5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book
Published on 3 Nov 2008 by BeautifulThings

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly bland
I bought this book along with a number of other sewing books, and was very disappointed with it.

Published on 15 Feb 2010 by Ripleygirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 3 Nov 2008
This review is from: Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household: 25 Cute Projects from Japan (Stc Craft) (Paperback)
I think Zakka is very like Arts and Crafts; it's not enough for something to be functional, it has to be beautiful, too. Here in the UK it's very hard to find Japanese craft magazines (and, quite difficult to understand the patterns, too, apparently - well, they are in Japanese!), so to have access to some patterns and ideas that we can actually make is very exciting.
This is a lovely book. There are some very simple ideas, like placemats, but there are also some quite complicated projects, such as the camera bag, which is super-cute and probably worth the price of the book alone. The projects are graded as to difficulty, and there is information about the designers and the projects. The projects themselves are all very tasteful and beautifully designed.
The book suggests top quality felt or linen for the projects, as the Japanese prefer to use natural fabrics (even interfacing!), and I think it's reasonable to say that nothing in here is going to look particularly great if it's made up in that nasty acrylic felt which is mostly what is available here. But that's just a good excuse to go to the fabric shop, I guess!

5.0 out of 5 stars More like this please, 30 Dec 2008
I. John-Charles (London UK) - See all my reviews
Finally someone has realised the need for this book! I love the Japanese zakka style of sewing. Everything is beautiful in this book and I know at some point I will make all the projects as gifts. I have already managed to make the placemats, tote bag and fabric box/container. The instructions are easy to follow, easy to customise with different fabrics that you have on hand and so unique that you won't be able to wait to make more. I wish there was more books like this. I do have 3 Japanese craft books which I can just about guess what to do by the pictures but to have one in English is amazing. Please do some more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful projects, 1 April 2009
Miss Jowyn N. Jenson "jowynj" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm so pleased with this book. Each project is beautiful to look at. So far I have made the fabric basket and really enjoyed it. The instructions are thorough and easy to follow. I love this delicate and simple style of Zakka sewing. I wish there were more books out there like this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait to get started!, 19 Nov 2008
K. Smart (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I am so glad I found this book. I want to make some Christmas presents this year and was getting so dishearted at all the ugly sewing patterns out there. So many are not beautiful or something I would like to give to someone as a gift. I love all the projects in this book and there is a great range of levels. I'm a novice at sewing but there are quite a few projects I can begin at and work my way up to the more difficult ones. The projects are very stylish and modern, there isn't one project I don't like. The instructions seem very clear although I have yet to start a project as I only got the book yesterday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and endearing patterns, 29 Jun 2009
roses (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
A lovely book showcasing endearing patterns with lots of nice photos and illustrations. The patterns are clear, and instructions are well written, there is also a section dedicated to techniques and tips, which is very handy for beginners and also a great resource for reference. The projects ranges in three difficulty levels and for various parts of the home, which means most crafter will get atleast something out of this book. The book also contains guidance on where to get your supplies and particularly Japanese sourced materials. A good book to have in any crafter's collection!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly bland, 15 Feb 2010

The trigger for me to buy it was the cover photo, and I was hoping for some stylish, slightly different projects. Instead, I find the majority of projects to be extremely basic and quite dull - there are instructions for a square pot holder, plain napkins, a basic drawstring bag, a teatowel apron, an applique cushion and some placemats. A couple of other projects look a bit more interesting (a pair of slippers and some floral coasters) but are not practical enough for me to make them. The photography is dull and uninspiring, and after the first couple of pages there is no text other than instructions.

At the same time I've bought Weekend Sewing and Sewing Green, both of which contain beautiful photography, inspiring text and ideas I will actually make. I would strongly recommend either of these books instead. Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired StitchingSewing Green: 25 Projects Made with Repurposed and Organic Materials

I am returning this book for a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and Fresh Approach to Needlecrafts, 3 Sep 2009
I was not disappointed with this book. The projects are original and interesting and the style is contemporary and far from being twee.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who thought needlecrafts were for grannies or need some style inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars cute, 20 July 2009
This is such a fantastic book full of gorgeous things to make. There are lots of different levels of sewing ability to make it a good gift for that sewing someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really nice book, 26 Feb 2010
I really like this book. If I had to describe it, it would be "modern Cute" the projects are neat and the directions clear. I'm really likely to buy more from this range. there are a few patterns for purses and pouches - how many does a girl need? but good for presents etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars So cute., 20 Feb 2010
Ms. L. Deadman "Sew Easy!" (paradise) - See all my reviews
When I saw the squirrel teapot cosy on the front cover I had to have this book! So lovely :D

The projects are really nice but mainly for the home (which is fine but I was hoping for a few Japanese inspired clothing projects! Ah well)

There are some really cute and kitschy projects. Great things to make for yourself or for friends as presents. Really nice and unusual!