on 17 November 2011
I read this book in the aftermath of a particularly bad deadline (4 essays due in on the same day) i'd lived souly off toast had 8 hours sleep in the last 3 days; i realised i needed help. At school my procrastination had been bad, and at university, it got to the point where i was finishing essays 15 minutes before the deadline. even starting a presentation at 11pm, when i had to present it at 9am... when i first opened 'the now habit' my self-esteem was at an all time low. When i read the page describing all the characteristics of a procrastinator it was describing everything i hated about myself, and i'm not too proud to admit that i cried. This book finally gives a procrastinator the answers they are looking for. it doesn't tell you to plan and prioritise, but instead allows you to explore your own reasons for procrastinating, and gives you mechanisms to find other ways of coping with this. if you're looking at this book, you probably accept that you need help. be assured; you will get it.
on 12 October 2013
Reading this has been an eye-opening experience for me. I am usually wary of self-help books which invariably expound trite psychobabble involving mantras and visualisation exercises that are of no earthly use if you're stuck and dithering - I can tell myself I'm successful and fabulous until I'm blue in the face but there's that nasty little voice underneath saying, 'Erm, I don't think so, loser!'

This book addresses the reasons for procrastination and provides practical solutions for ending that mind-numbing state. I've already incorporated a few of Neil Fiore's suggestions and have found them incredibly useful, especially the advice to work no more than 20 hours a week - at first I balked at this because it didn't seem much but, really, I've achieved so much more by adhering to this one piece of advice over the past month than I've achieved in the preceding 6 months.

Highly recommended.
on 6 April 2009
This is not a covert plug for the book as I was asked for this review under Amazon's new system. Overall I'm quite pleased with the book; I like the emphasis it puts on motivating yourself positively by planning your 'play time' in advance. This makes perfect sense to me and I'm already seeing a difference with my self-discipline. I think that perhaps the book repeats itself / waffles a little bit (that's the only reason I took one star off), but on the whole it's a cheap and really useful book.
on 14 November 2012
I've never reviewed on Amazon before but felt compelled to this time, because if there are people like me out there who are desperate to sort themselves out, they should know this book is a good one! I'm sure there are others but I saw this one mentioned a few times elsewhere and indeed it's really worked for me (I've been a terrible procrastinator my whole life and having gone self-employed I needed some help). All the reasons Fiore gives for it are spot on (fear of failure, perfectionism etc.) and his advice is worth believing as he's (supposedly) coached hundreds of people and students with the problem. I quite wanted it to be more 'here's the plan: 1. do this, 2. do that etc.' but instead he talks lots and you're left to put it together yourself. But I took his suggestion of working no more than 5 hours/day or 20 hours/week and it's been so effective, I find myself sorting out other stuff in the evening like the redecorating. He also suggests working for a minimum of 30 minutes before a break, but I adapted it to a minimum of 40 minutes, and if I feel like I can keep working, much the better as then I might finish my 5 hours earlier that day.

Just to add - 5 hours might not sound like a lot but that's 5 hours of pure work - no internet, no making tea, nothing else. I worked in offices for years and I do more focussed work in 5 hours now than I did in 8 then.
on 11 October 2009
I have always had a major problem with procrastination which has caused endless problems in my years at uni as a student and then in my working life. I have never understood why I have had such a problem but this book explains it in simple terms and gives practical advice which really works.

It has reminded me of the advice which a tutor at uni gave me about exam revision.I thought his advice was silly. My method was to wake up in the morning thinking that I would do 16 hours of solid revision. By the end of the day I would have distracted myself many times and I would have achieved about 5 hours of revision. My tutor advised me to revise in the morning and take the afternoon off and then revise in the evening.It seemed like madness. When I tried putting his advice into practise it actually worked. I would revise efficiently in the morning then take the afternoon off and enjoy myself and then I would happily start revising in the evening and manage 3 or 4 hours of revision. So that was about 9 hours of productive revision. This advice got me through my exams.

The advice in this book is more geared towards students and the self-employed who have control over the way they work. You wouldn't be able to practise some of the techniques with a boss looking over your shoulder.In spite of this it would be a useful book for any procrastinator.

I would also recommend the book 'Getting Things Done'by David Allen which was helpful in getting me organised but the author of 'Getting things Done' admits that he has no technique for overcoming procrastination just a method to make it easier to plan what you need to do and to keep track of it. If you combine the advice from these two books then your life will become far more productive. I am living proof of this.
on 23 August 2007
The Now Habit is the best book on procrastination. It gives tools to attack the procrastination habit; more important, it asks you to schedule time for play (not just work) in your calendar. This, the author says, is very important. And then you are asked to stick to the schedule of play. Having this guilt free time for play frees up our mind to give quality time to 'work' part of our life. I have found the advice on the mark and very helpful. There are many more important nuggets of information like Reverse Calendar, 3D view of work, etc. which are also very helpful. One of the must read books definitely.
on 12 October 2011
This is the first Self Help book I have been able to read all the way through. As a procrastinator and a perfectionist myself, it really hit the mark! The most important lesson I learnt was that everything is a choice - you don't have to think "I must do this" or "I have to do this". You simply change your thinking to "I choose to do this, as it is preferable to the consequences of not doing it" It is a very simple change of thinking, but it works. The book basically looks at the reasons why we procrastinate and gives the reader very useful tips to overcome these habits. It also helps you to organise you day ensuring you alway include 'guilt free play' which ensures you always have something to look forward to! Since reading the book, I am more focused, more organised and happier to start tasks (which has ultimately leads to completion of the task). My self esteem has increased too! I would definitely recommend this book.
on 5 February 2008
This is a classic, in my book...There are certain self help books that you know are the starting point for every new one that is written and this is one of them. The author begins that procrastination is not a disease, but a defense mechanism...By understanding the process of procratination, one is much more likely to work through comfortably rather than white knuckling it through "willpower". The techniques the author outlines are easily understood and put into practice almost immediately and they are, all in all, painless...I say, let the next habit you pick up be THE NOW HABIT!
on 31 August 2011
Firstly I would like to say that I not a employee of Neil Fiore or are affliated with any of his businesses, but this is one of the best books I have ever read in the self help genre.

I have read many self-help books about procrastination & worry and they always had the same message: 'if you organise yourself better and work harder, you will reach your goals'. But even a 12 year old understands that logic, and many times (as we have seen when we set New Years Resolutions), this way of thinking often leads to frustration and apathy.

I really don't want to spoil it for you but what Neil Fiore with this book is turn this conventional logic on it's head - he states that we should learn to fit our work around our leisure time rather than the conventional wisdom of 'grinding at the millstone' and IT WORKS!!!!!!!

As I run a business in my spare time, I have sometimes found it hard to focus on what is really important, avoiding my big tasks. What this book shows you is WHY you avoid these tasks and gives simple and more importantly practical advice on how over come your fears of work and for me it's already had an instant effect!!!!

A note of caution: some of the tasks like work for 30 minutes and then take a break may not be practical in the office environment but for people that run businesses, oversee projects and creatives will find this right up their street!

I don't normally do reviews but I have to say if you want to be more productive and have a better quality of life then do not hesitate to pick this up!!!!

You will not regret it!!!
on 22 January 2011
The topic of procrastination is a topic issue that affects many and this book can guide and help in understanding and overcoming procrastination to be more productive on a daily basis. The first chapter, Why we procrastinate?, explains well how procrastination can affect self-esteem including critiquing over procrastination and the link between procrastination and fear of failure, where as chapter 2, explains how a person procrastinates, with good lifestyle examples and the steps that can be taken to step out of procrastination.

The book follows on with chapter 3, How to talk to yourself, explaining how the language used can affect procrastination habits, with chapter 4 concentrated on how to live a guilt-free life(i.e. Not putting the things off that we want to do without feeling guilty), an issue that can affect those that are busy and have responsibility towards others...), which plays a major part in life and work.

Chapter 5, Overcoming blocks to action and chapter6, The unschedule, gives ways of improving procrastination habits and overcoming obstacles that allows procrastination to affect our way of life. Chapter 7, Working in the flow state includes focus and relaxation techniques of viewing exercises and tasks, with chapter 8, fine-tuning your progress, relating to setbacks and failures when attempting to combat procrastination and concentration techniques. The last chapter, The procrastination in your life is an overview of the many topics and issues discussed in the book, and my overall view is that this book can guide and help in understanding and tackling procrastination.