5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting and family history
Published on 7 Jun 2012 by jammikins

2.0 out of 5 stars Not like my Grandmothers Knitting!!
Would have liked patterns with more substance. The sweater on the front I will most likely knit but the rest, probably not. Having said that, the dialogue was interesting, but it is an expensive way to get that one pattern!
Published 14 months ago by A pembroke fan

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting and family history, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: My Grandmother's Knitting (Hardcover)
This book may not be to everyone's taste, but as someone interested in all aspects of the subject, I loved it. Its a bit smaller than I expected, squarish A4 and about half of the book is taken up with family history, detailing how the authors interest was fostered by their amazingly creative families, with lovely little family photographs on most pages. I can remember being taught to knit by my Granny with my older sister, later she told me I was 3 at the time and its a joy to read how the skills displayed in this book have been passed down through several generations,long may that continue......

In this book there are several pairs of socks, hats , including a gorgeous Norwegian patterned babies hat,a variety gloves, a scarf and some cowls, as well as more substantial items, the jumper on the front cover which is knitted in the round from the neck down on a circular needle and several capes and shrugs.
The photography is good ,showing clear depictions of the items and the charts are also well displayed, a few patterns would be suitable for the intermediate knitter, but overall this requires you to be able to knit in the round, follow charts for fairly complicated patterns and use more than one colour.There are around 20 patterns in this book and at 7.00 I think its excellent value

2.0 out of 5 stars Not like my Grandmothers Knitting!!, 3 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but not for beginners, 25 Sep 2013
Christine (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Grandmother's Knitting (Hardcover)
I really like this book, it's a real coffee-table book for knitters.

I agree with some of the other reviews that it's not for beginners, it does assume a certain level of knowledge with much knitting in the round
There are a good mix of patterns, some quick and simple ones like gloves, some longer like the beautiful baby blanket.

It's not entirely clear from the description that a good chunk of the book is the pattern-writers' stories about knitting with their grandparents, so although the book is some 140 pages long, the first 60 or so are stories. They are interesting stories, but stories all the same, don't buy the book expecting a full 140 pages of knitting patterns.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely combination of memoir and knitting patterns, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: My Grandmother's Knitting (Hardcover)
A few projects I'd like to try (if I have the time) and a good source of inspiration - both of patterns and reminding some of us why we took up knitting in the first place

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly gorgeous book, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: My Grandmother's Knitting (Hardcover)
What can I say about this beautiful little book? It is not the largest book and does not contain a vast amount of patterns but wow, what it does contain is beautiful. There is a selectiveness to this book - it has been well thought out and relies on beauty, relevance and lovely personal writing to makes its' mark. I love this book. I would also suggest it would make a lovely gift to that knitter in your life - a little bit of history, personal stories, gorgeous patterns and a beautifully presented book.

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of nostalga, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: My Grandmother's Knitting (Hardcover)
Others have described this book to a 'T', I love it both the descriptions of family handing down skills and patterns, but also the patterns that are included (half of the book). I think that this would make a great gift for someone interested in the wider aspects of the craft and who wants to reach back in time (just a little) - most enjoyable (I learnt to knit from Grandmothersx2, mother and aunt and taught daughter, granddaughter and my niece)

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: My Grandmother's Knitting (Hardcover)
This book was bought for a present for a member of the family, looks lovely, really different. Nice patterns too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 10 May 2012
This review is from: My Grandmother's Knitting (Hardcover)
Brought the book purely for the jumper photographed on the front. There are many patterns in it that I would like to knit, well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a knitting book!, 7 Nov 2012
lovemurakami "tooty2" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: My Grandmother's Knitting (Hardcover)
If you are looking for something a little different in the world of knitting books, this maybe the one for you. My Grandmother's Knitting is not only a pattern book, but a book which helps to jolt your memory as to who set you away knitting. Larissa Brown has spoken to lots of talented knitting designers and in the first half of the book they talk about who inspired them to take up knitting. Not all of them as the book suggests say that it was their grandmother who set their knitting needles clicking! This also helps you look back at your own knitting inspiration and life.

The second half of the book is given over to patterns. There are slippers, cowls, jumpers, afghans, the list goes on, with lots of techniques to try out. I would say that some of the patterns could be managed by confident beginners and most definitely experienced knitters. Another review has mentioned the lack of alternative yarns but if you look at the yarn type and the size of needle, you should be able to work out either using the internet or a knitting technique book which will explain about the type of yarn which works with a certain size of needle.

I absolutely love this book and it would make a great gift for any knitter. Something to treasure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather frustrating...., 26 Aug 2012
Anna Clements (Hastings UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Grandmother's Knitting (Hardcover)
My Grandmother's Knitting is, without doubt, a lovely book, with really interesting chapters by 'Celeb' knitters about their early knitting days. However, as I'm not a very expert knitter, I found it very irritating that yarn equivalents weren't given in any pattern. The recommended yarn, in each case, is very specific; 'Pico Accuardi Dyeworks Marco Bambino', 'Loop d Loop by Teva Durham' etc. - but this knitter wanted to know, is that double knitting yarn? Or four-ply? or what? I felt that the pattern recommendations were great for selling particular brands of yarn, but purchasers of the book (nearly 14) should be able to choose alternatives if they wanted to.
I'm sure really experienced knitters could work out equivalents in some arcane way, but I'd have liked more generalised information to enable me to go to my local wool shop and buy there. Otherwise it all looks a rather cosy relationship between the designers and the yarn companies - and I think it should be between the designer and me, as the customer...

My Grandmother's Knitting
My Grandmother's Knitting by Larissa Brown (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2011)
9.79