Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 April 2010
This is a departure from the previous books in that the quilts really are inspirations rather than prescriptions. Whereas the series of Rowan books describe all that's needed to make a replica quilt this book stands a little further back, it has a wonderful broader approach, you could still make a replica quilt, but it encourages you to explore your own ideas and gives you the insight and inspiration to really think and create for yourself. Yes, there's a solid generic quilt recipe but the stabilisers can come off the bike and you can move along by yourself! It's like a workshop in a book with lots of guidance and the text is really thought provoking rather than being footnotes to images of completed quilts. Some quilt books work from the finished project and show you how to do it, here you're looking at things differently, you really can create your own quilt, thinking about all the important stuff for yourself. This book's not just about making copies of beautifully photographed masterpieces, the masterpieces are your starting point.
on 19 March 2010
I love the photography in this book as well as the quilts.
I'm not likely to make one of the quilts in the fabrics shown - but the design are gorgeous and would work in other fabrics.
The instructions look clear and templates are provided although some need enlarging on a photocopier.

Not sure a complete beginer would cope as there are few diagrams but for any one who has even a basic knowledge of patchwork would manage.
Stunning book!
on 22 April 2010
This book appealed to me because it contained a variety of squares, rectangles and triangles with clear instructions and supplies for each project. I love geometric shapes, squares in particular and I am quite new to the art of patchwork.
Quite some time ago I bought a copy of "Patchwork" by K F as I was fascinated by the front cover of that book, those beautiful squares in various tones of red with occasionally a touch of green, blue, orange, yellow... I made a sample but found difficult to execute it as I had to work out the sizes of each square, and I was not always pleased with my choice of colours! However at the V&A Quilt Exhibition I discovered "Simple Shapes, Spectacular Quilts" and now I am working on the "Earthy Mitered Boxes" project with the K F fabrics suggested. As the fabrics are all matching, it produces a fantastic result.
Every now and then, in the book, you find handsome photographs of basic shapes found in nature and thus echoed in K F's projects. It is a pure delight!
on 28 April 2010
This book is quite inspirational; the usual wonderful explosion of colour one has come to expect from Kafe Fasset with wonderful colour combinations and stunning ideas. I would highly recommend this to any quilter or, of you know a quilter, it would make a great present.
on 31 March 2010
My first quilt came from Kaffe Fasset's Glorious Patchwork. I love his use of colour and simple shapes, he brings traditional quilting right up to date with his bright and adventurous fabrics.
This book is one of the best he has published in recent years. It has beautiful photography and is delightful just to browse through. There are some stunning quilts to make for both novices and experienced quilters alike. I plan to make his version of the Lone Star.
on 8 March 2010
Wow - what a truly gorgeously sumptuous delecticious cornucopia of quilts!!
Who could have thought that a quilt made out of just squares or triangles or circles etc could look so unctiously gorgeous...but they do.
Best quilt book yet from Kaffe.
Highly recommend.
on 18 August 2010
Inspiring book. Beautiful photo's, both of the quilts and of things/landscapes that can inspire quilts. Kaffe invites the reader not to make his quilts, but to alter them, play with colors and fabrics, and create your own unique quilt.
on 18 November 2010
I really love the book Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts. The color of the textils, the desings, the photos. It inspire me so much. Thank you Kaffe Fassett.
on 8 January 2012
The photographs are stunning and have inspired me to look for geometric shapes and colour in my surroundings. Kaffe is expert at pushing the boundaries of colour and several quilts are stunningly composed of colours I simply thought did not go together.
The instructions are not as clear as those in books from big Kaffe fans - Material Obsession for instance - but I believe the book is intended as inspiration rather than an exact prescription. The inspiration provided is why I have given 4 stars.
Down sides. The quantities of fabric given are not exact, so in order to make one of the quilts it would be useful to be making from a fabric stash.
A few quilts are highlighted as being suitable or not suitable for beginners, but the majority are not graded accroding to skill level.
Measurements are given in both inches and cm which is useful.
on 16 September 2011
What a lovely book , full of inspirational ideas and of course, wonderful colour that you come to expect with Kaffe Fassett. But I am having trouble in collecting suitable material in the bright colours for the designs.