5.0 out of 5 stars A must read
I'm buying this as I'll soon have to give the library copy back! The library copy is ISBN 0-14-019008-2 which I hope is an older edition of the same text.

Published on 4 July 2006 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars So it's all our own fault is it. What do they suppose a baby has done??
I parted company from this book when it declared that karma is the result of some thought or action of our own. Presumably this is meant to include afflictions such as disability or the murder of a child. What on earth could a baby have ever done? Oh sorry, of course, it was all done in a previous life - albeit by a different personality. This doesn't wash with me...
Published 7 months ago by Diane, Northern Ireland

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 4 July 2006

Arjuna asks questions that I think a lot of us do end up asking. The responses and Arjuna's followup questions are quite inspirational. Having Arjuna as a soldier makes things even more interesting. The soldier must deal with the moral questions of a job which involves killing.

I don't know whether I found this easier to read because I'd already learned a lot about the philosophy of yoga before I read it. A lot of yoga texts refer back to this, and for a yogi I think it is great to go back to the beginning and the original meanings of why we're doing all this. Eknath's text does introduce the concepts incredibly well, so the book should be able to stand out on its own without previous knowledge.

It also puts the different paths into perspective. Eknath's discussion covers other philosophies including Christianity in relation to this and allows you to see how much they all have in common.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and helpful, 26 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Bhagavad Gita (Classic of Indian Spirituality) (Paperback)
I'm studying to be a yoga teacher and I found this translation of the Bhagavad Gita very helpful due to the useful commentary that precedes each chapter.

4.0 out of 5 stars GITA FOR MODERN TIME, 18 Nov 2009
Easy to understand with clear cut narration and in simple language. A great philosophy in a nutcell for a way of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give it 10 Stars !!, 10 Aug 2010
If you have the chance to read only one book in your life, this should be the one you pick.
Just reading 2 pages from the beginning gives one a fresh outlook. Cannot recommend enough. Buy one today.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most important books I am going to read in my lifetime., 3 Sep 2008
T. Young "Truth" (London) - See all my reviews
This version is very readable, short and simple yet packed with concepts. You have to read this! There is a reason why this version is the most popular one especially for someone like me who doesn't know much on Hinduism.

I am looking to buy other versions now to understand this great work.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice easy translation of an Indian Classic, 27 May 2011
This book is such a pleasure to read. But more specifically this translation was easy to follow and so insightful. It was such a delight i went on to by his translation of the Upanishads with hope that this too will be enjoyable to read. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bhagavid Gita Eknath Easwaren, 1 Dec 2012
Mrs. Joan Archer (cornwall england) - See all my reviews
I have only just begun this book but to date if fulfills my expectations. Eknath Easwaran is a beautiful writer, I am familiar with a lot of his work.I have attempted to read other translations of the Gita and have found it difficult but this one presents the work in a style that will be easily undersood by Western readers. If you are interested in the Gita - buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Jai Sri Krishna!, 23 Sep 2013
craig (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
An excellent, must-read for anyone interested in eastern religions.

By far the best 'holy' text I have read. Not one single hint at aggression or intolerance, just sound advice for anyone trying to understand 'the distinctly other' and incorporate it into their lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Student, 11 Jan 2010
A small easy to read introduction to Bhagavad Gita, good expainations and you can dip in and out of the book

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourate translation. lovely!!!!!!, 25 Oct 2013
Beautiful, dazzling and timeless. Bhagavad Gita will survive as long as we philosophise about this life and death.

No doubt this is one of religions best kept secrets. Stephen Hawking recently pronounced philosophy dead. Well he didn't come across the Gita!

Philosophy isn't dead and neither is the Spirit, on the contrary, she is only hidden away! I opened this book and there she was!!

I have just finished reading it, you see, and what I have just read is, if not genius, then a verisimilitude of genius!

The Gita is the only book I have ever read that explains reincarnation! Seriously, why isn't it more well known? Science won't get us there, philosophy is also a contender.

Eknath Easwaran's translation and commentary is excellent and lodges the 3000 years old concepts with our modern science. It is all in here and so the coming
critique of science will be a mind bender and will have Richard Dawkins ducking for cover!

They should be teaching this at school! Epichol and an epiphany are strong enough words, so ill use them!

A lovely read!

The Bhagavad Gita (Classic of Indian Spirituality)
The Bhagavad Gita (Classic of Indian Spirituality) by Eknath Easwaran (Paperback - 30 Jun 2007)