4.0 out of 5 stars Weekend Sewing
Finally a modern sewing book that goes beyond aprons and bags! Yes Weekend Sewing has adult clothes in it, and they are lovely!

Published on 18 April 2009 by Crafty Claire

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of errors!
Lots of the reviews of this book are from people who have only read the book, and not attempted to make anything from it.

They are indeed right in saying it looks great and is full of lots of exciting projects, but there are LOTS of errors in it and not minor ones either!

Published on 9 May 2010 by Clare Mccann

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Weekend Sewing, 18 April 2009
This review is from: Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching (Hardcover)

I have now made 4 items from Weekend Sewing, and am pretty pleased with the results. The book has some lovely casual "weekend" style clothes in there (3 dresses, blouse, tops, skirts, pyjamas ans also some children's clothes, plus accessories and things for the house)

Visually it is very good, great pictures and illustrations to show you how to do it. I have also refered to Heather Ross's weekend website for errata, plus the flickr site for other advice. Most people find the blouse is too short, so I added an extra 4" before I started with that, and it came out fine.

I would rate myself at a beyond beginner stage but still have a lot to learn, and this book is definitely helping me pick up new techniques. For the c9 I paid for it, it is a bargain, plus all the pattern pieces are in the covers, all you need to do is trace them and you can get sewing.

(I would say the sizing is quite large, ie a small in this book would fit a UK 12, no problem if you are good at adapting patterns) The sizes, I think are for UK size 12-16/18.

I am pleased I have this book, I still have a few more things that I wish to make from it, so it's definitely good value for money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of errors!, 9 May 2010
Clare Mccann (Elgin, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

I have now made two projects from it. The pajamas, which seemed to have a very strange shape to them and ended up in the bin, and the yard-sale wrap skirt which had MASSIVE errors in the instructions and ended up taking up lots more fabric than is specified.

If you are considering buying this book have a look at the "errata" on Heather Ross's own website, which will show you all the mistakes in it, and have a look at the many discussions on Flickr by people who have tried to make the projects.

If you are an experienced sewer you can probably work round the mistakes, but I would not recommend it for beginners.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weekend Sewing, 30 April 2009
J. Lofty "Jan Lofty" (Carmarthenshire, West Wales, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Some of the projects in this book felt slightly dated but other than that, a very useful and informative read. Really clear, non-fussy instructions which were easy to follow with some useful tips along the way. Would be a great book for someone just getting into sewing, but any level will find it of interest. Lovely childs kimono project. Patterns included, so you just need to choose fabric and thread to get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!, 16 April 2009
Andy Grant (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
I read a review for this in Sew Hip Magazine and being a fan of Heather Ross I knew I needed to make space for this in my sewing room! The book arrive yesterday and looks fantastic. The instructions are clear & easy to follow and I am now busy planning what to make first, probably the PJ's.

If you love sewing or have been wanting to try and make something for yourself or home this is the book for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to love this book......but, 26 Feb 2010
I love the book, and the layout, The projects are cool and modern and there seem to be a lot of them.

The first think to do is to check the errata - and there are quite a few of them. Its a shame that they weren't picked up before the book was published. Heather if you are reading this, I offer to trial any patterns in your next book for you to pick up any snags (in exchange for a free book!)

I made the skirt that is on the front cover and even after adding 2 extra panels it is still coming up on the small side (which believe me is not what you want with a wrapskirt...!) I think the pattern is too narrow rather than too few panels in it.

I'm going to give it one more go and make the kimono style dress but I did expect a little more as in patterns that work. I'm confident enough to make alterations to patterns to make them fit, but it might be more tricky for a novice sewer.

On the plus side, the directions seem good and the extra sections at the back and front about sewing space, sewing kit and fabric etc are nice. and there are a lot of projects in the book. The bag looks good and I might make that too - at least it won't matter if that comes up small or big!

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous book love it !!!!!, 8 Oct 2009
Mrs. T. Mcquade (England) - See all my reviews
This really is a fab book which has inspired me !!!!!Well worth the money due to the patterns alone Tried hard to put something in for every one so some things dont appeal but plenty that does !! Have run up a couple of the things so easy !! this book come highly recommend from me and ive bought some dud ones over the years!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant but not great for me, 24 May 2009
Mrs. S. Leavesley (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as I have recently begun sewing again after a long hiatus and I was attracted by the bright and funky looking designs. Plus one of the above reviews referred to the generous sizing of the patterns.

The book is pitched about right for a sewer of my level, with plenty of clear and helpful instructions. Unfortunately it is also almost entirely useless to me, as I fall outside the 'generous' sizing - the largest finished bust size in the book is a 43" and several of the patterns which I was most interested in only go up to a 40".

So, if like me you are a busty lady looking to make clothes which will actually fit and flatter - unlike the majority of the high street- I would suggest unless you know how to alter a pattern already or are prepare to just stop breathing for the sake of some really cute clothes, this is not the book for you.

That said, if you're lucky enough to fit within the parameters of the patterns, it's a really lovely book and I would definitely make some if not all of the clothes here. And the baby clothes and bags are gorgeous.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 13 Sep 2009
Beautiful photographs - find it hard to get past the first large painted computer cupboard & end up daydreaming of my own station all tidy, colourful & lovely...

As for the patterns - have only made the blouse & check book cover sao far but both very easy to follow. (& personally as a larger lady (size 16) didn't find fitting any problem)

Edit to as my sewing habits have changed & I am now really into making my own clothes & have to say this book is the one I have returned to time & time again. I have lots of sewing books & this is my best & most looked at.

The kimono dress & obi belt are a firm fav. I have made them in cotton lawn for summer, jersey for autumn & wool for winter - in fact it has turned into a bit of a uniform for me!

Lovely book, bonus patterns & extremely good value for money. Great gift for self and or others.

3.0 out of 5 stars weekend sewing, 20 July 2009
L. Mills (lancashire) - See all my reviews
I got a sewing machine for Christmas and have only just got round to attempting to use it. I bought this book and sewing for dummies. Weekend Sewing has great patterns in it for beginners like me but perhaps not enough information about the do's and don'ts. Luckily I had the duller but informative sewing for dummies for that side of things. I can only count 29 actual projects, but I would attempt most of them. I have already made the big and useful bag and pyjama bottoms which I never would have thought I could. I agree with a previous reviewer about the small sizing though. A cheerful inspiring book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for a weekend!, 10 July 2009
I love this book! Lots of lovely projects which are great if you don't have loads of time on your hands.
My 4 year old daughter picked one of the dresses and I was able to whip it up in a couple of hours. The dress is so nice she now wants one in every colour!
Very easy and clear instructions with pictures to help you along the way. The book also provides you with information on techniques etc and is written in a way that isn't patronising - which I have found with some other sewing books.
Great for someone who is moving on from the basics and wants to see the final result from their efforts in just a few hours.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›