5.0 out of 5 stars Unique patterns that will add to your stitch repertoire, 5 Feb. 2010
jmai (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knitted Socks East and West: 30 Designs Inspired by Japanese Stitch Patterns (Paperback)
I wanted to get a sock pattern book, and had a few choices before me and decided that this was the one. I was drawn to the unusual and almost awkward looking collection of socks in the book. There is intricate lace and cable work throughout, incorporating Japanese knitting styles normally unavailable to non-Japanese reading knitters. I consider myself an intermediate/advanced knitter and found the instructions clear - which is especially important as the author introduces a wealth of different stitch techniques. I have made three pairs so far and in two the pattern repeated over four needles which made it easy to keep track of.

The socks range from knee high to ankle using yarn weights ranging from fine to chunky. The socks themselves are also a mix of your average expected sock, toe-less manicure-socks, stirrup socks, slipper socks and dainty lacework not-so-functional socks.

Basically something for everyone! I think all the sizes are for women, but the ones that I made would have been easily adaptable for men's sizes by adding some k/p stitches between the repeats. If you're looking for unique and interesting patterns and a beautifully designed book for your library, I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 12 Nov. 2009
F. Jones (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
I had a guilty conscience about buying yet another sock book but I am so glad I did.

The author has spent years studying Japanese patterns and introduces the reader to a number of new stitches with very clear instructions. The sock patterns are very varied and original but all eminently wearable. The emphasis is on pattern, not fancy yarns and the patterns use everything from 2 ply to chunky yarn. This book wouldn't suit a complete beginner (but then there are lots of others which do) but the author does offer a range of complexities explained in the introduction to each sock. All patterns are written and charted and the photography is both beautiful and helpful in the detail it shows.

I haven't had chance to knit any of the patterns yet but they receive very positive comments from knitters on Ravelry and I can't wait to get started. Reviews on Amazon.com, from American readers, give much more information that I won't repeat here.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant result!, 8 Mar. 2010
sandikirk (somerset, uk) - See all my reviews
I ordered this book about one month ago; I am an avid sock maker.

Every pattern I have used so far has turned out brilliantly and made me use my brain. It is the first book I have used for more than one pattern!

My family are now begging me not to give any more socks so I am looking around for feet!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stitches, 1 Mar. 2015
Margaret Foster (England) - See all my reviews
I have not knitted any socks from this book yet. I have given it 5 stars though because it has a wealth of new stitches to use elsewhere if you want to. The variety of socks is really broad. There are some that have a good lace pattern that can be used with shoes which is a bonus because many lace socks are too thick. To allow this the pattern ends at the ankle bone and the foot is plain. There is no lose of style though. Sock sizes can be adjusted by adjusting needle size or by relying on stretch. That is perhaps a little niggle. The sizes are a bit limited. I don't think this would be much of a problem for someone who can knit to this level anyway because repeats are given. I would say that it is not really a beginners' book. I would try plain socks to start with to get the hang of the terms and conditions of socks but once that is over with I wouldn't think there would be much trouble understanding this book's patterns. For the stitches alone the book is worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars :-), 2 April 2013
Super fin bog - den skal jeg nok få megen glæde af. og hvad skal jeg så skrive mere :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars New designs and new stitches., 15 Feb. 2015
I have started one pattern already and shall try several others. Instructions are good as both charts and written patterns are given. Long , short, lacy and thick are all covered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly illustrated,, 12 Jan. 2015
Savvy Gran "marnie" (West Country Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Good, readable, with clear punctures. Not actually tried one yet though.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful book, 30 Jan. 2010
J. M. Bastow (Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
A beautiful book, well written. Haven't tried the patterns yet but the stitches seems to be clearly explained. I think you will need to practise the stitches before attempting the socks. I would recommend this book for knitters looking for a new challenge !

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 27 Feb. 2015
Mary Kersey (West Walesl UK) - See all my reviews
Brilliant book and good service

Knitted Socks East and West: 30 Designs Inspired by Japanese Stitch Patterns