concepts in simple and understandable way for the western reader unfamiliar with Hinduism.

This book likewise was able to explain the concepts of the Upanishads in a modern way and particularly how to apply to those ideas using some great analogies.

My favourite book on spirituality is Jnana Yoga by Swami Vivekananda (also free on the net) where it described the logic behind Hinduism with the ideas of Karma, Atman, maya etc which I considered as the theory and this book is the practice.

In particular, I especially like the way he illustrated the two paths, Preya is what is pleasant and Shreya is what is beneficial and how our body is like a castle where we should be focusing on what is inside rather than chasing sensual pleasures that are on the outside. Also, the chapter of will and desire was particular inspiring towards motivating ourselves to change for the better.

All the ideas really clicked with me right away because I have come across and bought most of the Hinduism concepts already and this took my understanding to another level. I am not sure whether it would make sense to those unfamiliar with Hinduism and not sure whether it would be a good first book to buy but definitely essential for those that would like to explore Hinduism further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
Wonderful

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great author, 6 Jun 2010
H. D. Vuyk - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essence of the Upanishads (Wisdom of India) (Paperback)
Easwaran has a clear, precise, yet simple approach to Indian wisdom.

His explanations are steeped in his native up bringing but geared to western perception.

The Upanishads, considered the pinnacle of human wisdom by Schopenhauer are brought to us in an unparalleled translation and explanation. I am deeply gratefull for this book.

Hade Vuyk

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best., 26 Oct 2009
This review is from: Essence of the Upanishads (Wisdom of India) (Paperback)
This review is going to be short,if you have read Eknath Easwarans books on the Bhagavad gita, then you will not be disappointed with this one,understandable,and brilliant.

Essence of the Upanishads (Wisdom of India)
Essence of the Upanishads (Wisdom of India) by Eknath Easwaran (Paperback - 17 Sep 2009)