5.0 out of 5 stars Lighten Up for Better Spiritual Connections!
Published on 31 Aug. 2004 by Donald Mitchell

1.0 out of 5 stars pointless read. same as her other books, content ...
pointless read.same as her other books,content very simular.
Published 2 months ago by Indogo beauchamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Lighten Up for Better Spiritual Connections!, 31 Aug. 2004
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: God is No Laughing Matter (Hardcover)
Ms. Cameron gives an excellent introduction to this book when she says, "You may not find this book . . . very spiritual -- but you'll probably find it spirited." She has tried to make the book "hardheaded, softhearted, and playful." For example, in one section she wonders if God likes to cha-cha. Some may find her approach irreverent, but I found it informal rather in a way that will make spirituality more accessible to those who spirits are already burdened. For me, the book was very successful and expanded my spiritual awareness.
The book is organized into a series of brief essays, sometimes combined with excellent poems, and followed with experiments, exercises and/or explorations. Each of these sections could have easily been expanded into a whole book. So there is enough material here to keep you spiritually engaged for years. I did a number of exercises and found them to be both helpful and inspiring. Many of these exercises provide ways to recapture your spirituality by better connecting to what is going on around you. As she points out, since we have left rural living, we have become disconnected from nature . . . which normally serves to keep us spiritually grounded.
Ms. Cameron has been through some pain in her life, which she shares openly. She often disputed what her teachers had to say in parochial school, and spent lots of time in the principal's office as a result. At 29, she was divorced. Now, she is a sober alcoholic. So her advice to lighten up comes from someone who knows the heavier sides of life quite well.
To me, the best part of the book is the magnificence of a single summary phrase that she embeds in every essay . . . that totally encompasses the essay. For example, she likens coming closer to God in Blind Date to having to "suit up and show up" as you would to start off a blind date. In Higher Companions she introduces you to paying attention to the reality of mirrors. In Kindness she tells you to believe in the presence of goodness. In Dope-Dealer God you are encouraged to request help. Family is expressed as through the metaphor of helping hands. Faith is overemphasized in her view. You have to choose to commit on your own. In Parent Bashing she points out that being considerate of parents means being considerate of yourself. I wrote down one or two such ideas from each essay, and will keep them with me to remind me how to rekindle my spirituality. These phrases are great gifts within a great book.
The book is neatly summarized in her final poem, Roots and Wings. She asserts that all of our various spiritual practices have more in common than we realize.
I especially enjoyed this book for exposing many of my assumptions about God and spirituality that I had never examined before. I suspect that I am one of those people who takes this whole area a little too seriously for the good of my own spirituality.
After finishing the book, I walked out to discover a magnificent sunset that pointed me in the direction home. That experience was clearly a message to me that I will heed for some time to come. As Ms. Cameron says in Conscious Contact, openness can take us where we need to go.
After you have finished this book and done its exercises, experiments and explorations, I encourage you to write an essay like one of these that expresses your inner sense of spirituality. Include your own exercises at the end. Then share what you have written with a friend. Hopefully, the friend will later do the same for you.
Have a wonderful spiritual journey!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the spiritualy serious!, 31 July 2001
By A Customer
But fun and thought provoking for the rest of us. Julia Cameron swats the backsides of fair few sacred cows, that never should have been allowed to become sacred in the first place. In a more compact form she employs the model she used in the Artists Way of a short thought provoking piece with a series of optional exercises. Most of all she has a great generosity of spirit and wishes to encourage that in others. Buy it, then buy it for all your friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbingly funny and full of truth - more please!!!, 13 July 2001
By A Customer
I recommend this book to anyone on the spiritual path, whatever form it takes. I found Julia's writing refreshingly funny. Her way of putting her thoughts down is straight forward with no fluffy new age mumbo jumbo! Who wrote the rule that the spiritual search has to be difficult and deadly serious? I'm in total agreement with Julia on this one and the answer is we did not God who ever or what ever you percieve it to be. This is a gem of a book. I have recommended it to all my friends and colleagues. Make this book your next good read!! Enjoy

1.0 out of 5 stars pointless read. same as her other books, content ..., 27 Feb. 2015
This review is from: God is No Laughing Matter (Hardcover)
pointless read.same as her other books,content very simular.

God is No Laughing Matter
God is No Laughing Matter by Julia Cameron (Hardcover - 31 Mar. 2001)
Used & New from: £0.80