5.0 out of 5 stars Only men's knitting-pattern book you'll ever need
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:32 Mins
Published on 12 Oct 2010 by H. B. Hosegoood

2.0 out of 5 stars Any reason for the sexism?
I agree with the previous reviews commenting on the sexism in the book. As well as patronising women, the book also manages to pigeon-hole men as well, by presuming that they all only want plain, unadorned knitwear. It ends up being almost an anti-handknitting book. Because, if the only option for a sweater for my 52" chest other half is something consisting of a million...
Published 23 months ago by Kate

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Only men's knitting-pattern book you'll ever need, 12 Oct 2010
H. B. Hosegoood (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Knits Men Want: The 10 Rules Every Woman Should Know Before Knitting for a Man Plus the Only 10 Patterns She'll Ever Need (Stc Craft) (Paperback)
Length:: 3:32 Mins

I made this video because when I buy a book I want to know what patterns are in it. Many times I have bought a knitting book on the strength of the cover photo, only to find that the other patterns aren't to my fancy so that effectively I have just paid the book price for one pattern. I happen to like every single pattern in the book, and because I sometimes spin my own yarns too, the fact that the patterns are given in different gauges is ideal for me. Also having lots of different sizes and gauges means that the book won't go out of date because you don't have to worry about getting hold of a specific yarn, and you may be able to use up some of your yarn stash too. The layout is clear, the book is well written without being over wordy and the patterns are excellent. What more could you ask for? Sorry that I am a bit dithery in the video - I am not used to it - but you can get the idea.
What I didn't say in the video is that the sizes for the jumpers, hoodie and cardigan are for 40, 44, 48, 52, 56 and 60 inch chest sizes and there are 5 or more gauges for each style. The socks are for 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14+ sizes and come in 6 gauges; the gloves come in five sizes and 3 gauges, and even the hat comes in three sizes and five gauges which is very unusual and brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 3 Sep 2010
I agree with the comments already made about this book; good, workable, basic patterns in relaxed shapes that would suit most not-very-fashion-conscious men. It uses the stitch calculation method that you will find in Ann Budd's books. this makes it easy to work out the particular size you want, using the gauge that your tension swatch knits up to. The only problems with the book? The author doesn't really explain the method he is using, so when i saw a list of numbers (4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 etc) I thought I was looking at metric needle sizes. It took a while for me to realise that these were stitches per inch, which you calculate from your tension swatch. The other way I thought that the author could have improved the book is by writing a little about stitch variations, and encouraging people to try a bit of subtle, wearer-approved patterning. My other thought is that if you have already got the Ann Budd books, you don't need this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what the title says, 27 Dec 2010
I have a lot of boys and men in my family to knit for, and although they like mad coloured socks, they really do like anything else knitted to be as unassuming as possible. This is the book. The author explains what men really want you to knit for them. To most people they will find the patterns very plain even dull,but that's what boys young and old like. The author even advises on what sort of feel boys like to their clothes,this is very good advise. There is nothing so disappointing as spending weeks knitting only to find that the item you have knitted never sees the light of day.
Many reviewers dislike the way the patterns are written, as instructions are given for whatever gauge wool you have chosen. This actually is a very simple method once you start doing it, and very useful as you are not tied to any particular gauge of wool. I started on the very simple hat and was away no problem. It is a book I am sure I will use a lot, unlike so many books which look far more inspirational and yet you never get round to knitting anything from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knits I want, 6 May 2010
J. Treadwell - See all my reviews
Finally my wife has shown me real knitting patterns that I would wear rather than the fancy ideas of designers (both male and female). I am told that they are basic and uncomplicated and not really challenging for an advanced knitter but what's wrong with that? There is only one pattern that did not appeal to me in the whole book a remarkable strike rate.

If you have a guy to knit for do nothing until you have looked at this book. It might disappoint you with its plain knitting but be assured that what you produce will be worn and could really become a favourite item of clothing.

Highly recommended by a user not a knitter. My wife adds it has lots of really useful tips but I could not really comment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential book when knitting for your guy!, 6 April 2010
Andrea Black (Bournemouth, England) - See all my reviews
I first heard about this Knits Men Want when it was available for pre-order and signed up for it immediately because of the "he will actually WEAR this stuff" factor I saw in all of the patterns. When the book arrived and I had a look through I was even more pleased with myself for choosing to get this book because of the beautiful way it is all laid out, the photography which is crisp clean and wonderful to look at, and the writing which isn't just instructional but lets in a bit of humour and feeling into the book. The patterns are written out very clearly, with many different gauges catered for so I won't have to worry about doing all sorts of funky calculations which is such a relief.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone considering knitting for a guy, it will definitely help you end in success rather than just another 'back-of-the-wardrobe' sweater!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice patterns, instructions could be clearer., 16 Mar 2011
I bought this book after searching high and low for a sweater pattern for my Dad's birthday and wasn't disappointed by those on offer here. The tone is light-hearted, the photography is excellent and the patterns are relatively easy to make. My only criticism lies in the sometimes unclean instructions - the tables don't say that the gauge refers to how many stitches per inch - something essential when selling a US book in Europe as we tend to work in cm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man friendly patterns, 5 Oct 2012
An excellent companion to Son of Stitch and Bitch if you have it.
Unlike another reviewer found it no great problem to move from Us to Uk knitting styles. The book provides basic patterns in range of sizes and for different yarns so easy to adapt eg brother who said can you knit me something like the cotton shirt I had made in Goa!
When planning knitting for this christmas I had no male relative from husband son..nephews brother on law etc who could not find a design they fancied. As they range in height from 6'7 to 5'6' and are of varying widths great to have patterns to suit all.
Some patterns start from top down ..especially useful when trying to avoid the gorilla arm look when tailoring to individuals!

The basic fingerless mitten pattern brilliant for cyclist/fisherman,snow shoveller and an extra layer for snowboarders etc and great to use up spare wool.Like all the other patterns simple design but space to add a few stitches of choice to suit yarn and recipient of the knitting.

Book has handy place to note measurements for individuals for future projects.
TIP As these are multi charts pencil in all relevant sections for the garment size you are currently knitting. Especially useful to note numbers of stitches at different stages of increasing and decreasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars make things they want to wear, 27 Nov 2010
I knit a lot for the men in my life and I am fed up with trying to find patterns for jumpers especially that they would wear. Most commonly available mens patterns seem to be aimed at 80 year olds or especially in the knitting mags make the male models look as though they are waiting for the bus to the special needs day centre. This book has 10 patterns for men, jumpers, hoody, hats, socks, fingerless gloves, and a scarf, which can be made to fit anybody in any thickness of yarn and it has a hilarious dialog about what woman think and what men think. It is written by a man who teaches knitting and who seems to understand women and straight men. My husband would wear everything in the book. That is a first. It is a book you have to read to get the benefit from but it is a pleasure to do so. Another reviewer said the method of using any thickness yarn is not explained properly I would disagree, if you are an absolute beginner, if you never knit a tension square on principle, or if you are very frightened by something a bit new, maybe you might not like it but I understood it in 2 or 3 minutes. You knit your tension square, you work out the stitches per inch you decide the size you want the finished garment to be then there is a table for the yardage of wool you need and off you go. You can just pencil round the bit in each table that refers to your garment to make it clear. I would sooo recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Knits Men Really Want, 5 April 2010
H. Botje (London) - See all my reviews
I love this book. The rules are so true (and funny too), and the patterns are things 'he' would actually wear.
The pullover is my favourite but i am sure I will knit several things from this book. I like how the patterns are all written for several gauges rather than a specific yarn.

Highly recommend this book to anyone who has a man to knit for/ any male knitters.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book covers all the basics and more, 17 April 2012
If like me the men in your life mainly like plain simple knits then this book is for you. It has variations for each pattern in a very wide range of sizes. I have one man I knit for who has a 60" chest and whilst my son barely hits a 28" waist, the patterns cater for both extremes. So for me this book will be like a bible for mens knits. I can add pattern if I want as I am an experienced knitter. However if I want them to wear what I make I am better off keeping it simple. Oh forgot to say the majority of the men in my life are well over 6 foot with two reaching 6`7", this book helps to adjust length as well. Excellent book for basic patterns, oh and I loved the introductions for each pattern too, giving a little insight into how the men in our lives might look at the hand knits we make.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›