5.0 out of 5 stars Only men's knitting-pattern book you'll ever need
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:32 Mins
I made this video because when I buy a book I want to know what patterns are in it. Many times I have bought a knitting book on the strength of the cover photo, only to find that the other patterns aren't to my fancy so that effectively I have just paid the book price for one pattern. I happen to like every single pattern in the book, and because...
Published on 12 Oct 2010 by H. B. Hosegoood

2.0 out of 5 stars Any reason for the sexism?
I agree with the previous reviews commenting on the sexism in the book. As well as patronising women, the book also manages to pigeon-hole men as well, by presuming that they all only want plain, unadorned knitwear. It ends up being almost an anti-handknitting book. Because, if the only option for a sweater for my 52" chest other half is something consisting of a million...
Published 22 months ago by Kate

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book!, 12 Aug 2013
Not only great patterns for men but a brilliant read too - it makes so much sense, already recommended to a friend :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful knitting, 6 Aug 2013
Amazon Customer "Tricia" (Dartford, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Have to admit that at first thought was daft but after showing husband and knitting one of the patterns find it will become the most used guide. Husband is keen to see what else I knit for him. He likes the styles. I like the well written patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man friendly patterns, 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: Knits Men Want: The 10 Rules Every Woman Should Know Before Knitting for a Man Plus the Only 10 Patterns She'll Ever Need (Stc Craft) (Paperback)
An excellent companion to Son of Stitch and Bitch if you have it.
Unlike another reviewer found it no great problem to move from Us to Uk knitting styles. The book provides basic patterns in range of sizes and for different yarns so easy to adapt eg brother who said can you knit me something like the cotton shirt I had made in Goa!
When planning knitting for this christmas I had no male relative from husband son..nephews brother on law etc who could not find a design they fancied. As they range in height from 6'7 to 5'6' and are of varying widths great to have patterns to suit all.
Some patterns start from top down ..especially useful when trying to avoid the gorilla arm look when tailoring to individuals!

The basic fingerless mitten pattern brilliant for cyclist/fisherman,snow shoveller and an extra layer for snowboarders etc and great to use up spare wool.Like all the other patterns simple design but space to add a few stitches of choice to suit yarn and recipient of the knitting.

Book has handy place to note measurements for individuals for future projects.
TIP As these are multi charts pencil in all relevant sections for the garment size you are currently knitting. Especially useful to note numbers of stitches at different stages of increasing and decreasing.

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for UK knitters, 3 Jan 2012
Beware.
This publication is written for US knitters and all patterns are not easily converted to uk. Frankly useless this side of the Atlantic

4.0 out of 5 stars Would have been 5 more me too, but...., 11 July 2010
I am struggling to remember how to read the patterns written in this format, or rather how gauge table works, I know I have it in a book somewhere.... would have been helpful if there had been a 'how to read/use' the patterns section, especially as the patterns are all very suitable for the less experienced needle clicker.

Thats the bad, now the good. I asked my 'man' which patterns he liked and he said all of them but I dont like the colour of that one (a rusty brown yarn even I know he'd dislike). I found myself nodding, agreeing and ultimately laughing outloud at all the rules and tips. I am now very concerned about the next planned 'man' project - thinks its going to become a 'woman' project.....

By the way, the book I need to find to remember how to 'do' the pattern is The Knitters's Handy Book of Patterns: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges (Interweave) which is another really useful little book, if only I could remember which bag of wool to look in first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 30 Jun 2014
Just the job for men knitting. Some great patterns and I have done some too. Clear instructions and lovely pics too.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you know a man and want to knit for him, get this book, 23 Jan 2014
Clear layout,well written and sometimes funny. Patterns are really well written and SO flexible on size and gauge. Excellent book

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 17 Oct 2013
It gives a great insight into why our fellas don't like what we want to knit them and what they do like. Every pattern is fairly plain but there is always a twist so that it gives us knitters a bit of a challenge. However a word of caution.....it's an American book and I had trouble understanding the 'gauge' and working out yarn requirements. Very important...the gauge refers to 'stitches per inch' . I've now got the yarn and will knit the baseball sweater on the cover. To be fair I think the book may not be for beginners as the patterns have minimal wording. Enjoy...even if you don't make a thing out of it, its at least a fun read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks a little confusing., 1 July 2013
Have yet to make anything as I have rather a lot on the go at the moment. The patterns look a little confusing but I am sure.once the needles are in my hands, things will start to make sense.patterns Well laid out though & I love the way each item has an anecdote
explaining the reason for the pattern design preceding it. Looking forward to getting into it properly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great styles. Great idea -, 1 April 2013
Shame the patterns do not seem to have been tested! Am I the only person to have had a problem with the cover sweater? The sleeve heads are just too long! I checked the publishers errata, although there are alterations there they have nothing to do with the major sleeve problem. I am at present redesigning the sleeve head. Fortunately I am using aran and not 4ply! This is the first pattern I have tried so I can't comment on the rest. I hope the" boyfriend knits" book is checked better than this one.