5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful and useful book
Published 12 months ago by Zen Lady

1.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessary
I bought this book based on Easwaran's other books, namely the Gita, Essence of the Upanishads and Passage Meditation. All three absolutely fabulous books. This book is similar in style to the Passage Meditation where it gives you practical advice on how to live your life based around the use of the mantram.

However, if you have the Passage Meditation, The...
Published on 4 Mar 2011 by T. Young

1.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessary, 4 Mar 2011
T. Young "Truth" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mantram Handbook: A Practical Guide to Choosing Your Mantram and Calming Your Mind (Essential Easwaran Library) (Paperback)

However, if you have the Passage Meditation, The Mantram Handbook pretty much regurgitates a lot of the same advice and even include many of the exact anecdotes used when making his point.

Off the top of my head, the only thing new I learnt from this was the mantram - 'My God and my all'. A mantram used by St Francis of Assisi and which I choose to use myself but not described in the Passage Meditation. That is it. And even then, I knew that already from the Blue Mountain Website. Very disappointed and a waste of money.

I guess another thing is that I didn't need to be sold on the usefulness of a mantram so large part of the book where Easwaran was trying to convince the readers were useless to me. For those religious, it works like a short prayer to God drawing mana from heaven. For the atheists, it works psychologically like Pavlov's classical conditioning where the mantram fixed your brain to snap back to its optimal state. Not sure the exact science but it sure works never the less and I expect most with a few practise would feel the benefits immediately so not bother needing much convincing anyway.

Without The Passage Meditation, I might give this a three or four stars. But the fact is that there isn't a need to have a whole book describing this one simple concept of the mantram. Just repeat it when you can and that is it until it is running subconsciously automatically. Sorted.

I would highly recommend skipping this completely and go for the The Passage Meditation instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful and useful book, 18 Sep 2013
This was originally published in 1978 and was the first book written by Eknath Easwaran that I read. I still fondly remember picking it up in a well known London booksellers and being immediately fascinated as it had a true ring of authenticity. I knew almost nothing about the use of mantrams and it contained everything I needed to know, as well as a fair bit about the way our mind can give us the run around, all told in a humorous and easy to read style for what could be seen as a 'serious' subject. Several years later I had the great blessing of receiving the same mantram that I had been using based on Easwaran's recommendations (if pronounced somewhat differently) from one of the great spiritual teachers of our time, Mata Amritanandamayi (Amma), on her visit to London in 1992. The use of a mantram is very helpful and highly recommended by Amma, as well as Easwaran. As a Zen practitioner, I tend to use mindfulness as a first choice as mantram repetition is not used in that tradition. However, I am deeply drawn to mantram use and I often repeat it in times of difficulty and restlessness of mind. This book is highly recommended for anyone who is interested in experimenting with controlling their mind, whether of religious persuasion or not.