5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice book, lots of nice things to make
I received this book as a present, and was very impressed. The quality of the book itself is very good, and the photos of the projects are gorgeous.

Published on 26 Jan 2008 by S. Gilmore

3.0 out of 5 stars beautiful photos
This is not step by step book, if you do not have patchwork experience at all like myself and English it is not your first language, i don't recommend this book. The projects and photos are great. I'm glad i bought it, but i will use it as a guide for my projects only when i learn more about quilting and patchwork.
Published on 19 Oct 2008 by CherryBomb

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice book, lots of nice things to make, 26 Jan 2008
S. Gilmore (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts (Hardcover)

The projects themselves are generally easy to make, especially if you have some quilting experience - but even if you're a beginner, you'd be able to handle them. There is a section explaining techniques and materials etc, which is well-explained.

They don't require exotic materials; everything you need is easy to get, and they are adaptable, so you could tweak a lot of them to suit whatever you have to hand.

There are quite a few presents for babies - a pillow, quilt, toys, wall hangings - all of which are lovely. There are also some household projects - coasters (very stylish - and could easily be made into placemats by making them bigger), cushions, a picnic rug, decorative things. There are some presents for sewers - a needle book, pincushions... and a decorated notebook, which again could be customised.

If all your friends are single, childless, don't like sewing, and very into modern decor, there might not be so much you could make as presents, but personally I will be making a lot of these things for myself and for friends' children!

A great book, has lots of great ideas, and definitely a springboard for many more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas and gorgeous fabrics, 30 May 2009
This review is from: Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts (Hardcover)
I had to write a review simply to bump the star rating of this book up a bit... It's a book of last minute gifts after all, so I think it's a bit unfair to expect much in the way of complicated projects from it. Having said that, there are several projects in here which are certainly more complicated (or look it) than in many of the similar books on the market (where I often wonder why they even bother giving you a pattern). Sure there are simple ones too, but that's the point when you want to get something made in a couple of hours (like making a pencil roll an hour before a children's birthday party!). The photos are gorgeous and the use of fabrics is really inspirational - the colour wheel quilt for example is just a stunner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely quilting projects, but not making photos to help you, 4 Aug 2008
J. Maule (Bedford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts (Hardcover)
THis book has some lovely patchwork/quilting projects. Not sure how you'd cut out all the fabric, sew and quilt in the time they suggest.
My only gripe is that I love to see lots of photos rather than pages of text instructions... esp the technical info at the back of the book. It comes with a pattern but no where to store the pattern once detatched.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely designed book, 4 July 2010
I. M. Piper (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts (Hardcover)
A good range of sewing and quilting patterns. I bought this for one specific pattern (the colour wheel quilt), but was pleasantly surprised to find a number of other projects I fancy making at some point.

The book is beautifully presented with some excellent photographs. I found tracing the patterns (included on a fold out sheet at the back of the book) a right pain, and would consider paying extra for pre-cut templates. The later sections on techniques covered all the basics, but if I were a beginner I'd find things easier to follow with some more pictures. Similarly, I would've found the pattern instructions simpler if there had been more diagrams and fewer words!

It's a nice book, with some nice projects, but perhaps not the easiest to follow for a complete beginner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost 100%!, 23 Feb 2012
Cannizaro (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts (Hardcover)
I love this book. Lovely designs and projects. However, there is just one thing that stops me giving a full 100% rating and that is - the templates do not show the stitching lines! I'm not daft but I spent over 30 minutes wondering what I had done wrong when the instructions said "...place right sides together and stitch, leaving a gap for stuffing as marked on template...", which I did (the belly of the elephant). However, that was not right and I spent ages, it seemed, wondering how the next stage would fit. I undid what I had sewed and in the end I put the whole project together in a different order, marked the templates (for future use), and hey presto! Wonderful fat elephant! I would have liked a couple of simple diagrams with the written instructions. It would have saved me unnecessary time and frayed material - not forgetting a frayed temper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful projects. Lots of good information., 9 Mar 2010
This review is from: Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts (Hardcover)
Very beutifull projects! Good explanations. Lots of good information from color mixing to sew tecnics.

5.0 out of 5 stars patchwork quilted gifts, 11 Dec 2009
L. Pointer (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts (Hardcover)
A very inspiring & beautiful book. Really lovely photos that make you want to make each & every item. Good clear instructions & as it says has lots of lovely projects that can be done in very limited time so ideal for the busy person who wants to make that something special & personal

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Patchwork and Quilt book, 13 Oct 2009
This review is from: Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts (Hardcover)
I have owned this book for over a year now, and have not only made several things from it (all having turned out brilliantly) it's the book I go to for "how to" on quilting and patchwork. The designs are modern and beautiful. The instructions perfect. I would consider myself an advanced beginner, and can easily cope with these projects because it is written so well. TO the woman who down graded the book because English is not her first language, that's hardly the book's fault!!!

I would definitely recommend this book. I'm wishing Joelle would write another one!

3.0 out of 5 stars beautiful photos, 19 Oct 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Next on my list, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts (Hardcover)
Next on my list to quilt something. Loads of choice can't wait to make a quilt. Looks quite clear instructions and will enjoy choosing.

Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts
Last-minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2007)
11.16