Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 April 2010
I love vintage baby patterns and have quite a collection of them. I was expecting this book to be full of traditional designs but I was disappointed when it arrived. They are revamped versions of old patterns which is OK but they haven't chosen particularly nice designs. Most of the photos feature babies wearing garments far too small for them. Buttons gape badly which puts me off the design. There are only a couple of patterns that I would consider knitting from this book and one would need adaptation as the collar is oversized. Not one of my better buys. If you are looking for traditional vintage baby patterns then this isn't the book for you.
on 29 July 2009
I found this a lovely book to look at although some of the patterns are for laugh value only. I found trying to work out which yarns to use quite difficult and had a few starts and rip outs. This is not a book for the beginner as some of the patterns are difficult to read and understand. I will get use out of it but I would not recommend it. Borrow from the library.
on 31 August 2010
I bought this book in an American shop along with some cheap plastic aeroplane-friendly needles and less-fancy wool, as I was spending some time volunteering in the States and wanted an odd-moment occupation. I could be encountering cultural differences with the difficulties I found, as the patterns are for the most part functional and attractive and many of the ones I don't like at all appealed greatly to my American friends, and it's a simple enough job to leave out any potentially dangerous adornments. I'll be rewriting several of the patterns for my own future use, as there are some redundant instructions and some overlooked ones; for example the pattern for the very sweet toy elephant explicitly told me on separate lines to 'knit' Row 2, Row 4, Row 6, etc, rather than just saying 'next and following alternate rows: knit', but then I was left on my own to work out which end of the body seam I should attach to the trunk (not as obvious as it sounds, unless I was having an entire day off from rational thought), ending up with me undoing the last row of knitting on the body piece and fixing it that way (although that came out looking neat and not foreshortened, so if you have problems there that's my recommendation).

The book uses a wonderful variety of stitches, some of which are new favourites of mine, and the patterns don't absolutely require the expensive yarns, many of which seem to be only widely available in America. An international weight/needle size conversion chart (worsted = double knitting, etc) printed off the internet and tucked inside the front cover makes shopping for projects from US patterns a lot easier. All in all I'm very glad I bought this book and my friends with children will be inundated with clothing, accessories and toys from it :)
on 21 October 2013
I absolutely love the patterns in this book. I didn't know it existed until my daughter asked me to knit a cardigan, which is included among its pages. The patterns are charming, and from the 40's and 50's. They are shouting out at me to get started. My grandchild is due in March next year, so I will have to get knitting.
on 20 July 2009
Great book, lovely patterns. Only critisms are that a lot of the yarns she recommeneds are ones I've never heard of and am not sure i can get here in sunny swindon, and that a lot of the patterns have ribbons around the neck (!), though she does very sesbly surgest leaving them out.
Otherwise, brilliant. Definetly going to knit as many as I can.
on 5 June 2013
Mother loves this book!! was very very happy after looking for this online for ages. would highly recommend this book
on 12 August 2014
All of the patterns in this collection are winners - my needles are already humming through these designs.
on 6 April 2016
Lovely book, but not much I could use in here
on 9 January 2016
Fantastic little book just not for beginners
on 7 June 2010
A beautiful book with plenty of lovely patterns. As with any book you get a couple of dubious ones but I'm sure they'll appeal to others. I used this book to start knitting again after a break of 10 years - I started with the hooded moss stitch cardigan and was encouraged by my success. I have now knitted another 2 patterns and thoroughly enjoyed it with great results, including my first ever project knitting on the round. By matching up gauge of yarn I haven't found it difficult to find inexpensive and suitable yarns in Glasgow. If you're looking to knit baby clothes that are a little different from usual then this book is perfect.