5.0 out of 5 stars Another Vincenzi delight
As always with Penny Vincenzi's books, I bought and devoured the hardback the moment it hit the shelves.
A fat delightful and utterly compelling read, following on from her last novel, No Angel, and developing the stories of the characters who came alive on the page the last time.
Celia is as dreadful as ever, Michael as long suffering and LM as wise. The...
Published on 4 Oct 2001 by Booklover

3.0 out of 5 stars Something missing
Published on 25 May 2009 by Andrea Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Something missing, 25 May 2009
I believe I will upset a fair few Penny Vincenzi fans here: I have just finished the second book in the trilogy ("Something Dangerous") and to my surprise and slight disappointment I have to disagree with the majority of reviewers of this book who have given it five stars. I did not think this was quite up to the excellent standard of "No Angel", the first book in the trilogy, which I read immediately before starting this one.

Whilst "Something Dangerous" is on the whole a good read and much happens to keep the interest of the reader, there are some parts where I felt slightly let down. Although the description of the second World War was good some parts were, in my opinion, dragged out. It was as though the author was using her research on the war to pad out the book a little.

Towards the end, the story was rushed. I am talking specifically about Barty here. Without wishing to ruin the story for anyone who has not yet read the book, I think that her change in status felt very sudden - and given that she is key character, I think a little more thought here would have been nice, especially as the author had 722 pages in which to develop this! Also, more significantly, I didn't particularly like Barty as I approached the end of the book. I think she seemed a little too superior and ungrateful to the family who had raised her and given her so many opportunities in life. The fact that I have taken a slight dislike to her is not such a good sign as I look at the third book 'Into Temptation' which is still on my shelf awaiting to be read', as I understand she is central to this book also.

Despite this book's faults, I am looking forward to reading the third novel because I still admire Penny Vincenzi's style of writing in general, however I think I will take a break from the trilogy and read a few other books before embarking on the final book to avoid Lytton overload!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Vincenzi delight, 4 Oct 2001
Booklover (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Celia is as dreadful as ever, Michael as long suffering and LM as wise. The social and political climate of the time are brilliantly evoked and skilfully used as the backdrop for the usual page-turning, compulsive plot.
It really isn't wise to start reading this if you have things you must do, as I found I resented every moment spent away from it until I had finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 30 Aug 2002
By A Customer
This must be one of the most un-put-downable books I have ever read. The stories of the individual characters made some of the most compelling reading I have ever experienced in this type of book. Penny Vincenzi made them and the huge problems they faced so totally believable. So many books these days attract such hype and praise and I've been disappointed with other best-sellers. But certainly not this one. I'd give it more stars if I could!! It really was a fantastic read and I can't wait to read the final title in the trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best ever by ms vincenzi !, 6 May 2002
By A Customer
The best ever yet by Ms Vincenzi!!
I was hooked from the first page to the last. The Lytton twins come of age in the first chapter, but do not truly come of age until the last. I found their journey through Londons' society to occupied France both touching and shocking. the author writes of the emotional struggles and those of their families in such an absorbing manner that I read over 900 pages in four days (I was on holiday!). I truly hope that Ms Vincenci is planning a sequel as the last sentence in the book is..."My God, said Sebastian,clearly this story is far from over"

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as superb as "No Angel" but still marvellous reading!, 18 Feb 2008
The second book in the trilogy about the Lytton family is yet another wonderful achievement by Penny Vincenzi, as we follow the family through the frivolous thirties and WWII.

The war proves an enormous test for the younger generation Lyttons and shows them as individuals made of quite sterner stuff than the slightly spoilt, priveleged youngsters we are first introduced to.

As all over England the women take over when the men go to war, so also do Lady Celia and her sister in law LM take charge at Lyttons. Just as they did, in fact, twenty years earlier during WWI.

The book takes us from London to Paris and New York. Destinies are met, lives changed and the young generation leave their carefree youth behind them forever.

There is one thing that bothered me a bit about this book, the relationship - or rather the lack of it - between Lady Celia and her ex-lover, the handsome author Sebastian. I think that after the way their love affair was presented in "No Angel", as "the love of a lifetime", their almost pragmatic friendship throughout this book did not quite ring through. Sebastian's marriage to Pandora, a woman he loves desperately and grieves for the rest of his life when she dies in childbirth, further emphasizes the disaccordance I felt with that whole situation.
I have still to read "Into Temptation". Perhaps some enlightment is offered there!

"Something Dangerous" was not quite as suberb as "No Angel", but still marvellous reading which kept me awake late into the night.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 14 Feb 2007
M. Lugg "bookworm" (Helston, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having devoured No Angel I was delighted to read Something Dangerous and it did not disappoint. I thought that it may not live up to No Angel, it was a little different but still a brilliant book and I would definitely recommend it. I have Into Temptation to read but I'm nearly afraid to start it as I know that when it is finished I will have to say goodbye to the Lytton family. Something Dangerous is a really engrossing and entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Dangerous, 22 Oct 2002
Helen Viollet (Jacksonville, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
"A total Vincenzi junkie", I supply many friends in America with her wonderful yarns. A recently hooked Bostonian buddy had this to say in a recent e-mail after I sent her "Something Dangerous'along with "The Dilemma", ...........
Now....about Penny Vicenzi....the thing I don't like about her books is
that when I start one I do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE until I finish
reading it. After a few days the house looks trashed and I lie on the
couch, sit on my chair, sit on the potty, sit at the dining room table -
reading the ENTIRE time. I take the book in the bathroom, in the
bedroom, out on the balcony, etc. Her books are extremely addictive and
I have LOVED the two I have finished. I will mail the latest one this
week.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely family saga...., 31 July 2014
Continuing the family saga of the Lytton family and their publishing empire of the same name. Following their individual lives through their many trials and tribulations (well what can you expect from a Vinzeni book?), two world wars, the depression there-after and the births and deaths of a few which over shadows them all, no-one comes away unscathed.

At the start of the book, Ms Vincenzi says that she had all three books in mind for a long time and to put this tale together with all the varying characters in their different roles is simply amazing. Lady Celia Lytton, the matriarch of the story has many secrets up her sleeve which are very intriguing, I wont spoil the book and tell you what they are. Suffice to say, I did guess a couple but there were some that I didn't see coming.

I enjoyed getting in to the characters, learning their strengths and weaknesses, getting angry with them when they were down right selfish and nasty, mourning with them when they lost some-one close, crying with them when all seemed lost and felt sorry most of all for Barty, who despite all her hard work was still not considered a 'Lytton' in the full sense of the word and forced to take second place once again. However good things are on the horizon for her and we see her character develop into a major role in the publishing world at last.

A delightful tale if you can manage it at nearly 800 pages but well worth the effort.

Well done Penny, you certainly kept me entertained and I am pleased to be able to recommend it to other readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Continuation of the Lytton Family Saga, 23 Oct 2001
I could not stop turning the pages of "No Angel" and the second book in this trilogy is just as fantastic. The first chapter sucked you immediately back in to the power of Celia, the kindness of Wol, and the whole Lytton family. I cried with Sebastian over Pandora but yet found myself yelling out loud about how cruel he was treating Izzie. I felt so scared for Adele on her way back from Paris, Venetia I kept saying tell Boy now about the baby so he has something to live for whilst fighting in the war. Kit (what a twist). Barty so confident but yet so vulnerable to the family wishes. I really like the way the story has continued with Laurence, Robert, Maud and the Brewers over in New York. This is a book in which when you read it you honestly believe you are there in the moment with the characters they are so well written and alive. They are your friends and family. I cannot wait for the final book but yet I am sure I will be sad that it will come to an end. Great Great Great read!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY UNPUTDOWNABLE!!, 13 Sep 2005
I had bought this book to read on holiday. Started it on the coach trip from Bury St Edmunds to Alassio in Italy. Simply couldn't put it down - didn't want the journey to end at all. Penny Vincenzi has the ability to make you involved in the story and characters right from the start. Have now got to go and find Parts 1 and 3 of the Trilogy! Marvellous

Something Dangerous
Something Dangerous by Penny Vincenzi (Hardcover - 23 Sep 2004)
Used & New from: £3.11