on 12 August 2011
The Wikipedia article on the Contemporary English Version is very informative on the history and principles of this translation, with illustrations of translated passages. I find it good to use for children, and the text seems easy to put into drama form. The purposely simple language makes the Psalms weak - not enough synonyms are available to the translators - and I assume that this will apply to other poetry passages too. The Amazon site does not say so, but the Kindle edition is the US edition, not the anglicized one, which is a nuisance (Goliath's armour weighs 125 pounds). I found the easiest way to move about the Kindle edition was to bookmark the contents lists of the Old and New Testaments (locations 389 and 399), and the beginning of each book can then easily be found from there. So a useful translation, and for some purposes very useful, but I would not use it as my main translation.
on 27 March 2011
Christians beware! NB of Birmingham recommends a book by Jason David BeDuhn, Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament, and gives a rather unkind review of the CEV. In his book,Jason BeDuhn recommends the Jehovah's Witness translation of the Scriptures as the most accurate translation. 'Nuff said. The CEV is, in fact, a rather good modern translation of the Bible. It paraphrases the text somewhat to bring out the meaning, but there is no doubt in my mind that the translators were sincere in their efforts to be true to the original text. The CEV is not as widely read as the NIV, but is a good alternative translation for those who like to have more than one version of the Scriptures to which to refer.
on 4 December 2012
This is a very good translation which has been put together especially so that it flows well when read aloud. The Kindle version is straightforward to navigate. A good addition for Bible Study. Could be a good version to give someone who finds traditional versions difficult. I chose it because this translation is often referred to in my Bible notes/ readings and I have found it a useful alternative translation.
on 2 May 2014
Nicely packaged. Brand new easy to read bible. Loving the translation and study helps. A good item and definitely the most important book on the planet to read!!!!!
on 21 June 2014
Bought as a gift for an adult being baptised, this bible is easy to read and understand and we hope he gets many happy hours reading this excellent bible
on 15 October 2009
This Bible is perfect for me. Easy to read, easy to hold, its a pleasure to read. I can't fault it. Excellent value too. I can't think of a way to improve it. Very pleased.
on 24 April 2013
great easy read bible have found it very useful and would recommend it for any body wanting to use and understand.
on 25 September 2013
The downside of cheap Bibles is that the paper and typeface are not terribly attractive. It does what it says on the box - it is the CEV (American version, without Apocrypha), but the lower quality paper could be off-putting to some of the young people we plan to use these Bibles with.
on 2 November 2013
I find it comfortable to hold. The clear printing makes it easy to read even with my troublesome eyesight.
It is well set out, encouraging me not only to start reading but to also to continue even beyond my intended portion.
on 20 June 2015
I'm totally new to reading the bible and I like reading to be of our English today. This bible is brilliant for easy understanding