5.0 out of 5 stars Balancing between Work and Play is the key
Published on 23 Aug 2007 by Ashok A

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Theories, Long-Winded Explanations
Fiore has compiled some useful and interesting insights into why people procrastinate. The strategies suggested initially seem obvious and overly simplistic, but they prove surprisingly valuable when actually instituted. I think this book would serve many a procrastinator well in this regard.

What may frustrate the more critical-minded reader, however, is...
Published 8 months ago by Addicted

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Balancing between Work and Play is the key, 23 Aug 2007
Ashok A (Hyderabad, India) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-free Play (Paperback)
The Now Habit is the best book on procrastination. It gives tools to attack the procrastination habit; more important, it asks you to schedule time for play (not just work) in your calendar. This, the author says, is very important. And then you are asked to stick to the schedule of play. Having this guilt free time for play frees up our mind to give quality time to 'work' part of our life. I have found the advice on the mark and very helpful. There are many more important nuggets of information like Reverse Calendar, 3D view of work, etc. which are also very helpful. One of the must read books definitely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 5 Feb 2008
MayGoodComeToUs (Rome, Lazio, ITALY) - See all my reviews
This is a classic, in my book...There are certain self help books that you know are the starting point for every new one that is written and this is one of them. The author begins that procrastination is not a disease, but a defense mechanism...By understanding the process of procratination, one is much more likely to work through comfortably rather than white knuckling it through "willpower". The techniques the author outlines are easily understood and put into practice almost immediately and they are, all in all, painless...I say, let the next habit you pick up be THE NOW HABIT!

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the book you're looking for!, 17 Nov 2011
Louise .H. (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I read this book in the aftermath of a particularly bad deadline (4 essays due in on the same day) i'd lived souly off toast had 8 hours sleep in the last 3 days; i realised i needed help. At school my procrastination had been bad, and at university, it got to the point where i was finishing essays 15 minutes before the deadline. even starting a presentation at 11pm, when i had to present it at 9am... when i first opened 'the now habit' my self-esteem was at an all time low. When i read the page describing all the characteristics of a procrastinator it was describing everything i hated about myself, and i'm not too proud to admit that i cried. This book finally gives a procrastinator the answers they are looking for. it doesn't tell you to plan and prioritise, but instead allows you to explore your own reasons for procrastinating, and gives you mechanisms to find other ways of coping with this. if you're looking at this book, you probably accept that you need help. be assured; you will get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful book, 6 April 2009
This is not a covert plug for the book as I was asked for this review under Amazon's new system. Overall I'm quite pleased with the book; I like the emphasis it puts on motivating yourself positively by planning your 'play time' in advance. This makes perfect sense to me and I'm already seeing a difference with my self-discipline. I think that perhaps the book repeats itself / waffles a little bit (that's the only reason I took one star off), but on the whole it's a cheap and really useful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The World's Worst, 12 Oct 2013
M. Brown (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
Reading this has been an eye-opening experience for me. I am usually wary of self-help books which invariably expound trite psychobabble involving mantras and visualisation exercises that are of no earthly use if you're stuck and dithering - I can tell myself I'm successful and fabulous until I'm blue in the face but there's that nasty little voice underneath saying, 'Erm, I don't think so, loser!'

This book addresses the reasons for procrastination and provides practical solutions for ending that mind-numbing state. I've already incorporated a few of Neil Fiore's suggestions and have found them incredibly useful, especially the advice to work no more than 20 hours a week - at first I balked at this because it didn't seem much but, really, I've achieved so much more by adhering to this one piece of advice over the past month than I've achieved in the preceding 6 months.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent book, 11 Oct 2009
I have always had a major problem with procrastination which has caused endless problems in my years at uni as a student and then in my working life. I have never understood why I have had such a problem but this book explains it in simple terms and gives practical advice which really works.

It has reminded me of the advice which a tutor at uni gave me about exam revision.I thought his advice was silly. My method was to wake up in the morning thinking that I would do 16 hours of solid revision. By the end of the day I would have distracted myself many times and I would have achieved about 5 hours of revision. My tutor advised me to revise in the morning and take the afternoon off and then revise in the evening.It seemed like madness. When I tried putting his advice into practise it actually worked. I would revise efficiently in the morning then take the afternoon off and enjoy myself and then I would happily start revising in the evening and manage 3 or 4 hours of revision. So that was about 9 hours of productive revision. This advice got me through my exams.

The advice in this book is more geared towards students and the self-employed who have control over the way they work. You wouldn't be able to practise some of the techniques with a boss looking over your shoulder.In spite of this it would be a useful book for any procrastinator.

I would also recommend the book 'Getting Things Done'by David Allen which was helpful in getting me organised but the author of 'Getting things Done' admits that he has no technique for overcoming procrastination just a method to make it easier to plan what you need to do and to keep track of it. If you combine the advice from these two books then your life will become far more productive. I am living proof of this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Theories, Long-Winded Explanations, 22 April 2014

What may frustrate the more critical-minded reader, however, is Fiore's narrative style. The points and strategies are belaboured. In order to get to the meat of the book, one must wade through endless anecdotes about Fran, Jane, Martha, Frank, Carlos ... Fiore seems to have an abundant supply of former clients whose minutely detailed experiences serve to illustrate each new point the author makes.

Instead of concentrating on Fiore's theory, I found myself longing for the book to end. This was a pity. I think the same book over half the length would be a punchy read destined to change many a procrastinator's life. As it stands, the average procrastinator may struggle to get through more than twenty pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breakthrough book for me, 31 Mar 2014
Paul Taylor (West of England, UK) - See all my reviews
I read this as I was working through a period of reactive depression, due to overwhelming pressure on both the work and the home fronts. I reached a point where I just couldn't focus on work, which meant that it kept piling up and I was getting nowhere plus sinking deeper every day. I bought this about halfway through my recovery, which took several months including time off and also seeing a counsellor on a regular basis. The central theme of this book resonated very strongly with me, in that I was always looking to finish, to be perfect, to complete... when actually that was just putting more pressure on me and actively preventing me from even getting started.

It wasn't singlehandedly responsible for my recovery, but it definitely helped. I would say it's definitely one to read if you're slowly sinking and unable to focus. If you take it on board before the crisis, you might avoid one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and effective, 4 Mar 2013
Unlike several self help books, which merely provide excellent quotes and motivational rhetoric, this one offers practical and effective ways to deal with procrastination. The only regret that I had after reading this book : Why did I not read it before ? This is one of the best books that I have ever read in my life. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on Curing Procrastination by a Mile., 23 Jan 2010
Thomas McGlinchey (Liverpool, England.) - See all my reviews
This book, which I bought some months ago,gives explainations and analogies of the reasons we delay and defer against our own interests that are not only rather original, they are perceptive, accurate and cover ground not generally touched on elsewhere. This enlightening and encouraging analysis is followed by various novel psychological and effective practical tools, which logically address and counteract our reasons for procrastination. Using the ideas from the book, I have now completed,or made a good start on,a range of issues and projects at work and at home that I have put off, to my shame, for years, in some instances. I cannot praise this book highly enough and rate it as the most effective and practical self-development book I have ever purchased. Thanks to the Unschedule approach, I am making more constructive use of my leisure time as well. Do yourself a big favour and don't put off buying this book. No, you don't need to think about it, just read the other reviews and get the order in. Tom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›