5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy for fans of Good Eats, 18 Oct. 2009
Paul Lynch (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Good Eats: The Early Years (Hardcover)
I am a big fan of the Good Eats show, even though my only access to it is via YouTube, and I have Alton Brown's three previous books from the series. There are 80 episodes covered in this first installment of three books (not two, as the Product Description claims), each with a short discussion of the themes of the show, a couple of recipes (called applications in the book), and some quotes and trivia. The recipes have all been reworked, some substantially; a few that I have checked have been exactly as given in the shows. Recipes have been adjusted to use weights (hurray!) rather than cup measures, where it is appropriate.

If you are looking for a basic cookbook, then this isn't it; but then, it doesn't claim to be. If you want to dig out some recipe that you half remember from an episode, or just would like a souvenir of the shows, you'll be very happy. I have made a number of the recipes; most work out very well, but some have quirks that give inedible results (for me) - I'll refer you to p156 and the "Duck!" recipe - which has become known in my household as "rubber duck" for an example. But I should emphasise that most recipes work well, especially the baking recipes.

This book is funny, good science, and above all Good Eats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and fun way to discover more about cooking, 16 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Good Eats: The Early Years (Hardcover)
Alton Brown teaches both the "hows" and the "whys" of cooking in a fun and engaging way in his Good Eats series. This book relates the first few seasons of his long running American Food Network series with recaps, still photos and all the recipes and related pertinent info. Although this book is an excellent companion to the episodes it also does a great job of standing on its own. Beginners and seasoned cooks alike will find this book useful and educational. Learning why things do what they do when they cook can help anyone become a better chef and this book does it in style. I cannot recommend Alton Brown enough. He has taken my love of cooking to new heights. And all this praise from someone who, on the whole, dislikes TV chefs.

It is worth noting that this book is published in the United States. All measurements, temperatures and ingredients are American. If you are unfamiliar with "translating" these into British equivalents then I recommend you do a little research first. As an American living in the UK I have found The 1997 Joy of Cooking to be an excellent reference for British cooks looking to get more familiar with American cooking. Besides being full of recipes and cooking techniques it has detailed descriptions of ingredients, an excellent selection of conversion and ingredient substitution tables, and a chart of food nutritional values.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recipes you can actually follow!, 14 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Good Eats: The Early Years (Hardcover)
Alton Brown is a latecomer to the UK since his show is only now being broadcast on Food Network UK. However i'd watched most of these already on YouTube. This book ended up being a good christmas present to my father. It's tongue is firmly set in it's cheek, one part informative, one part funny and one last part educational.

It helps the recipes (after some US to UK conversion) are very easy to do, which is more than you can say for most cookbooks. I await his next tome "Good Eats: The Middle Years" eagerly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 3 Jan. 2011
J. Soderholm (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Eats: The Early Years (Hardcover)
I love the show "Good Eats" so I bought the book without any hesitation. The book was even thicker then I thought and describes every episode including each recipe. So even though I loved the show I was impressed with the book and will order the next book today.

Highly recommended even if you never seen the show!

5.0 out of 5 stars Alton Brown at it's best!, 13 Aug. 2013
Karl E. Kristjánsson "Kalli" (Reykjavik, Iceland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Eats: The Early Years (Hardcover)
This book takes Alton Browns route to describing the WHY of recipes instead of only describing the HOW. I'm a fan of his shows and now I'm a fan of his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Reads, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Good Eats: The Early Years (Hardcover)
The book is very good quality, it was bought as a Christmas gift for my partner, and he loved it.

Good Eats: The Early Years
Good Eats: The Early Years by Alton Brown (Hardcover - 1 Oct. 2009)