5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and different recipes for delicious treats!
This book is really wonderful, although you may think you've seen some of the recipes before most of them use different techniques or ingredients to the norm. Everything I have tried has turned out beautifully - I am an avid baker and run a mail order cake and cookie shop - and think this is one of the best baking books I own (I own A LOT!).

I have seen people...
Published on 27 May 2010 by Miss Whittington

3.0 out of 5 stars great ideas, but needs better recipe excution
I was so excited when I got this book, there are some wonderful ideas, and flavor combinations and the woodys theme of the book is super stylish. But, (unfortunately there is a 'but') some of these recipes are off, like the peanut butter cookies, and the chocolate chip cookies are cakey instead of chewy.
The chipotle scones are a big disappointment, after going to...
Published on 18 April 2011 by happybirdbaker

3.0 out of 5 stars great ideas, but needs better recipe excution, 18 April 2011
This review is from: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking (Hardcover)
The chipotle scones are a big disappointment, after going to the trouble of specially ordering chipotle powder (chili or cayenne would work fine instead), they were very average.
I do like the red velvet recipe, but their cinnamon buttercream that goes along with it is too watery to ice a cake. The sweet and salty cake is amazing, but the directions for the cake are really complicated to follow...I think I would just follow their direction on how to make the saltly caramal sauce for the cake and use another chocolate cake recipe I have that is easier to follow.
The suger cookies with royal icing came out superb, as did the banana coffee muffins. There award winning brownie recipe is average, (although it does taste better cold then hot). The granola recipe is amazing, I make it on a weekly basis.
I can't help but feel the guys from the Baked bakery purposely left out or altered the recipes for this book. I really don't want to categorize it as one of those recipe books that doesn't work, but that is the impression I'm left with:( I will keep trying recipes from this book, but I can't help but feel that this book could have been so much more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and different recipes for delicious treats!, 27 May 2010
This review is from: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking (Hardcover)

I have seen people complain about ingredients that you cannot get in the UK. The main one I have seen is corn cyrup which appears in many American recipes. This can be substituted by using honey or golden syrup in the same quantities, or you can make a simple syrup by reducing down sugar and water and again matching the quantity used in the recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a beautiful thing indeed to be "Baked.", 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking (Hardcover)
I first saw Baked: New Frontiers in Baking while on vacation. My willpower not to buy any more baking books lasted for exactly one week until I swooped into my local bookstore, drooled, purchased, raced home, and whipped up a killer batch of the Baked Brownie. The balance of chocolate (11 ounces), butter (two sticks), a dash of espresso powder, a mix of granulated and brown sugar, and a hefty dose of eggs (five) give this brownie the ideal texture: the perfect marriage of fudgy and cakey without being runny or dense.

The next recipe I tried was the pumpkin chocolate chip loaf (the recipe makes two loaves). A seemingly straightforward blend of canned pumpkin puree, spices (allspice, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg), and chocolate, the complex flavors of spice and pumpkin were complementary without overwhelming. Although the recipe calls for one cup of vegetable oil, you also dilute it with 2/3-cup tap water, so the bread is pleasantly moist without being greasy or oily (I've had that happen all too many times in many quick breads).

Next on my list was the Brewer's Blondie, a hopped-up blend of of malt powder, malt balls, semisweet chocolate, and walnuts. Bars are one of Baked's strengths, including a decadent grown-up Rice Krispy bar, the elegant Honeycomb Bar (sweet tart dough topped with dried fruit, honey, and a shot of booze), S'more nut bars, and the Baked bar. There are also more complicated layer cakes (chocolate malt, chocolate/caramel/sea salt, Whiteout, Red Velvet), cookies, and breakfast treats such as scones, granola (yay, finally a low-oil granola full of fruit!), and quick breads. Pies and tarts? Feast on Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie, Tuscaloosa Tollhouse Pie, Peanut Butter Pie with Cookie Crust and Easy Fudge Sauce, and Classic Diner-Style Chocolate Pie.

Baked has been featured on Martha Stewart, Oprah (their Baked Brownie had a centerfold spread in O), and on several high-profile shows, but does Baked live up to its claims of being revolutionary? That's a more difficult cookie to crumble. Sure, there are gourmet additions such as matcha, chipotle, and fleur de sel, but most of the Baked repertoire is firmly descended from comfort cooking, such as the Root Beer Cake, a modern update on the Southern staple Coca-Cola (or Dr. Pepper) cake, or the red velvet spiced up with Red Hots. Ditto on the divine Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie. It's still amazing, whether or not it's smashing any new culinary boundaries.

Even if you never cook a single recipe from Baked, the clever graphics (garden gnomes, plastic deer perched on a mound of fluffy coconut snow), useful sidebars (including variations), and notes make this a great investment. This is one of my favorite cookbooks ever, and I hope that it will become yours as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The new gods of home baking, 10 May 2009
Emma Stevenson (West Lothian, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking (Hardcover)
Baked is certainly exploring new frontiers in baking. Not only do all the recipies make your mouth water when you read them but so far every one I have tried has been a winner. The recipies have become fast favourites with my family and friends (none of whom are strangers to home baking) and although many require a bit of effort it is well worth it. The only thing this book lacks is that every recipie doesn't have its own photo. It averages out to every second recipie. I have remedied this by going to the Baked NYC shop website to see photos of what my cakes should look like. Best £11.50 I ever spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 23 Jan 2011
This review is from: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking (Hardcover)
An excellent book, clearly written, with a good mix of traditional recipes (scones, cookies, brownies) and new ideas.

It's worth buying for the Brownie recipe alone, as they are absolutely amazing, perfectly chocolatey, fudgy and moist.

The book uses American measurements (cups, tablespoons for odd ingredients like butter, fahrenheit), but does have a conversion chart in the back; cup measures can be found in any supermarket.

Someone else has mentioned that there are some obscure ingredients; the only one I could see was corn syrup. You can simply substitute golden syrup and it works just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking (Hardcover)
I really love it!!! It has so many tasty recipes!!! Lot of work to do 😀 I am a very happy girl!!

5.0 out of 5 stars mouth watering book, 16 Mar 2011
This review is from: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking (Hardcover)
Lovely books..full of mouthwatering recipes, maybe would have liked a few more pictures, but then I'm the kind of gal who likes to see a photo of each recipe so I kind of know what mine is supposed to look like (although maybe sometimes that isn't such a good thing, at least if you don't know what it is supposed to look like, it can't be wrong!)
Great recipes, have treid several, and all turned out very good, good tips too...can't wait to visit the actual Bakery in May!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aah that malteser cake...., 4 July 2009
Nic Curran (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking (Hardcover)
This book has turned out to be the best cake baking book I have ever bought and God knows I've bought a few. It's worth the price just for the Chocolate malteser cake alone. The instructions are always straightforward, the results are perfect every time and everything I have made so far, everyone wants the recipes. Top banana! Aah that malteser cake....

5.0 out of 5 stars Bake-tastic, 16 Oct 2010
Simon Tavener - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking (Hardcover)
It must be because I am dieting at the moment, but I am spending lots of time reading and enjoying baking books. This is a great addition to my collection. Innovative, clear, well-designed and tempting recipes. The presentation of the material is straightforward and inspirational. The flavour combinations range from the traditional to the completely new - and all (other than those involving evil coconut and almonds) are ones I want to eat.

Yes, it is a US cookbook and so the measurements are in cups and some of the ingredients not that readily available. But that matters naught to me. The internet allows you to easily convert measurements, obtain obscure ingredients or find ideal substitutes very quickly.

A cookbook for me is the start of a cookery journey. It should inspire and instruct and make me want to get cooking. I may not follow the recipes to the letter but this book has made me want to create my own versions or even invent something new.

Well worth a look

3.0 out of 5 stars Baked review, 8 Nov 2010
This review is from: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking (Hardcover)
I bought this book because I saw the Brewers Blondies on a blog and they looked absolutely delicious. There are lots of delicious looking recipes, I say looking because I haven't tried a lot but if you don't have a sweet tooth this book definitely isn't for you! The measurements are American, so are in cups, ounces as well. They have a conversion chart in the back though and as I measure in grams this is very helpful. There are some unusual measurements, like '18 tablespoons' of butter which I thought was a bit silly but oh well. Instructions are easy to follow and set out in a clear and helpful way. There are some unusual recipes like a sweet and salty cake and peanut butter chocolate pie. It's certainly not an essential and if you have just started baking I wouldn't buy it as on of your first books because a lot of the recipes do involve a lot of work and the recipes are very different.

Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
Baked: New Frontiers in Baking by Renato Poliafito (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2008)