5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Artist's Way?
Published on 27 Mar. 2008 by A Painter from the UK

3.0 out of 5 stars A light version of The Artist's Way
If I'd not read and studied The Artist's Way and The Vein of Gold I would've given this book 5 stars. Even if the book is very good I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't as good as Cameron previous books.

Published on 14 Dec. 2009 by Lou Ice

3.0 out of 5 stars A light version of The Artist's Way, 14 Dec. 2009

Walking in this World feels like a repetition and a poor copy of The Artist's Way. The exercises are not as many and not as time-consuming as the ones in previous books. It's a light version and it's fine if you want to re-connect with your creativity and spirituality. For me it was perfect as I've been quite busy this year and it's been good going through a chapter now and again to help me get back on track.

Funnily enough each chapter has dealt with something I really needed to work on at that very moment. It's good with the constant reminders of claiming your right to solitude and support and also being protective of your work without isolating yourself totally.

Even if this book is more "passive" than The Artist's Way and Vein of Gold the essays are still well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Artist's Way?, 27 Mar. 2008
I read this book a long time ago but I do recall that I found it more to my taste than The Artist's Way (although I also found The Artist's Way useful at the time). I'm writing this review mostly to balance another reviewer's very negative 1 star rating. While Walking in this World did repeat some of what was in The Artist's Way I found the additional information very useful.

I won't go into specifics as it was quite a while since I read Walking in this World but I do remember being inspired by it at the time. I now find I refer more to Eric Maisel's Fearless Creating: A Step-by-step Guide to Starting and Completing Your Work of Art (Inner Work Book) but would still recommend this book if you liked Cameron's The Artist's Way and would like to read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, helpful, inspirational, 23 Mar. 2009
Shame on Mr No Name for giving a measly one star to this lovely book (if he'd like me to point him in the direction of some books which are far more deserving of the one-star treatment I'd be happy to). Yes, this is very much a sequel to the Artist's Way, but it's just as delicious, thoughtful and inspiring and it has helped me greatly in many ways. I definitely recommend it. I love Julia Cameron's work and find her approach to be truly nurturing and comforting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mining the same seam, 3 May 2006
Julia Cameron has some interesting ideas and good self-development/self-awareness exercises. However,if you have already bought one of her books, leave well alone. This book seems to be a thinly disguised reworking of The Artists Way - and thus it has less to offer the audience than the author's bank balance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful inspiration for all the would-be artists, 9 Jun. 2013
I read this book a few years ago to question what creativity meant for me as I did a lot of art in my childhood/youth but then went to a corporate career and forgot about arts. Visiting the Tate Museum in London, I saw this book in the bookshop and it suddenly felt like the book to read to revisit this forgotten part of my life. I found it great as it made me question creativity in my life, asked how my creativity was promoted when I was a child, what importance it has for me, etc. I found the book really great for people who would like to have more creativity in their lives and don't really know how to start. It is really inspirational, with great advice, quotes from famous artists and all this is very nicely worded. Thanks so much Julia! It helped me start a part time painting activity that I would never have started without this book. I found that now that I have obstacles in my everyday artistic practice I also have to read more practical books, like "Fearless Creating" by E. Maisel. However I still refer to Julia Cameron's book for inspiration!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've kept this book to hand for six years, 12 Feb. 2012
If you are an emerging creative professional, as student or even an established one who needs some pointers or reminders on how to keep going when you may face challenges or your work becomes a bit stale then I would whole heartedly reccomend this book to you. Its a wonderful book to dip in and out of when you need reassurance or just a reminder that there are many creative people experiencing exactly the same thing.

I'm not a religious person so I found some of the references to God a little unnecessary but it doesn't impose enough on the writing to put me off reading it on and off over the last six years. I am an emerging artist and writer and this book has kept me going whilst I was a Masters student, when noone was interested in my work, when my personal life stopped me from making good work, through my first exhibitions and when I was first published.

Cameron talks from the heart about her own creative journey and those around her and how as creative people, we must look after ourselves and keep our work in perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful way to help your day, 27 May 2011
Clair L. Cameron (England) - See all my reviews
I don't always follow Julia's way, but when I do I feel better for it, it's a real pick me up... If i'm having a particularly trying time and need to reconnect with my self and my art, I turn to this book.
I'm not sure about the reference to God, if we could change that one word to something less religious and more spiritual, the book would be perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to study 12 weeks, 28 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Walking in This World: The Practical Art of Creativity (Hardcover)
It is the second time I will study and follow this book
I did found it very helpful and it did some effective changes in my attitude what I can do, and how I can dare to change even my creative interests,

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a good read and worth it for the price, 18 Dec. 2014
Similar to the first book in some areas. Still a good read and worth it for the price. An inspiring authoress !

1.0 out of 5 stars boy can this woman whine! and apparantly knows all ..., 27 Feb. 2015
boy can this woman whine!and apparantly knows all there is to know about God.MOURNING pages indeed...sigh

Walking in This World: The Practical Art of Creativity
Walking in This World: The Practical Art of Creativity by Julia Cameron (Hardcover - Nov. 2002)
Used & New from: £2.52